Power Steering Stops Working 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

Power Steering Stops Working 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Postby plangan107 - March 12th, 2012, 7:36 am

How is this problem. You are driving along and all of a sudden your power steering stops working on your 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid? Pull over to the side of the road and shut off engine. Turn it back on and the problem goes away. You never know when it will shut down (not fun and dangerous if your are trying to turn when it happpens.)
This problem along with my STOP SAFELY NOW engine problem makes me want to admit I have a lemon on my hands.
plangan107

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Power Steering Stops Working 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Postby Colleen - March 12th, 2012, 7:40 am

Hello and welcome to the City! :welcome:

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm going to move your topic to the Hybrid Green Zone because you may get more responses there.
Colleen
Super-Friendly Moderator

E-C LEVEL 21
My vehicle: 2009 Mariner Hybrid

Postby Charles - March 12th, 2012, 8:06 am

Welcome to the City!!! :hi: :welcome: :hi:

Sorry to hear about your issues with your Hybrid.

Present vehicles
2013 F-150 Lariat 4x4, Ruby Red Metallic, Equipment Pkg 502A, 3.31 Ratio, 3.5L EcoBoost, Lariat Chrome Package, 20 inch wheels, WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners (1st and 2nd Row), WeatherTech TechLiner Bed Liner with Tailgate, Leer 100XR Truck Cap, Front License Plate Bracket, Engine Block Heater Installed, WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
Mods to Come: Grille Guard (To Be Determined),

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Past Vehicles
2014 Ford Escape Titanium FWD - Ruby Red Metallic - Medium Light Stone Interior - 401A Equipment Group [HID headlamps, BLIS with Cross Traffic Alert, Rain sensing wipers, Active Park Assist], 2.0L EcoBoost engine, Navigation System, Roof Cross Bars, 19" wheels, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row, Cargo Liner), Reese Part Number 44694 Class III Hitch Purchased 10/8/13, Traded 8/6/14
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4
My vehicle's name: Ruby II

Postby FRENCHY - March 12th, 2012, 8:09 am

A warm welcome to you plangan107 :thumb: :welcome:

Frenchy
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 20
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby timothyjay2004 - March 12th, 2012, 10:06 am

Not sure about the power steering, but could be related to this. There is a TSB out for a computer update to address the stop safely now. Take note of the TSB, call your dealer, explain in detail what problems you are having, what the vehicle displays, etc. and see what they can do to help you. Info on the TSB is located here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1227
Next time I get pulled over, I'm going to tell the officer I'm trying to get this baby up to 88mph so I can get back to 1985.

---My Mods/Add-ons---
-OEM Front Air Deflector......................-OEM Window Visors
-OEM Remote Start.............................-OEM Mud Guards
-OEM Premier Badge...........................-OEM Sunglasses Holder Added
-OEM Sirius Module & Antenna..............-OEM Lincoln MKS Auto Headlamp Switch (modded from white back to Ice Blue)
-Body Side Moldings............................-2 OEM Ambient Light Kits - One Front, One Rear - Controlled by 1 Switch
-2nd USB Port.....................................-Heated Seats
-Body Color Painted Mirror Covers.........-OEM Roof Rack
-Enabled Ambient Air Temp Sensor........-OEM Alarm System
-Explorer Lock/Unlock Switch Added to Cargo Area
-Katzkin Leather Interior (Black)...........-OEM Cargo Mat
-OEM Mariner Floor Mats.......................-OEM "Premium" Speakers in Front
-OEM 2011 Radio w/ OEM sub installed....-OEM Lighted Mirrors

---Wish List---
-OEM Spoiler.......................................-Mariner Premier Rims
-Puddle Lights on Mirrors
timothyjay2004

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2009 Mercury Mariner

Postby Billyk - March 12th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Do you have a code reader? If not, go to an autoparts store and see they can read the code(s) for you. Move from that point forward.

Does the power steering stop working when the vehicle shuts down or does the vehicle keep operating? I wonder if the MECS pump is failing and causing these issues.
2005 4WD Ford Escape Hybrid

my next vehicle will be a PHEV
Billyk

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2005 Escape Hybrid

Postby plangan107 - March 13th, 2012, 8:03 am

The power steering problem happens randomly while the rest of the hybrid is working fine. turning off the hybrid and turning it back on resolves the problem. Thanks for your suggestion. The other issue of the STOP SAFELY NOW problem is much worse (dangerous) thanks for TSB on that one. Bringing it in tomorrow to be looked at. One good piece of news is because of the forum I found the cabin filter and rear high voltage filter Motorcraft on-line cheap. Thanks to forum for pointing out this as I saved 50%!
plangan107

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby 5pointoh - March 14th, 2012, 2:38 am

Please keep us posted and let us know what comes of it. I hope it is something relatively minor. :)
5pointoh

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby HoOfA - April 11th, 2013, 11:29 am

So I have read the above post and I too am getting the same problems with the power steering quitting mid drive. It's now happening within two minutes of start. Was there a solution found that I missed or is the answer to take it to the shop and surrender to the mercy of the mechanics?
HoOfA

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby dawey1 - June 18th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Hello all.
I'm having an intermittent electric power assisted steering (EPAS) failure on my 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid.
Sometimes it's during a left hand turn... Kinda scary if your not gripping the steering wheel tightly. :cuss:

Anywho, I know there has been advice stating that the whole steering assembly needs to be replaced. costing ~$1500
Is there a write up on how to test the EPAS systems/assembly?
How have others dealt with the issue aside from taking the truck to the stealership...

Oh, I forgot to mention... I've pulled codes with a scanner and using the ignition and odometer button method...= both resulted in no stored codes.
If I cycle the ignition on off it usually resolves the problem... Usually....

Thanks in advance.
dawey1

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Hybrid Green Zone