Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Tire Pressure and MPG

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Billyk 
#1 ·
So I am constantly monitoring the onboard mpg readout with every fillup. I basically drive the exact same areas which is a mix of city and highway. Not a lot of long trips yet, basically to work and back which is about 15 minutes. When I got the truck I was at 21-ish for an average and after a few tanks I was consistantly getting 23.8-24.5. The last tank I got 21. I thought maybe crappy gas at 7-11 so I avoid it now. I filled up at my Mobil the last tank and averaged 20.5. I thought to myself something isn't right. I checked the pressure on the tires and all 4 were roghly 35 psi. The Michelins say 44 psi max so I inflated to 40 on all 4. Half a tank later driving around the same roads I am back at 24 ish. It proves to me that I need to check the pressure more often. It coincides with the weather drop to freezing so I assume that with the winter temp change I just needed to fill them and keep an eye on them.

#5 ·
skibender said:
At 40 psi, you'll probably have excessive wear in the center of the threads. 40 psi might help with mpg but it'll wear your tires out faster. The cold weather brings down mpg.
I agree 100%...I travel 80,000 plus KM's per year and my tires are set at 32-34psi. MPG definately decrease by 10-15% in the cold weather dependant upon driving style and length of time you let in warm up in the morning. :frozen:

#6 ·
Hmm..... The Michelins list 44 psi max. All 4 are at 40psi and there is still a good amount of "roll" on all tires. Seems to be a nice flat contact arear on the tires. But good point that the centers might wear out faster. Maybe I'll drop back to 36 or so. I figured the colder weather would lower the mpg. especially when it is 10 F outside as of late.

#7 ·
44 PSI max has no relation to your vehicle. It just means that the tire is suitable for applications that call for pressures up to 44 PSI. As long as you stay with the stock load rating, the OEM sticker lists the proper inflation. You can go 2-4 PSI higher for better gas mileage, but you may have irregular wear above that.

#10 ·
You probably have touring tires on your Escape. They should hold their shape with a little extra psi with no problem. I doubt you will increase wear by increasing tire pressure, unless you pump them up way beyond their rated capacity.

#11 ·
Higher pressure causes tire wear in the center? Really? I normally run between 43-45psi in my vehicle and have no center tire wear after 41,000 miles. I did have minor inner tire wear and that was because the Ford OEM alignment is "toe-in". I had the vehicle re-aligned into neutral and there is no more inner tire wear. It is true colder weather depresses mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.