New to hybrids, but not Escapes

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

New to hybrids, but not Escapes

Postby urbs4 - March 9th, 2012, 6:47 am

Hello - we have an '03 gas Escape Limited 4WD and are looking to add a 2005 4WD hybrid to our garage. We really can't afford a newer one. The '05 that I found at a small dealer has 135K miles on it, but it looks very well maintained, and drove smooth as silk. Its a 4WD with Nav system. I took it for a test drive yesterday and was very impressed, to say the least. Dealer has told me i can get it for $8,700 out the door. I saw no leaks anywhere, and we think we are going to pull the trigger on it. My question is - does the board have any experience with this type of mileage, and should I be overly concerned ? Also- how does that rear window battery venting system work in the rain ? This would be an "everyday" car. It also did not have an owners manual in the glovebox - is there someway i can get a readout of its current mpg ? Anything I should look for that might raise a flag ? we are looking to make this decision by tomorrow morning. In the meantime - i plan to make use of the search feature here and read as much as i can. thanks in advance. -urbs4
urbs4

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: New to hybrids, but not Escapes

Postby FRENCHY - March 9th, 2012, 7:16 am

A warm welcome to you urbs4 :thumb: :welcome:

A lot of info by using the search engine on the hybrid section here :thumb:

And i'm sure some of our hybrid guru are going to knock here for your question mark you have :thumb: :thumb:

Have a nice day

Frenchy
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 20
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby silverstreak - March 9th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Welcome to Escape City. I can't be much help on your E hybrid questions as we own a Fusion hybrid, but here is the online manual for the my2005 E hybrid.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO5HEV/~MUS~LEN/41/05hevog2e.pdf

I would also suggest you have it checked by an independent mechanic.
silverstreak

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited
My vehicle's name: Silverstreak

Postby Linna - March 9th, 2012, 2:19 pm

A 7-8 year old hi mileage hybrid like that 05 is definitely a risky proposition. Although many hybrids have done 200,000 or more trouble free miles, some have not.
Components like the e-CVT tranny, PTU for the AWD system, or and other hybrid specific drivetrain components just aren't cheap even if the vehicle is. Compounding the problem in the future is that the Escape hybrid is of course out of production and Ford will be using different suppliers for new hybrids. Maybe there will be an aftermarket for keeping old Escape hybrids on the road like the Prius but there are over 1 mil Toyota hybrids on the road vs. 150K Fords
If you do end up getting that '05, you might probably want to bank some money away for repairs just in case.
Another issue I forgot to mention is that if you live somewhere away from the coasts where Escape hybrids were popular, it's likely you will not find any local trained hybrid Ford techs. Typical technicians aren't going to know much about a FEH so you may be on your own to figure out issues if you're comfortable with that.
Some people have also grenaded their expensive hybrid engines by getting their oil changed at a quick lube joint and the monkey there put on the wrong oil filter.
Last edited by Linna on March 9th, 2012, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby Billyk - March 9th, 2012, 7:39 pm

The 2005 FEH with the Navigational system has a built in hybrid display that includes your MPG!
It will look something like this: Image
A scanguage II aftermarket hardware can do almost all of the same for a lot less money and his highly recommended. Owners manual can be replaced via a download at the Ford owners site. Replace the hybrid battery filter in the cargo area--as the dealership to show you as one way of determining their knowledge--on an annual basis and this can be done without tools!

Known Hybrid issues:
-the MECS pump--motor electronic cooling system pump is known to start having issues around 50,000 miles. Check to see if this has been replaced. Otherwise, it might cost $238.00 at the dealership for the part. MOST COMMON ISSUE WITH VEHICLE. Item is located under the radiator on the passerger side. Shut down of vehicle operations can occur with this failure. Turn the key to on but not start. Get out of the inside of vehicle and go to front of vehicle and listen for the motor turrning/running.
-blend door issue at the drivers side cargo side split window. Deep inside this vent there is a door that opens and closes to allow outside to be pulled into the hybrid battery pack for cooling. This door sometimes becomes stuck in "closed" due to wear. Hybrid battery pack can overheat and vehicle not run correctly with this issue.
-coolant lines running to the hybrid battery can develop a leak, hybrid battery pack can overheat. A summer issue. Get down by the rear drivers side tire and look for two lines running on that side of the car.
-internal battery pack cooling fans fail--this can also cause the battery pack to overheat. This has been a recent development and may effect those with the mileage on your vehicle. Have the dealership run a code reader to ensure you do not have this issue.

Individual battery cells have proven to be extremely durable. The eCVT is also durable and I can only recall one owner reporting on a replacement which some of this felt was due to poor service techs at the dealership when the probelem was a MECS pump.
2005 4WD Ford Escape Hybrid

my next vehicle will be a PHEV
Billyk

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2005 Escape Hybrid

Postby Jay2TheRescue - March 9th, 2012, 9:22 pm

The FEH is popular with taxi fleets, and there are many out there with over 300,000 miles. As long as the vehicle has been maintained well, I would not hesitate to buy a high mileage FEH. I also recommend a Scangauge for instant MPG readings, and a few other readings that are not available from the dashboard gauges.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby urbs4 - March 10th, 2012, 7:34 am

thanks all for the replies. based on what i picked up here and searching the forums yesterday, i will be headed to the dealer today better informed. In general, and maybe its just because i have been very lucky, high mileage cars have overall been good to me. We currently own a 167K mile 2003 gas Escape, a 162K mile '99 Corvette, and a 266K mile 1995 Volvo 950 that my son drives, literally any of which I feel comfortable driving anywhere. Ironically, if we end up buying this 135K mile Hybrid Escape, it will be the lowest mileage vehicle in our garage ! Thanks again for the wealth of info.
urbs4

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby 5pointoh - March 10th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Just an extra note on that MECS pump......I think Tousley Ford sells it for about $165 shipped and Ebay has a vendor selling the OEM part for about $200 shipped, so much better buy than at the dealership.

Also if you are a do it your selfer, there seems to be quite a bit of information on the web with directions for replacing it. BillyK on here also knows the 05 FEH from head to toe, inside out etc. :yes:
5pointoh

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby Billyk - March 11th, 2012, 8:55 am

5pointoh wrote:Just an extra note on that MECS pump......I think Tousley Ford sells it for about $165 shipped and Ebay has a vendor selling the OEM part for about $200 shipped, so much better buy than at the dealership.

Also if you are a do it your selfer, there seems to be quite a bit of information on the web with directions for replacing it. BillyK on here also knows the 05 FEH from head to toe, inside out etc. :yes:

This information is correct and a few other on-line dealerships will sell you the part for around $165 plus shipping - I paid $18 for shipping. I have a new replacement MECS pump sitting in my house awaiting for installation in the next few months.
2005 4WD Ford Escape Hybrid

my next vehicle will be a PHEV
Billyk

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2005 Escape Hybrid

Return to Hybrid Green Zone