Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

New member, considering replacing an F-150 with a Mariner

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  oldfordisbetter 
#1 ·
Hello, from Columbus, OH. I'm a new member to the forum, but have been in a Ford family all my life and have owned Fords for the last decade+. I don't currently have an Escape or one of its siblings, but I do have a 08 F-150 XL and a 96 Mustang GT. I've been contemplating selling my F-150 and replacing it with a Mariner, so I came here to do research and gather info/feedback from owners. Looks like a great community, perhaps I'll be joining as an owner.

So, I'm interested in replacing the F-150 (XL, 4.2L V6, manual, regular cab, 6.5' bed, quite a few upgrades) for a number of reasons: the F-150 is my current DD, I've owned it since new and it was exactly what I wanted when I was 23…4 years later, I'm interested in more interior space/seating, better gas mileage than the ~17-18 that the F-150 gets, and more interior amenities (the Mustang, and the Pontiac G8 GT my fiancé drives, have spoiled me).

However, I can't go with a small, more efficient car, as I still need a vehicle that can haul/tow reasonably; I have an open 5x8 utility trailer that I use regularly to transport motorcycles & my riding mower, to move stuff around, haul brush and trash, etc. I also occasionally tow a 6'x12' enclosed trailer to move some stuff around, and during the summers, I tow a small powerboat, a 1978 Fabuglas w/ a 2-stroke outboard (total weight is in the neighborhood of 2500 lbs when loaded & headed to the lake). None of these trailers have their own brakes, since they're smaller and relatively lightweight. Most of the towing is relatively local, 100 or less total miles each time, but in the summer, I take a couple long trips: 1 trip to Knoxville w/ 3 sportbikes on the 5x8 (roughly 2000 lbs total and 750 miles round trip, through the mountains), 2-3 trips to Michigan w/ the boat (roughly 420 miles round trip each, mostly flat), and 1 long trip to Minneapolis w/ the boat in tow (roughly 1800 miles round trip).

I'm most interested in an 09+ Mariner, for the following reasons: I prefer FoMoCo vehicles, I think the Escape/Mariner are easily the best looking of the small SUVs, it gets good reviews, the 240 HP 3.0L & 6-speed tranny appear to be a good combo, it's rated to tow 3500 lbs, it has reasonable interior space, and can be well optioned. I don't dislike the Escape, but in my perusing of ads, it appears I can get a loaded 09 Mariner Premier V6 FWD w/ 30-45k for the same or less than a XLT Escape w/ similar mileage but fewer amenities. Given the choice, I prefer the Mariner's appearance over the Escape, with the exception of the stock wheels that most Premier models seem to have (the ones with what looks like 20 spokes…hate those, I love simple 5-spoke wheels).

The Mariner would replace the F-150 as my DD, and would be driven quite a bit; I'm currently driving ~130 miles a day, 5 days a week, so this is why the mileage is important. 25-26 MPG highway would be a whole lot better than 17-18…My F-150 has the 4.2L V6 & 5-speed tranny, so it doesn't have a whole lot of power; I expect a V6 Mariner would be much quicker and nicer to drive in normal conditions, but I do have some concern over how well it will control a trailer, since it will be shorter, lighter, and have less braking ability when compared to the F-150. I feel that the interior space will adequately replace the bed of my F-150; while I use the bed regularly, I mostly use the rear 2' of it, and rarely haul anything in the bed that requires removing the soft cover. My thought is that, with a small SUV, on the rare occasion where I would have needed the truck bed, I can simply use my utility trailer…inevitably, I'm sure there would be some situation where I wished I had a truck bed, but presently, those are few and far between. I've read through several threads regarding towing, and it appears quite a few people have done some substantial towing of boats and smaller travel trailers, which I'm glad to see.

Anyway, I'd like to get some feedback from current owners of V6 Escapes/Mariners regarding MPG, ability to haul/tow, how well the SUV holds up, how the 6-speed auto performs, etc. If you switched from a full-size truck to this SUV, what's your experience been? Have you missed the truck bed? Have you found the Escape/Mariner to be a confident tow vehicle?

