trailering with the 4cyl

Talk about anything related to your Escape, Mariner, Tribute, Maverick!

trailering with the 4cyl

Postby boddah77 - November 2nd, 2012, 6:11 pm

wondering how the 4 cylinder trailers...and what have you pulled?
boddah77

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: trailering with the 4cyl

Postby Billyk - November 2nd, 2012, 6:56 pm

This is not my FEH but it sends a message:

1500lbs should not be a problem.
2005 4WD Ford Escape Hybrid

my next vehicle will be a PHEV
Billyk

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2005 Escape Hybrid

Postby Dadof5 - November 3rd, 2012, 4:48 pm

I have a 2011 with the V6, and recently pulled a 5x8 U-Haul enclosed trailer with some furniture (not very heavy) for 750km. It pulled it, but I wouldn't call it a pleasant experience. Kept it to the speed limit (90 km/h) but it really laboured. The transmission was constantly downshifting 1 or 2 gears. Gas mileage dropped from 27 mpg (US) to just over 18 (same trip, with and without trailer).

I'm used to pulling a larger and heavier boat trailer with GM Caprice/Roadmaster V8s. Hardly know the trailer is there and only lost 3-4 mpg.

I'm sure the 4 is fine for occaisional pulling of a light trailer. if you plan to trailer regularly and longer discances, I'd think twice about the 4.
Dadof5

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby ExplorerTom - November 3rd, 2012, 7:49 pm

Billyk wrote:This is not my FEH but it sends a message:

1500lbs should not be a problem.

I've rented that trailer before- pretty sure it weighs about 1200 lbs by itself. So depending what's under the tarp, it could be much more than 2000 lbs.
2012 Escape: V6 Limited AWD - the wife's
2006 Mariner: V6 "Luxury" AWD - mine
1997 Explorer: Mods.... lots of mods
Image Image
ExplorerTom

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: '06 Mariner & '12 Escape

Postby Knightrider03m - November 3rd, 2012, 11:27 pm

Dadof5 wrote:I have a 2011 with the V6, and recently pulled a 5x8 U-Haul enclosed trailer with some furniture (not very heavy) for 750km. It pulled it, but I wouldn't call it a pleasant experience. Kept it to the speed limit (90 km/h) but it really laboured. The transmission was constantly downshifting 1 or 2 gears. Gas mileage dropped from 27 mpg (US) to just over 18 (same trip, with and without trailer).

I'm used to pulling a larger and heavier boat trailer with GM Caprice/Roadmaster V8s. Hardly know the trailer is there and only lost 3-4 mpg.

I'm sure the 4 is fine for occaisional pulling of a light trailer. if you plan to trailer regularly and longer discances, I'd think twice about the 4.

Turn off the overdrive. My truck likes to do that when I am not towing anything behind it. We have a every jumpy transmission.

2012 Ford Escape XLT (Angel)- 3.0L V6 6 speed automatic
2006 Chevy HHR LT (Janet)- 2.4L I4 4 speed automatic
1993 Honda Accord LX (Scout)- 2.2L I4 5 speed manual

Knightrider03m

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT AWD
My vehicle's name: Angel

Postby tim_d_wagner - November 4th, 2012, 1:37 am

The 1500 max rating is with no other cargo and a driver under 150lbs. To use it with anything more is unlawful and unsafe. Getting and keeping going is only part of the issue; steering and braking are also concerns.

With the good turning radius the Escapes are quite good with light trailers, but can get a little wiggly in winds. Keep in mind our Escapes are not known for having the strongest power train components.
tim_d_wagner

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape v6 LTD 4WD

Postby Dadof5 - November 4th, 2012, 7:49 am

Knightrider03m wrote:
Turn off the overdrive. My truck likes to do that when I am not towing anything behind it. We have a every jumpy transmission.

I did.
Dadof5

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby camusdarrach - November 4th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Here is my own view of the trailer towing capacity of the 4 pot Maverick..
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17185

:angel:
2003 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0 Gold Ash metallic, Sun roof, Black Leather interior, Chrome sidebars, 240V power inverter, Tow bar, Clear side indicator lenses, 12v dc socket for rear seat passengers use, Short rubber aerial, American spec rear lights, 2x 100W front spotlights, Thule Lappland aluminium roofrack, Thule plastic 520litre roofbox, 1X mini me, 1Xmini mini me seat and now 1Xmini mini mini me seat, Removable DVD install to keep the wife, mini , mini mini-me & Mini mini mini me and Devil dog quiet on long journeys...........
Plus a Mazda Tribute mesh Dog Guard to keep the Devil dog in the boot
.............And now has an ESCAPE badge on the tailgate, drivers and wenches doors, along with a Futameca made sticker in the rear window!!!!

WINNER OF THE 2008 ESCAPE CITY AWARD FOR BEST VIDEO

Autographs are available for a modest fee, in order to cover the purchase cost of the ciggies involved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImageImage

Camusdarrach, taking the alternative coastal route away from the thread's main topic!!!!
camusdarrach

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Maverick 2.0 XLT

Postby rlhasse - November 8th, 2012, 12:58 am

tim_d_wagner wrote:The 1500 max rating is with no other cargo and a driver under 150lbs. To use it with anything more is unlawful and unsafe. Getting and keeping going is only part of the issue; steering and braking are also concerns.

With the good turning radius the Escapes are quite good with light trailers, but can get a little wiggly in winds. Keep in mind our Escapes are not known for having the strongest power train components.

This is not accurate, it's bad information. The rated tow capacity does not have anything to do with the weight of the tow vehicle itself, it only concerns the weight of the trailer load. The gross combined vehicle weight rating concerns the combination of the trailer and the tow vehicle. To be perfectly accurate you need to weigh the trailer by itself, the tow vehicle by itself and both of them combined. But you don't have to go to that extent. Find out what the gcvwr is for your model (do a google search), that will tell you how much your tow vehicle can weigh if you already know the weight of the trailer). You can also find the curb weight of your model of tow vehicle, and if you subtract the curb weight from the maximum allowable weight it will give you the amount of cargo capacity you can haul, including passengers.
ImageImage
rlhasse

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2008 XLT 4X4, 2013 SEL 4X4

Postby tim_d_wagner - November 8th, 2012, 2:13 am

rlhasse wrote:
tim_d_wagner wrote:The rated tow capacity does not have anything to do with the weight of the tow vehicle itself

Ultimately your limiting factor is GCWR(gross combined weight rating) which should be read from your vehicles sticker, not an Internet search.

A GCWR will rarely equal a vehicles GTWR(gross trailer weight rating) plus it's GVWR(gross vehicle weight rating). The expected difference between GCWR and GTWR+GVWR is why tow capacity has to do with the loading of the tow vehicle.

In order to utilize your GTWR you may need to reduce weight from your tow vehicle. In some cases we have done the math and have an idea of what the manufacturer had in mind when they came up with GCWR and give that as a valid simplified answer for a specific case.
tim_d_wagner

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape v6 LTD 4WD

Next

Return to Tailgate Chat