Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2001-2004 Driveshaft removal and installation

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DarkStone06 
#1 ·
Removal and Installation

WARNING: The normal operating temperature of the exhaust system is very high. Never attempt to remove any part of the system until it has cooled. Be especially careful when working around the catalytic converters. The temperature of the converter rises to a high level after only a few minutes of engine operation. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

Front driveshaft and driveshaft assembly

1) Place the selector lever in NEUTRAL.

2) Raise and support the vehicle.

Driveshaft assembly

3) Remove the ground strap bolt.

4) CAUTION: Do not reuse the bolts and straps for the pinion yoke. Install new bolts and straps.

NOTE: There is a difference in the length of the head of the replacement yoke strap bolts from the production bolts. The longer head pinion bolts can be used in either location.

Remove the rear driveshaft universal joint caps.
* Index-mark the pinion and yoke to the rear of the driveshaft.
* Remove and discard the bolts and straps.

5) CAUTION: Do not reuse the CV joint bolts and washers. Install new bolts and washers only or damage to the vehicle may occur.

Remove the six front driveshaft to power take off bolts and washers.
* Discard the bolts and washers.

Driveshaft assembly

6) With the help of an assistant, remove the driveshaft.

Remove the center bearing nuts.

Front driveshaft

7) CAUTION: Do not reuse the bolts and straps for the center U-joint. Install new bolts and straps or damage to the vehicle may occur.

NOTE: There is a difference in the length of the head of the replacement yoke strap bolts from the production bolts. The longer head pinion bolts can be used in either location.

Remove the front driveshaft.
* Index-mark the front driveshaft to the center bearing.
* Remove and discard the bolts and caps.

8) NOTE: If a driveshaft is installed and driveshaft vibration is encountered after installation, index the driveshaft. For additional information, refer to Driveshaft Indexing in this section.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to dig up an ancient post but does anyone know the tools required to remove the rear drive shaft? I'm traveling to a place with a pick-n-pull (lkq) for business next week and need to pick up a rear drive shaft for the '03 Escape I just bought ($320 106k miles! Needed a fuel pump, AC condenser, headlights, bumper, and the rear driveshaft is missing.) Since I'm traveling 4.5 hrs and staying in a hotel for a week I can't take ALL of my tools just so I have the few sockets I need for the job. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.