Additionally, I'd like to get the opinions of others regarding my intended use and expectations of a 09+ Mariner V6, FWD: are my fuel mileage expectations too ambitious? Even though I don't plan to tow anything that exceeds the 3500 lb capacity, will the frequency of towing and/or the long trips I take be asking too much? Or perhaps I'm concerned over nothing, and with aftermarket coolers for oil & trans, the Mariner would tow just as well as my low end F-150.

Sorry for the book, I'm a detailed guy, and want to see the full picture. I appreciate any and all feedback!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the City!!! We are glad you joined us!!! :hi: :welcome: :hi:

There are several Mariner owners here who will put in their comments to your questions you posted.

Best of luck to you on your search for an F-150 replacement. :thumb:

#4 ·
nagata said:
Anyway, I'd like to get some feedback from current owners of V6 Escapes/Mariners regarding MPG, ability to haul/tow, how well the SUV holds up, how the 6-speed auto performs, etc. If you switched from a full-size truck to this SUV, what's your experience been? Have you missed the truck bed? Have you found the Escape/Mariner to be a confident tow vehicle?

Additionally, I'd like to get the opinions of others regarding my intended use and expectations of a 09+ Mariner V6, FWD: are my fuel mileage expectations too ambitious? Even though I don't plan to tow anything that exceeds the 3500 lb capacity, will the frequency of towing and/or the long trips I take be asking too much? Or perhaps I'm concerned over nothing, and with aftermarket coolers for oil & trans, the Mariner would tow just as well as my low end F-150.

Sorry for the book, I'm a detailed guy, and want to see the full picture. I appreciate any and all feedback!
I have a late model 2010 Escape V6 XLT AWD (built in blind-spot mirrors, updated transmission control software etc) and I'd definitely recommend it for some of the things you've expressed interest in. I can't comment on the truck specific questions since my last truck was a 96 Ranger that I sold in 2006 (and I hated it).

MPG: I average between 16-17 in urban driving w/ some idling during extreme weather. 24-26 on long highway trips depending on the hills, my speed and aggressive driving or lack thereof. Urban is unloaded except for my tools and some gear in the back (25'ish pounds) and the long highway trips add about an additional 75lbs or so.

How well it holds up: Mine's low mileage atm, so take it with a grain of salt (14k) but I've had no serious problems with it. The only issue I've had to fix is my left rear shock had a small hydraulic fluid leak that was discovered at my dealership during an oil change and was fixed under warranty within 2 days (didn't have the parts in stock at the time, had to overnight ship them). She's also never failed me yet on the road in any conditions, hasn't gotten stuck in light-moderate mud nor has she had any bad sliding on water/ice (I did do a small power slide once and rubbed a curt, but that was my own stupidity). Oh, and did I mention plenty of power to spare? This thing destroys my old 4cyl 01 Santa Fe in pickup, acceleration and handling at highway speeds.

Cargo: Can't say I've ever had a moment where I missed my Ranger's truck bed. With the seats folded down the Escape has a massive cargo hold that's capable of moving my entire apartment in one trip (I'm single/college student/military) and if I need more space the roof racks are there too.

Transmission: It's fine, but like everyone else here they'd tell you it needs a minute or two to warm up in sub freezing temperatures (anything below 20F for mine) as it shifts a little rough from 1st to 2nd. Also there was a rash of bad transmissions from the 09 and early 10 models, (stuttering, rough shifting etc) some have been recalled, some fixed and others have had their programming updated so just make sure you check into your Mariner's tranny history before buying to avoid the repair downtime. Like I said before mine's been updated and runs perfectly fine.

#5 ·
Good afternoon and Welcome aboard again!!!... I didnt get a chance to reply much earlier but let me give my input. First of all I have a 12 Escape Limited V6/4WD and the 6 speed auto and just about to hit 9,000 miles.

Overall experience: Great vehicle, good comfort, reasonable fuel economy, good power, but I personally would recommend the V6 I understand fuel economy but the power is worth the trade off. I live in Maryland and work in Pittsburgh and the hills of PA make the trade off worth while, especially when the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Vehicle has great Features, loaded with everything except for Navigation, and Active Park Assist.

