Outside temp.

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Outside temp.

Postby Escape176 - March 27th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Hey everyone.

I didnt know where to post this. but ill just ask away.

I have a 2011.
On the Radio display, that display center, I notice the other day in the sunlight, it can also tell me what the outside temp is. How do i turn it on??

Hope i said this right.
Escape176

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: Roush

Re: Outside temp.

Postby MDSCAPE12 - March 27th, 2012, 7:33 pm

It should be automatic, the key might have to be in the accessory or ON position. Also check the instrument panel lighting rheostat on the left side of the instrument panel should be right above or slightly beside the Drivers Information Center controls.
MDSCAPE12

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2013 Taurus SEL FWD V6
My vehicle's name: Keeping WARWAGON FOR NOW.

Postby tang - March 27th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Unfortunately, if you don't see if while the engine is running, you're without the software and maybe the sensor. Some people have seen the wiring for it and have bought the sensor, but the details are limited and/or iffy about how to get the Smart Junction Box (SJB) reprogrammed to read it. Some say it cannot be done once it's outside the factory, and I'm inclined to believe so.

Read this thread for more details: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1931&p=40524
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 15
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Postby MDSCAPE12 - March 28th, 2012, 12:43 am

I was looking at the Ford Escape Brochure and it does show as standard equipment on XLT and above models. Your signature shows 2011 XLT so that rules out that possibility.

Courtesy of the 2012 Ford Escape brochure. Although this is a 2012 brochure I don't believe there were any significant changes between 11 and 12 models.

XLT
Rapid Spec 200A
Includes select XLS features, plus:
Mechanical
6-speed automatic transmission
Seating
Premium-grade cloth seats
6-way power driver’s seat
Interior
Auto-dimming rearview mirror
Compass and outside temperature display
MDSCAPE12

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2013 Taurus SEL FWD V6
My vehicle's name: Keeping WARWAGON FOR NOW.

Postby wptski - March 28th, 2012, 7:52 am

I thought that I kept my '09 brochure but can't locate it right now but IIRC the ambient temperature readout was part of the Limited package. As mentioned above it could be a SJB programming problem. It may be like the trailer anti-sway option that comes "only" with the OEM installed trailer package. Nothing in the SJB info about a way to turn that feature ON.
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: '09 Ford Escape Limited, 4WD

Postby tang - March 28th, 2012, 11:31 am

Canadian and US packaging are different... not sure why Ford went through the hassle of all that. I would've loved heated seats in my XLT!
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 15
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Postby wptski - March 28th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Tang wrote:Canadian and US packaging are different... not sure why Ford went through the hassle of all that. I would've loved heated seats in my XLT!

By law, all vehicles sold in Canada must have Daylight Running Lamps, so the Escapes sold there do. I've wondered if anyone in the US has had that feature enabled. I'm not sure if that's listed as an option in the SJB either.
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby hworksinc - March 30th, 2012, 10:06 pm

The outdoor temp display is managed by the climate control module (this is true for both the manual and automatic systems). The display module itself may need special programming to enable the temperature display as well, but I rather doubt it. As was discussed in other threads, it seems that no one has discovered a way to reprogram the climate control modules.

The 2011 model year should, AFAIK, have the outside temp display enabled (2010 should as well, but only some of the 2009 models had it). If it's not working, I'd have the dealer look at it since this would be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. It's possible that the sensor is damaged, since the display will turn off if there is no input from the sensor.

The DRLs can indeed be enabled in the US. I had it enabled at the dealer, though they charged me $25 for the 5 minutes it took to hook up the computer and enable the software "switch." Odd observation by the way, the DRLs are disabled when the shift lever is in park. Most other vehicles with DRLs that I've seen have the DRLs on at all times when the engine is running, unless the parking brake is on.
hworksinc

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT 4x4

Postby wptski - March 30th, 2012, 10:42 pm

The ambient temperature is a seperate sensor located just behind the front grill or so the manual states. It has nothing to do with the climate control, why should it? There's is another temperature sensor as part of the AC unit to make condensation doesn't freeze. There's another temperature sensor for the interior too.

Although the Canadian Escape for '09 had DRL enabled, the service manual didn't show it as a feature that could be enabled. I've never heard of any '09 owner having it enabled, not that there wasn't just never posted.

Why would one need DRL while in Park?
Bill

wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby Mantruck101 - March 31st, 2012, 10:21 am

Tang wrote:I would've loved heated seats in my XLT!
Me too!

FWIW, both of our XLTs have working exterior temperature displays.
Current: 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD - 18K
Sold: 2010 Escape XLT V6 4WD -125K+ miles when I handed over the keys :-(
Mantruck101

E-C LEVEL 7
Congratulations on reaching 1,500 posts!
My vehicle: 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
My vehicle's name: The Meatball

Next

Return to Problems And Solutions