Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Conversion to Sport Appearance Package (EXTERIOR)

16K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  atran416 
#1 ·
The only SAP Escapes that I have seen photos of are from Canada. Has this, is this, or will this package ever be available in the United States?

I think I'd like to convert my XLT to the SAP look. The following are the EXTERIOR parts I'd expect to change out:

• 17" x 7" Premium black wheels (4) with machined perimeter finished ring
    Blacked-Out headlamp treatment
    High gloss black grill
    High gloss front appliqué
    Gloss black mirrors
    Liftgate spoiler
    Body color door handles
    Body color rocker moldings

I'd like to use this thread to source these EXTERIOR parts, both from Ford and aftermarket.

#2 ·
I hope you have a lot of money or good relations with nearby junkyards. I asked the dealership to quote the colored grille and they wanted a lot of money... can't imagine what it would take to get all the wheels, the grille, spoiler (though those are all over eBay)

#3 ·
I asked the dealership to quote the colored grille and they wanted a lot of money... can't imagine what it would take to get all the wheels, the grille, spoiler (though those are all over eBay)
I've noticed that some of the 2008 Limited models have grilles painted to match the body color. (There's a nice black one on eBay right now) So maybe one will turn up on eBay or in a junkyard. Or perhaps someone on this forum would like to swap out their glossy black grille for a shiny chrome model. :peace:

The wheels I think will be hard to come by. There's a posting somewhere on this forum of a black escape with the Torq-Thrust style wheels found on the Mustang Bullitt. They look similar to the SAP wheels, but not close enough that you'd mistake one for the other. They might be a suitable substitution.

#6 ·
It looks like I can get most of the interior pieces without breaking the bank. The exterior is probably another story.

One reason I like the SAP exterior is because the black trim breaks up the somewhat monotone exterior. I may be able to accomplish most of what I want just by adding a pinstripe. I'll see. I'm in the investigation stage at the moment. I'll certainly entertain any ideas you might have.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I've seen a few in NJ. Took pics at one dealership (Ridgewood) a few weeks ago and posted them
How about that. I didn't realize that was in USA. Evidently it is available in black, silver and red. Has anyone spotted a silver SAP?

#11 ·
Finally someone besides myself that is highly interested in the SAP. Please post the prices for the interior trim pieces with the product #..The dealer quoted me $269 for EACH headlight...so for the time being that is on hold. Im not too interested in the rims, may go with gloss black centered 20's with a chrome lip once the truck is lowered. Hopefully since the Escape has sold well during the clunker debacle, there might be some interesting aftermarket fender flares in the horizon.

#16 ·
The dealer quoted me $269 for EACH headlight...
I would imagine that you can just have the stock headlamps tinted. I wouldn't expect that to be very expensive. Just don't tint it too much.

I now have a gloss black center piece for the dashboard. I bought a 6-disc CD changer on eBay for $89 that came with the glossy black bezel. I haven't decided if I'm gonna try to install the radio/cd changer or just swap out the bezel.

Now I'm searching for the top section of the center bezel, where the information display is located, in glossy black.

I think the bottom portion where the USB and Aux connections are located could just be stained black.

#17 ·
:D Dealer quoted me $250 for the headlights... well, each. :hyst:

There is a silver Escape SAP roaming around Minneapolis-Saint Paul. Saw it recently... and I'm not sure I like the contrast.

Also, as for the wheels, the only vehicles in the Ford line-up that don't use the 4.5x5 pattern are the Focus (4 bolt) and the F-150/Expedition platform (six bolt), so you have a large variety of options to choose from. I say you go for the 20" wheels that came on AWD Explorers and Mountaineers...

#18 ·
I say you go for the 20" wheels that came on AWD Explorers and Mountaineers..
20" wheels are going to be heavy, and they push that weight to the outer portion of the wheel. So acceleration and braking don't work as well. I doubt I'll go over 17".

I've been thinking about a combo with 17" X 8" wheel with 265/55/R17 tires. This will change the diameter from the stock 29" to 28.5". So it will have a lower wider stance. Only problem is that particular tire size is very rare. I found a Firestone that size, but in the future I might have to change to a larger diameter 255/60R17.

Here's a pic of that silver Escape with SAP from the Ford website.

#19 ·
The stock 17s are only 28.5", and are a puny, skinny 225/65. (I have them, and don't like them -- even though they are Cross Terrains). A 235/60 will drop you down to 28.1". A 255/60 will bring you up to 29" -- but bring you to normal stock height of the 16s (235/70/16). A 235/65/17 will also bring you to 29" (which is what should have come stock on the optional 17s).

I'm with you on the "against large, heavy, oversized wheels/tires". I don't want to lose any power/acceleration -- although a larger tire would look better. When mine wear out (can't wait), I'm torn between a 235/60 or 235/65.

#22 ·
I saw a silver one not long ago here in Pa; it was ok. The blacked out look doesn't do it for me, but think the black ones look cool. The black wheels are actually just covers. I'm guessing you have the Limited like I do? The covers on the 17" chromes are just that, covers, so you may be able to just procure the covers and save some money on that. I like the body color look myself and was considering painting my grille. Why not paint yours black? It shouldn't be a lot of money.

#23 ·
tinting the headlights will not produce the same effect. At most, if you do not purchase the lights from the dealer, you would have to open the plastic-glass housing and paint the chrome bezel black. A nice exhaust kit and the supercharger add-on will cure all acceleration problems with adding 20" rims.

#25 ·
Wheel / Tire Sizes

Stock Escape (all models) - 16x7 | 235/70R16 = 29" diameter
Optional Escape Limited - 17x7 | 225/65R17 = 28.5" diameter
Proposed Modification - 17x8 | 265/55R17 = 28.5" diameter

At tirerack.com they only have one tire available that is 265/55R17. Firestone Firehawk GTA 02. Does anyone have any experience with this tire, or tire size?

#26 ·
Whew -- no direct experience, but based on price/reviews on tirerack, I would pick another size. If you currently have the stock 16s height, and want 17s, I'd go with 255/60/17 as your widest choice. This will keep your speedometer accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.