Transmission: The 6 speed works good, the electronic controls help adapt to the drivers patterns and adjusts accordingly. It is basically a Ron Popeil Transmission........."Set it and forget it" It has the grade assist, AKA O/D Off and for extreme cases a Low gear selection. I used the Grade assist once just to see how it worked but aside from that I have only had to use the primary four selections...Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive. The D selection works great and although I would personally request a paddle shifter or some way to manually shift gears.......the D selection works a lot better than I thought. As I say I wasnt at the engineering team meeting.

Interior: Great layout, only issue I have is I wish the Message Center/Trip Computer select buttons were on the main center instrument stack. The layout over to the left of the steering wheel isnt the most ergonomically friendly but it is what it is. I wish the heated seats had more selections but thats me. Other note would be the rear a/c heat vents are under the front passenger seats, so make sure you keep that area clear.

Exterior: Good overall attractive layout, I am not a big fan of the old WHIP antenna I prefer the lower profile ones like on the Fusion, Focus, etc.......search my thread about cutting the antenna almost in half and no effect on reception.

Brakes: I have been on record as not a great fan of the Rear Drum brakes. They work and are adequate but I still prefer the DISC layout on all four corners.

Technology: The SYNC is great but takes a little getting used to. Voice activated turn by turn navigation, voice activated music, phone are nice. The setup takes a little getting used to, phone pairing is fairly quick but SYNC takes a little getting used to. Read the SYNC supplement. I also got the reverse sensing and back up camera, although I wasn't originally looking for that much equipment I get my moneys worth out of it...LOL!!!! Some might want a multi disc cd changer but with the Bluetooth Audio, SYNC, USB, MP3 I forget that the CD player is even there. With SYNC you can do more than phone and music. I can get vehicle health reports similiar to GM'S Onstar. Transmission software updates can be done by computer at dealer and if vehicle is under warranty then I strongly recommend having then do it.

Safety: Great safety features, Traction Control, safety canopy system, Roll Stability Control side airbag curtains, etc..... The traction control is default to ON but can be turned off if necessary. I also prefer the AMBER turn signals in the rear like the 01-07 models. I like the contrasting colors for the traffic behind me to see.

I can't speak for many older models but if Mariners were included in the 6 speed auto transmission list then you should be fine.

Remember Mercury was discontinued after 2010 so the last year available should be 2010..

Good luck and hope to see photos of your new ride soon.

#7 ·
:welcome: Nagata!

I read your opening statement and some of the replies and would like to chip in a little bit as well.

I used to own a Dodge Dakota and planned on keeping it as a second vehicle. However, I have the Escape and a 6x8' trailer and have not missed that pickup so I don't think you're going to miss the utility with 2 trailers.

I have the older version of the 09's V6 (200 hp) and I towed a VW Jetta with a tow dolly on the Interstate at 70-75 mph with no problems so I don't think the more powerful version of the 3.0 Duratec will have issues with your expected loads. My Escape is also rated for 3500 lbs. towing, and I have the towing package (integrated hitch and transmission cooler) so you might want to look for that.

Hope this helps!

#8 ·
Welcome to the City,

The 2012 Escape only has a 3,500 max towing capacity with the towing package. Don't know if that is enough power for what you need. You may want to look into the Nissan Xterra I have never owned one but they have a more powerful V6 and can tow 5,000 lbs but it gets worse fuel economy than the Escape

Escape 18 / 23 V6
Xterra 16 / 22

here are some Escape Tech specs for the 2012 model

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2012 ... _Specs.pdf

#9 ·
Wow, thank you for all the GREAT responses! Awesome info and feedback, I really appreciate it! Makes me even more interested in the Mariner/Escape.

Stormscape - Thanks for the feedback, especially the info on the transmission update! Sounds like you're seeing reasonable mileage, especially with the AWD, so that's encouraging.

MDScape - Love the breakdown, thanks! The V6 is the only option for me, the I4 won't be able to do the work I need, lol. Given the 6 gears, I agree that I would really prefer the ability to manually control which gear is selected (I know most of the newer Fords are getting this option), but I don't want to spend that much...since it's a computer controlled gear selector, I wonder if there's any way to add a "manual" gear selector aftermarket. With the brakes, I'm not thrilled about the fact that the Mariner/Escape went backwards and got rear drums for 08+; know if anyone has done reasonable brake upgrades and seen improvement in the stopping ability? And as far as Sync, I've heard lots of good things, so I'm very interested in it.

