CAMSHAFT TICK NOISE - 3.0L 4V ENGINE ONLY
This article supersedes TSB 04-20-8 to update the vehicle model years and Service Procedure.
Some 2001-2005 Taurus/Sable, 2001-2006 Escape and 2005-2006 Mariner vehicles built prior to 1-17-2006 equipped with the 3.0L 4V Duratec engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the left bank cylinder head, with the engine at normal operating temperature only.
To diagnose, with the engine running and warm (normal operation temperature), using a mechanic's stethoscope determine if the ticking noise is coming from the left hand intake camshaft at cylinder number 6, (Figure 1). If the ticking noise can be verified, refer to the following Service Procedure.
1. Remove the left bank valve cover. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01B.
2. Rotate the engine clock wise until the cylinder number 6 intake cam lobes are pointing up and the valves are fully closed.
3. Remove all left hand intake cam caps individually and reinstall them finger tight.
THE CAMSHAFT CAPS MUST BE COMPLETELY LIFTED OFF AND THEN SET BACK INTO POSITION. LOOSENING AND RE-TORQUEING CAP BOLTS IS NOT SUFFICIENT.
4. Torque bolts in sequence shown in Figure 2 to 72 lb-in (8 N.m) excluding cam cap number 8L camshaft cap.
5. Using a screw driver positioned on each side of the top of cam cap number 8L (Figure 3) apply hand pressure and shift cam cap number 8L toward the exhaust side of the cylinder head.
6. While holding cam cap number 8L in the shifted position, torque the fasteners number 9 (inboard) first, to 72 lb-in (8 N.m) then torque fastener number 10 (Figure 3).
7. Install the left hand camshaft cover. Refer to appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 303-01.
8. Fully warm the engine to normal operating temperature to verify the repair.
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|060305A||2001-2003 Taurus/Sable: Remove And Install The Camshaft Caps Includes Time To Remove And Install Valve Cover (Do Not Use With 6007A10, 6250AL, 6584AL)|
|060305A||2004-2005 Taurus/Sable: Remove And Install The Camshaft Caps Includes Time To Remove And Install Valve Cover (Do Not Use With 6007A10, 6250AL, 6584AL)|
|060305A||2001-2006 Escape and 2005-2006 Mariner: Remove And Install The Camshaft Caps Includes Time To Remove And Install Valve Cover (Do Not Use With 6007A10, 6250AL, 6584AL)|
BASIC PART NO.