Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2001-2004 Front Bumper Cover removal and installation

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  zjrodr0709 
#1 ·
Removal and Installation

1) Raise and support the vehicle.

2) Remove the six pin-type retainers (three each side).

3) Remove the four front bumper cover bolts (two each side).

4) Remove the two front bumper cover-to-front fender pin-type retainers (one each side). These retainers are inside the upper corner of each end of the bumper cover, facing up.

5) If equipped, disconnect the fog lamp electrical connectors.

6) Remove the lower front bumper cover bolts.

7) Remove the pin-type retainers.

8) Lower the vehicle.

9) Remove the two upper bolts (one each side) and the front bumper cover.

10) To install, reverse the removal procedure.

When installing, be sure to position the front bumper cover into the bumper slides.

See less See more
#5 ·
I used a long #2 Philips screwdriver to loosen and remove the "scrivet" after pulling back the splash shield. When the screw portion is out of the scrivet housing, the scrivet housing can be pulled out.

Those two scrivets can only be removed and installed by feel.

#7 ·
I have Ford's service DVDs.

:D

You can get these bumper fasteners at any Ford dealer. You can also get the service DVDs if you know someone there, or if you have the proper... er... incentive.

:lol:

The part number for the fastener is W706713-S300, and they're about $1.25 each.

After removing the bumper cover on my 2005, twice, I found that the best way to remove these two-part fasteners is to carefully unscrew the screw portion of the fastener with a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Once the screw is removed, the insert just pulls out, then you can disconnect whatever was connected.

Reinstalling them is even easier. Line up the holes, push the insert into the holes, then just push the screw portion into the insert. The threaded part of the insert is tapered, so the screw spreads the insert and pulls the parts together as it tightens.

#9 ·
First post on the city . Thanks a million for your help!!

Only owned my Maverick (a right hand drive Escape) for a month and love it.

Your advice was really helpful. My manual didn't say anything about the bumber cover to wheel arch cover connectors (I think you call them fenders?) before I read your post I spent a merry hour pulling gently at the cover thinking I'd missed an internal connector or clip below the headlight.

Five minutes after reading your comments it was off, wonderful. The general quality of the connectors are really poor, they remind me of the plastic screw fiat used in the 1970's and 80's to secure the headlights on some of thier models. One use and they snapped. Unfortunately you had to get them off to replace the bulbs..sheesh!

The reason I'm taking the cover off, apart form the sheer joy of working on her, is to replace the broken rectangular fog lights. Seems from other threads that stone dammage is common for these units. If my trick to save money is sucessful I'll post what I've done in a new thread. Looking hopeful so far.

thanks again.

Taff

#10 ·
I cannot understand pic # 3. I have an 02 escape and I've been looking for those two bolts but I can't make out the picture. Is that the corner of the bumper next to the wheel? I just can't find it. I also don't get pic #4, how can I find that screw?? The picture is so basic.

#11 ·
#3 is the bottom of your bumper cover, in front of the wheels. #4 is at the top corner, roughly the level of the turn signal. From what I can remember, #4 are the only two fasteners between the bumper cover and a piece of sheet metal (excluding the two going to the front bumper support).

#12 ·
Ok, I found where the pic 3 bolts were, and I believe I removed the pin retainer shown in pic 4, but the bumper cover still wont budge. I peeled back the black fender piece next to the wheel and reached my hand inside toward the headlight in-between the bumper cover and the metal that blocks off access to the last headlight bolt. I felt two bolts really close together that looked like they were connecting the cars side metal panel to the bumper cover, but it is extremely impossible to put a tool in their to turn them out, and that's because im using a pretty small socket wrench. I feel it should not be this hard and I am missing something. I've seen forums of people claiming they removed the bumper and installed new headlights in just 15-20min. I've been looking and removing bolts around the bumper repeatedly for 3 hours and it still will not pull down even an inch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.