Leather Side Panel is becoming unglued

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Leather Side Panel is becoming unglued

Postby Giank33 - February 13th, 2012, 3:07 am

Hey there forum, my 2002 ford escape xlt with the leather interior is having some interior problems. The side panel leather on the passengers side is coming off and making my Escape fall under par for visual looks. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and how you fixed it and with what, or if any of you have suggestions for the best way to fix this. Thank you for helping me return my car to its proper glory
Giank33

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Leather Side Panel is becoming unglued

Postby weebee - February 13th, 2012, 6:06 am

I had the same problem once. I used Gorilla glue. That stuff holds like crazy. Follow the instructions to use it. It is very important to wet both surfaces with water so it bonds properly.
2014 Ford C-max SE. MFT/NAV/SAT power lift gate, remote start, winter package.
2014 Subaru CrossTrek Hybrid Touring. Heated leather, Nav/Sat , keyless entry/start.
weebee
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 12
My nickname: WeeBee
My vehicle: 2011 Edge SEL, 2011 Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: None yet

Postby Giank33 - February 13th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Awesome! I will give that a try as soon as i can, thank you
Giank33

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby RobtRoma - February 13th, 2012, 2:38 pm

I had it happen to me last winter on my back, passenger side door. I used 3m upholstery adhesive the first time around but apparently I didn't prep the surface properly so it's pealing again. It's also happening on my front passenger side door. Right now I'm looking for a professional to do it properly but they seem to be few and far between in my area...
ImageImage
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time,
but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment...

ImageImageImage
RobtRoma
Super Moderator and E-C's 100,000th AND 200,000th Poster

E-C LEVEL 20
My nickname: Rob
My vehicle: 2002 XLT 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Mean Green Machine

Postby weebee - February 13th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Giank33 wrote:Awesome! I will give that a try as soon as i can, thank you

No problem. Let us know how it works out. :beer:
2014 Ford C-max SE. MFT/NAV/SAT power lift gate, remote start, winter package.
2014 Subaru CrossTrek Hybrid Touring. Heated leather, Nav/Sat , keyless entry/start.
weebee
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 12
My nickname: WeeBee
My vehicle: 2011 Edge SEL, 2011 Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: None yet

Postby edgo - February 14th, 2012, 9:39 am

My cloth interior panels fell apart least year. I took it to a little upholstery shop and they fixed it up really well for $100.00. It looks factory.
edgo

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Flivver49 - March 14th, 2012, 8:54 am

Both right side doors did this on our 2005 FEH. We used the 3M spray. I took the entire door panel off and set it on the table. I used a dry toothbrush and vacuum to clean away all the crud, which appeared to be a combination of glue and foam, from both the door and the leather. I had to stop often, wash the toothbrush, and dry it completely before continuing to clean. Follow the 3M instructions for coating and a waiting time. I used painters tape and paper to cover the other areas of the door panel to prevent overspray of the 3M. It is a 2 person job! May I suggest also starting at the hole for the door handle and getting that inside edge in place completely first. This may be a three person job! Then work your way from the door handle back. Go slowly, and you can use a plastic putty knife to get the leather down into the crease along the edge. On our first door, we started at the wrong end - away from the handle opening, and ended up with a homemade seam on the strip in front of the handle because it is easy for the leather to stretch. On the second door, we still had some stretch, but because we worked from front to the rear of the panel we could just trim a little with a razor blade. Both panels look good, with the exception of the seam on the front. It looks ok, it is just noticible. The 3M is holding well. The left side panels have not shown any signs of peeling. Hope this helps someone else!
Flivver49

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Problems And Solutions