2002 2.0 engine questions

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

2002 2.0 engine questions

Postby truck490 - May 29th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I have an 2002 2.0 5 speed with 140k on the clock. My questions that anyone can shed light on

1. Ticking coming from the head. I think it may b getting louder. Maybe valves. Anything can be done about this. Or is it just normal

2. While listening to the ticking. I noticed that if I put my finger on the spark plug wire on the far passenger side (only this cylindar)I can feel the "push" of the cylinder on the wire.. Is this lost compression? when I pull the plug wire there is also carbon ontop of this plug and 1 other plug.

3. The reason I was under the hood. I get a fuel smell through the hvac when Ian stopped at a light or in traffic. It's pretty strong

Thanks for any help
truck490

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: 2002 2.0 engine questions

Postby ccroy - May 29th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Different vehicle, but I had a spark plug blow out of the head of a Toyota PU.

A shop could tell right away if it's going to go. They ended up putting a helicoil or other threaded insert in the head without having to remove it.

This was in the 1980's and the shop said it was my fault for using cheap plugs (Champions) in an aluminum head. Went back to NGK's and never had a problem again.

I'd assume today with most heads being aluminum today spark plugs are made for them, but like anything thing else threads wear and/or get damaged.

I'd get it checked immediately if you think that's what it is especially if you can hear an air pumping sound near that plug. If that's what it is and you ignore it the plug with pop right out while you're driving! :shock: It's an ugly sound and you now have a poor running 3 cylinder engine!
Chris
Laguna Hills, CA
2010 Ford Escape XLT, 2wd, 2.5L I-4
3/4 view by ccroy2010, on Flickr

ccroy

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape XLT 2wd 2.4l

Postby Charles - May 30th, 2012, 6:48 am

I moved your thread to Problems and Solutions. I think you might get a better response to your question here. :yes:

Present vehicles
2013 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 - Ruby Red Metallic - 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine, Equipment Group 502A, Lariat Chrome Package
2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Past Vehicles
2014 Ford Escape Titanium FWD - Ruby Red Metallic - Medium Light Stone Interior - 401A Equipment Group [HID headlamps, BLIS with Cross Traffic Alert, Rain sensing wipers, Active Park Assist], 2.0L EcoBoost engine, Navigation System, Roof Cross Bars, 19" wheels, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row, Cargo Liner), Reese Part Number 44694 Class III Hitch
Purchased 10/8/13, Traded 8/6/13
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2014 Escape Titanium FWD
My vehicle's name: Ruby

Postby truck490 - July 22nd, 2012, 5:39 pm

ccroy wrote:Different vehicle, but I had a spark plug blow out of the head of a Toyota PU.

A shop could tell right away if it's going to go. They ended up putting a helicoil or other threaded insert in the head without having to remove it.

This was in the 1980's and the shop said it was my fault for using cheap plugs (Champions) in an aluminum head. Went back to NGK's and never had a problem again.

I'd assume today with most heads being aluminum today spark plugs are made for them, but like anything thing else threads wear and/or get damaged.

I'd get it checked immediately if you think that's what it is especially if you can hear an air pumping sound near that plug. If that's what it is and you ignore it the plug with pop right out while you're driving! :shock: It's an ugly sound and you now have a poor running 3 cylinder engine!

Well I did take it in but the shop said they didn't find anything......fast forward a month and it shot the plug out of the head......it now at a ford dealer because I am away on vacation when this happened. Hopefully it doesn't cost that much.
truck490

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby martin-csr - July 24th, 2012, 9:04 am

A couple of things.

Has the timing belt been replaced? It should have been done at 120k miles.

Is a valve clearance check & adjustment supposed to be done on the 2.0L engine? I looked in the owner's manual & maintenance schedule for my 2002 model, but I didn't see any mention of it. However, the Chilton manual & Ford workshop manual show the procedure.
martin-csr

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2002 Escape XLS 2.0L 5MT

Postby truck490 - July 24th, 2012, 10:07 am

Yea I has the timing belt done. At 124k. I haven't seen any mention about a valve job though in maintenance requirements
truck490

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Problems And Solutions