Idle Shake! 2012 2.5L I-4

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Idle Shake! 2012 2.5L I-4

Postby flightwriter - July 11th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I've lived with a very noticeable shake at idle with my four-cylinder Escape since I bought it in December, but as it approaches 7,000 miles I'm wondering if this problem is really normal, or if there might be something wrong. In my opinion, a 2012 four-cylinder vehicle shouldn't vibrate the inside rearview mirror to the point of distorting the image when sitting at a stoplight.

Shifting into Neutral completely eliminates the shake, but that's a rather inelegant "solution" to the problem. That also makes me wonder if something isn't right between the transmission and the engine.

I know the 2.5 is on the large side for a four-banger, and thus more prone to idle vibration, but I also know that Honda solved this problem back in the eighties. My first car, a Plymouth Turismo, didn't shake this much - and it didn't have balance shafts!
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special." -- James "Jimmy V" Valvano

20% Front Window Tint * Stampede Hood Deflector * Chrome Exterior Mirror and Door Handle Appliques * Chrome Exhaust Tip * Cravenspeed 'Stubby' Antenna * K&N Engine Air Filter * Motorcraft Cabin Air Filter * SYNC USB-2 Cable Mod * Light Burl Wood Interior Trim * Ford OEM All-Weather Floor Mats * Ford OEM Cargo Net * Rear Cargo Mat
flightwriter

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Rob
My vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT 2.5L FWD

Re: Idle Shake! 2012 2.5L I-4

Postby jbone2470 - July 11th, 2012, 12:57 pm

I agree, new vehicle shouldn't be doing this..I have seen a few on here with the I4 shaky idle,erratic shifting,and lunging into gears.

Not sure what the outcome was,but maybe try disconnecting the neg battery terminal to reset the computer and do a idle relearn process that should be outlined in your owners manual..

Sorry i have no defined answer for ya, hopefully someone will who has or had this issue...Good Luck

"Everyone Deserves A Second Chance"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hella 500 FogLights,Aries Brushguard,Firestone Destination A/T's,Pioneer avh-p3300BT,UltraGuage EM,GArmin GPS,OEM Molded MudFlaps,AVS VentVisors,And many More to come....
jbone2470

E-C LEVEL 14
My nickname: JBONE
My vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape Limited4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: JBONE

Postby DasMonkey - July 11th, 2012, 1:41 pm

I'm willing to bet due to emissions and the like manufactures keep the idle at a low RPM. Add alittle bit of a load like being in gear and now you have an engine that is running but not at a smooth harmonic point and it's going through the drivetrain. This explains why it's find in idle.

My folks Fusion does this as well and more so when at a stop with the A/C cycling. I miss the old days when you could adjust the idle screw as have done in the past on other vehicles.

I know you can set idle RPM in Drive and Neutral/Park with the SCT tuner. so hopefully they could do the same for you at the dealer and turn it up.
DasMonkey

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2009 Ford Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: Nubbin

Postby Escaped_sn95 - July 11th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Search on the forums about this and you will find many topics about the neutralization and vibrations at idle. The 4 banger power wasn't bad but I couldnt take the NVH.
Escaped_sn95

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2012 Escape XLT V6 4WD

Postby mozz - July 11th, 2012, 10:28 pm

My 2010 4 cyl with the standard transmission does not shake, it has 42,000 miles on it now. The electric power steering has software that eliminates the shake you feel through the steering wheel. If you are under warranty, bring it back to the dealer. Don't let them tell you they all do this. Could be crappy gasoline too, try running a different brand.
2001 Ford Ranger XL 2.5l 2wd 5 speed
2003 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l 5 speed
2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0l 5 speed
2010 Ford Escape XLS 2.5l Fwd 5 speed
Need another garage
mozz

E-C LEVEL 5
My vehicle: 2010 XLS 2.5 Fwd Blue 5 speed

Postby flightwriter - July 12th, 2012, 2:07 pm

mozz wrote:My 2010 4 cyl with the standard transmission does not shake, it has 42,000 miles on it now. The electric power steering has software that eliminates the shake you feel through the steering wheel. If you are under warranty, bring it back to the dealer. Don't let them tell you they all do this. Could be crappy gasoline too, try running a different brand.

The automatic transmission seems to be a common denominator for this problem. Out of gear, mine is smooth, too.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special." -- James "Jimmy V" Valvano

20% Front Window Tint * Stampede Hood Deflector * Chrome Exterior Mirror and Door Handle Appliques * Chrome Exhaust Tip * Cravenspeed 'Stubby' Antenna * K&N Engine Air Filter * Motorcraft Cabin Air Filter * SYNC USB-2 Cable Mod * Light Burl Wood Interior Trim * Ford OEM All-Weather Floor Mats * Ford OEM Cargo Net * Rear Cargo Mat
flightwriter

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby tomw - July 13th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Unless you are willing to accept that 'this is the way it is...', then take a trip to your dealer, and ask to start up another vehicle, put it in gear, and observe. If they both perform the same way, then that may be the nature of the beast.
But I don't think so.
I have read about how the motor mounts can be un-equally loaded, or distorted due to 'things' happening while being assembled. No idea what, but I can imagine if one mount were tightened while the others were loose, then the engine and transmission had to be levered into place to get the other bolts to line up, there would be uneven load on the mounts, possibly transmitting more vibration to the chassis than intended. There is a procedure that supports the drivetrain, loosens all the mount bolts, and then, with the mounts 'relaxed', re-tightens the mounts. That would make none of the mounts pre-loaded, and give full normal travel to all the mounts.
When the transmission is in neutral or in gear, the engine rpm should be maintained. Same thing when the A/C is engaged. If the idle rpms are not constant, there is likely a problem with the IAC or learned settings.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Postby silverstreak - July 13th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Our 2011 I4 shakes at idle too. We tried several I4's when making our choice and found it to be normal. Like mentioned in another thread about the shake, our Fusion does the same too.
silverstreak

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited
My vehicle's name: Silverstreak

Postby flightwriter - July 14th, 2012, 6:37 pm

silverstreak wrote:Our 2011 I4 shakes at idle too. We tried several I4's when making our choice and found it to be normal. Like mentioned in another thread about the shake, our Fusion does the same too.

I'm increasingly convinced that's just the way it is, too. My next oil change is due in about 2,000 miles, so I'll have the dealer check things out then, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't find anything.

Speaking of the Fusion, my friend's 2006 with the 2.3L seems a lot smoother at idle, as did a 2005 rental Mazda 6i with the same engine (the latter surprised me to the point I still remember it.)

flightwriter

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Knightrider03m - July 15th, 2012, 12:22 am

Yes its normal. That is one of 2 reasons why I bought the V6

2012 Ford Escape XLT (Angel)- 3.0L V6 6 speed automatic
2006 Chevy HHR LT (Janet)- 2.4L I4 4 speed automatic
1993 Honda Accord LX (Scout)- 2.2L I4 5 speed manual

Knightrider03m

E-C LEVEL 3