Ajax - Good to hear that you don't miss your truck, and sounds like you've done some solid towing. If I end up with an Escape/Mariner, I'll definitely be looking at adding auxillary coolers for the tranny & oil.

Pmike - I appreciate the thought. I certainly wouldn't mind a little more power & towing capacity, but if I get a used compact SUV, I'm pretty well set on a Mariner/Escape...the rest of the competition just doesn't do much for me.

After poking around on Autotrader a little more, I'm seeing some more comparable prices between Mariner Premiers & Escape Limiteds, so if/when I'm at the point of looking to buy, I'll be considering both models. I know I could probably find a cheaper deal on one of the lower models, but frankly, if I'm gonna upgrade, I'm pretty set on getting the improved asthetics, amenities, and features of the Limited or Premier...

There's plenty of 09-10 Mariners & Escapes around the local lots, so over the next couple weeks, I think I'll go check out & test drive at least 1 V6 Premier & 1 V6 Limited, probably check out an XLT too, see how I like them. If I start considering purchasing one, any tips on specific items to look at? All the normal items, and then it sounds like I'll need to check ito the tranny a little further... I'll ultimately be looking for one without a tow package, too easy for someone to damage the drivetrain if they don't know what they're doing.

#10 ·
Well, after doing more research today, particularly in regards to the 6F35 transmission, my enthusiasm for the Escape/Mariner has been tempered some...I hadn't heard about all the shuddering, hard shifting, converter unlocking, false neutrals, and failures that many are experiencing, based on the owner complaints I've seen and the push for a class-action lawsuit. Now, I realize that, as with any vehicle issue, you're going to hear about all the people who have experienced the issue but you're not gonna hear so much from those who don't have the issue, but it seems problems with the 6F35 are widespread, and are seen in all model years of the 2nd gen Escape/Mariner, along with the '10+ Fusions, etc, so a used vehicle shopper can't simply avoid a certain model year and feel comfortable.

Can anyone direct me to further info on the problems with this tranny? I'm seeing reports of some people's troubles being fixed with simple software updates, while others are going through fluid changes, valve bodies, clutch packs, and yet are still experiencing problems, sometimes leading to full transmission replacement, and then the new tranny might still have problems.

I'm hoping to see find some info as to when the transmission issues generally come up. Is this a situation where, if a specific transmission is going to have problems, they will manifest themselves within the first 25-30 thousand miles? If that were the case, then if a used 09+ Escape with 40k+ miles has no transmission problems & checks out, the buyer could be reasonably confident that, with proper maintenance, the transmission will be solid for the expected lifetime (well beyond 100k before rebuild/replacement). If the reported problems pop up randomly at any mileage, that signficantly reduces buyer confidence.

I'll do some more searching, perhaps this topic already has a thread...

#11 ·
Just thought I'd share my experience with the Escape to help you make a decision...

My family had an early 2001 model (built November 2000) in which we logged 100K+ miles. We used it for towing on a few occasions (5'X8' & 6'X12' enclosed cargo trailers from U-haul) and we never had any issues with climbing grades (I live in the Appalachians) or braking performance. Towing the 6'X12' was a little uncomfortable for me as it seemed rather large in comparison to the Escape, but the we managed just fine. Each time I towed, I turned Overdrive off and kept my interstate cruising speed around 55-60MPH. I was very comfortable pulling the 5'X8' trailer with it. That Escape did have the factory hitch and it did come in handy when moving to/ from college.

I have never towed anything with my 2010, but I assume it would tow at least as well as our 2001 did with its extra 40Hp and the 2 extra gears in the transmission.

Speaking of the infamous 6F35...

