Front License Plate Holder for 2013 Escape

Body, tires, rims, brush guards, step bars, paint, detailing...

Front License Plate Holder for 2013 Escape

Postby mbrun - September 10th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Ford does not sell one, I checked with parts. The 2013 escape has divots in the front bumper where holes are expected to be drilled to mount a license plate holder. There is extra material behind these divots presumably to provide the needed grip for screws. Only I cannot find a model specific or a universal license plate bracket that aligns with these holes and I do not want to mount my front license to the bumper by drilling random holes in the thin bumper material. Has anyone found a universal or model specific front license plate bracket that works with the 2013 Escape?
2013 Ford Escape
mbrun

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Front License Plate Holder for 2013 Escape

Postby MDSCAPE12 - September 10th, 2012, 10:47 pm

If you live in a state that requires two license plates they should provide them.
MDSCAPE12

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2013 Taurus SEL FWD V6
My vehicle's name: Keeping WARWAGON FOR NOW.

Postby mbrun - September 11th, 2012, 7:14 pm

MDSCAPE12 wrote:If you live in a state that requires two license plates they should provide them.

Dealer says ford does not have one (yet). I have to drill holes in front bumper and screw plate directly to bumper. They will do it for me so that is not the issue. It is that the front end is made to receive a plate holder. Where the holder would mount there is reinforcing to receive the bracket screws. There is no reinforcing in the plastic where the actual plate screws go.
2013 Ford Escape
mbrun

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby tuxtanium - September 12th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Was at the dealer today (Ontario, we have front plates) I saw the dimples you're referring to (red dots in the picture below), however all the plates were not attached there. Two self-taping screws were used in the honeycomb section (blue dots).

I did find this:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112899
tuxtanium
tuxtanium

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: G
My vehicle: 2014 Ford Focus Titanium HB
My vehicle's name: Black Betty

Postby mbrun - September 12th, 2012, 7:13 pm

lilblue wrote:Was at the dealer today (Ontario, we have front plates) I saw the dimples you're referring to (red dots in the picture below), however all the plates were not attached there. Two self-taping screws were used in the honeycomb section (blue dots).

The dimples for the screws on mine are in the honeycomb area as you suggest but they are located just above the horizontal centerline. So did the dealer just drill the honeycomb area and use ST screws to hold the plate? How are the plates in Ontario different from US plates? Do you know?
2013 Ford Escape
mbrun

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby tuxtanium - September 12th, 2012, 7:29 pm

mbrun wrote:
The dimples for the screws on mine are in the honeycomb area as you suggest but they are located just above the horizontal centerline. So did the dealer just drill the honeycomb area and use ST screws to hold the plate? How are the plates in Ontario different from US plates? Do you know?

Ohh, okay. I didn't see any dimples in the honeycomb. Probably because all the ones I saw had screws in them already. Plates are the same size up here as they are in the US.

It looks Mickey Mouse to me. A Fiesta gets a plate braket, but not an Escape?
tuxtanium
tuxtanium

E-C LEVEL 5
My nickname: G
My vehicle: 2014 Ford Focus Titanium HB
My vehicle's name: Black Betty

Postby ajc6882 - September 12th, 2012, 10:14 pm

use some 3M exterior grade double sided tape. That is what I used on my 3000GT for years. It holds really good. Just clean the area with rubbing alcohol and apply a couple strips. If you need to remove it just heat it up with a blow dryer and slowly remove or use some fishing line and cut it free. Use only the 3M automotive tape with the red film and the medium gray foam because the white stuff is junk.
ImageImage
2004 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 SOLD
2012 Ford Edge Limited AWD
ajc6882

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: Andre'
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 4X4

Postby mbrun - September 21st, 2012, 10:02 pm

Well it is not fancy but I found and settled on the metal license plate bracket from Dorman HELP. I found it online at oReilly. I was able to drill holes in the metal bracket to align with the dimples and use the screws that came with the car. Now I am legal. If / when Ford does there job and come out with a more appropriate bracket perhaps I will swap.

Thanks for the responses.
2013 Ford Escape
mbrun

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby dumpystig - September 21st, 2012, 10:17 pm

Drilling holes in your plate to match the pre-molded 'divot' sounds the best
dumpystig

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2002 Ford Maverick 3.0 Limited

Postby wyowookie - October 13th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Ok, I got it. Pop off the front facia where the license plate is mounted (honeycomb). There ar four tabs towards the outer edge. there is also a Christmas Tree Clip on the bottom of the facia. When you pull it off, you will see the shafts where the standard distance license plate screws are supposed to go. Then tada!, when you look on the front side again, THEN you will see the other set of divits are for the screws. Therefore, no bracket is required.

Good Luck!

Brooke Raser
Laramie Peak Motors
(Ford)
wyowookie

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Exterior Mods