I had the initial transmission recall reprogramming (1015b) done in early June 2010 on my 2010 Escape V6 4WD when it had about 8000 miles. I now have 67,000 miles and I haven't had any transmission issues. My transmission is slow to engage Drive after I back out of the driveway first thing in the morning, but I very much doubt this is damaging to the transmission. Like I've said before, I move slower when its early and cold too. There is new transmission programming (dated December 2011) available at dealers that addresses harsh shifts when cold, shift flaring, and a few other issues. I think that pretty much every member who has received the latest update seems pleased with it. I plan on requesting that my dealer perform the TSB next week when my Escape goes in for service.

Like you already mentioned, you are FAR more likely to come across stories of people complaining about a problem with a product than you are to come across stellar reviews. Even if you found 1,000 separate legitimate cases, that's still only a drop in the bucket of the 225,000+ Escapes Ford sold last year.

Lots of luck with your vehicle shopping. Despite the minor issues my family has had over the years with our Escapes, we have enjoyed all 3 of them and continue to recommend them.

#12 ·
i have an 05 escape. a little older then what you are going for but.... :stop: it happens lol. b4 i bought this i had a 1992 f250 5.8, 5spd, 4x4, 35's.. this thing was big loud and mean. i also had a 1997 ford escort lx 5spd for my daily commute duties as i was 130 miles round trip a day. the car got 37mpg consistently. it was a little rocket ship/ fun 5spd dd. my truck was for hauling/towing/ 4x4 for fun/ in snow when car wouldnt move. i sold both and got my 05 escape xlt v6 auto. what i wanted was a 4cyl, 4x4, 5spd. but i settled for what i have now. at first it sucked that i didnt have a pickup bed to haul stuff. yes the seats fold down and have ample space inside but the lust for a bed was still there. i had a towing package added by the dealer and now i can tow my trailer and i have no problems. i've pulled 2 yards of mulch with escape. i've flat towed a gmc van. i've off roaded in some deep mud. i've pulled a chevy 2500 out of stuck mud.. i wished for snow to see how it does.. i give the credit to the firestone distination a/t's i got for it. $700. i get mixed 19 mpg. but the one time i babied the crap out of it i got 24mpg... but i got the 4spd auto. i will say that i am considering getting a newer escape. i am also considering a tdi jetta but then ill have to get another truck to tow/haul/offroad. so the escape who can do it all seems much better. yes i wont get alot of mpg but its a trade off i can deal with. i do have access to a '10 fwd 4cyl escape and i like it. great pickup, nice features. i like it. i drive it once a week short distances. i wish i could drive it on a commute to school 75miles away to see how it really does but its not mine. :bill: i would reccommened an escape/mariner they are great. get a cai, sct tuner, and exhaust, and rock it till the wheels fall off

#13 ·
Mantruck101 said:
Speaking of the infamous 6F35...

Like you already mentioned, you are FAR more likely to come across stories of people complaining about a problem with a product than you are to come across stellar reviews. Even if you found 1,000 separate legitimate cases, that's still only a drop in the bucket of the 225,000+ Escapes Ford sold last year.
Thanks for sharing your experience! As you reinforce, I know there are plenty of happy & satisfied 09+ Escape/Mariner owners out there who have never had tranny issues or who had issues that were easily remedied, it's just a bit unnerving to see so many reports of problems (many of which are ongoing, despite remedy attempts) and discussions of a class action lawsuit, things of that nature. I'm trying to get that 'warm & fuzzy' feeling, lol. I still plan to go look at a few Escapes/Mariners, but I think I'm also gonna look at an Edge or 2 for some comparison. Pretty sure I like the appearance of the Escape/Mariner more, and seems I would get lower miles & more amenities for the same or less money, but always good to look at an alternative.

oldford, thanks for the input! Ah, a 92 F-250, that was a real truck, hahaha. And I actually learned to drive in a 98 Escort wagon SE, 5-speed...the 'shaggin wagon,' hahaha. Sounds like you eventually transitioned well, glad to hear it. I'm hoping I can have a similarly positive experience :)

#14 ·
i used to do junk yarding. id drive around in alleys n stuff before trash night and find refrig, ovens, air conditioners, scrap metal and throw it in the truck. now if i see something i gotta drive to my parents ( i store my trailer there it wont fit at my a[artment) and then drive back to pick it up. got to be a hassle real fast so ive pretty much havn''t done it in months... only other complaint... :rant:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.