FUEL FILL INLET ERROR MESSAGE

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Re: FUEL FILL INLET ERROR MESSAGE

Postby Mantruck101 - April 20th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Bump...
Current: 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD - 19K
Sold: 2010 Escape XLT V6 4WD -125K+ miles when I handed over the keys :-(
Mantruck101

E-C LEVEL 7
Congratulations on reaching 1,500 posts!
My vehicle: 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
My vehicle's name: The Meatball

Postby Mantruck101 - June 1st, 2013, 6:38 pm

Mantruck101 wrote:My turn with this problem.

I got the Check Fuel Inlet Message 2 weeks ago today after getting gas the previous night. I jammed the plastic funnel thing in there a bunch of times. The message went away after a few drive cycles, but then returned followed by a CEL. I cleared the CEL and the messages stayed away for a couple days. I've gotten gas twice since the original message but I'm still getting the Check Fuel Fill Inlet Message no matter how many times I jam that stupid plastic funnel in there. It threw another CEL again two days ago with code P0457 (loose fuel cap). Since it keeps happening, I'm thinking sometimes is broken and it's not just debris in there.

(1) Is it OK to put off this repair until my next oil change (probably about 6-8 weeks from now)?
(2) What else could I damage by continuing to drive my E and clearing the CELs as I get them until my next service?
(3) I'm WAY out of warranty... Anybody had to pay for this repair out of pocket? How much is this going to hurt?
(4) Anybody completed this repair themselves? Is it easy enough? I'm mechanically inclined and have some tools.
(5) I typically fill my E two-clicks after the pump automatically shuts off. Do you think this could have led to this failure?

As a follow-up, I drove around with the CEL on for about 6 weeks. Today, the dealer wanted $97 to "diagnose the CEL." Like I told them, their computer confirmed that something was up with the evap valve. My Escape passed all the tests they ran (including a smoke test) so they were a bit stumped. In the end, they cleaned some debris out of said valve that they think was preventing it from closing completely (they said it was pretty dirty). No parts were replaced, the CEL was reset, and they didn't charge me anymore than that initial $97 for that job.

We'll see if this "fix" sticks or if my CEL comes back in a few drive cycles.
Mantruck101

E-C LEVEL 7

Postby Mantruck101 - June 7th, 2013, 6:23 pm

CEL came back two days later. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: Here's an excerpt from my just-written post inanother related thread:

Mantruck101 wrote:The CEL came back on Monday morning on my way to work, but without the CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message. This time, it was a P0458 code (gross leak or something according to my code reader).

I ordered a new charcoal canister and some related solenoid ($55, shipped from Tasca Parts) this week and hope to eliminate the problem by replacing those parts. After I ordered them, I got to thinking maybe the dealer did fix the problem by cleaning whatever they cleaned, but accidentally created a new one when re-assembling the system (i.e., forgetting to reconnect a vent hose perhaps?). I suspect this since I'm no longer getting the CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message and the code is different (P0455 vs P0458).
Mantruck101

E-C LEVEL 7

Postby Mantruck101 - June 22nd, 2013, 3:04 pm

The saga continues... I had a different garage replace the EVAP canister and solenoid assembly this past Thursday. CEL came back on again with the same P0455 code on the way to work Friday morning. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: So much for trying to diagnose it myself... So far I'm out $250 and it's still not fixed!

It's going back again to the dealer on July 3rd. They agreed to waive the diagnostic fee this time since they didn't diagnose the problem correctly the first time.
Mantruck101

E-C LEVEL 7

Postby mjp1234escape - July 5th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Having the same issue again. Fuel fill inlet warning came on again and so did the check engine light. The code it pulls is P0455 - large evap system leak. After it came on I again unhooked the battery to kill the code, but it came on again. Guess I will have to bring it into the dealer to get checked out. Its due for an inspection in a few months, and in NY you cant pass an inspection withe the cel on. I could try to replace parts as well, but I'll just use the Geico warranty I have - its still a 250 deductible, but at least that will be the max it will cost.
mjp1234escape

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2010 STEEL BLUE ESCAPE 4CYL

Postby Tomt - July 6th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Am I the only one who hates this system? I find it much more finicky to use, poorer at retaining the pump nozzle, and simply more cumbersome than a good ol' cap...

tomw wrote:This is the 'capless' fill system, right?
2013 Escape 2.0L FWD Ruby Red Titanium w/ every option except panorama roof; delivered 8/4/12; 15K miles
2011 Nissan Leaf SL-e EV; delivered 3/1/11; 51K miles
Tomt

E-C LEVEL 5

Postby Mantruck101 - July 19th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Yeah, it's the capless system. My Escape went back to the dealer on the July 3rd and they cleaned the same thing a second time. Not surprisingly, this didn't work and my CEL and the CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message returned the next day. I'm annoyed that they didn't try something new to fix the problem. (Isn't the definition of insanity something along the lines of repeating the same action and expecting a different result?) It essentially was a wasted trip for me (thank goodness they didn't charge me).

I called back and complained and the service manager stated that their next attempt would involve replacing the fuel filler neck assembly. He quoted me $298 for the part itself! I found it on Tascaparts.com for $85 (+$10) to ship it. Yeah... It came in earlier this week but I'm postponing having it installed. The Escape runs fine so why make another trip to the garage? I'm annoyed to say the least. I'm in about $250 in parts and this will be the 4th trip to a garage (2 already to the dealer and 1 to another garage) and the issue persists. It's going to wait until I'm due for another oil change for repair attempt #4.

I'm beginning to understand why people dump cars @ 100K miles. Even if this relatively cheap $85 part (plus labor) proves to be the fix, the headache of figuring it out has been extremely annoying.

Finally, I don't hate the capless system. Dealing with a gas cap is gross. I don't believe my problem is directly due to the capless design, but if it is, then maybe I hate it. Replacing a $15 gas cap sure would have been a lot easier.
Mantruck101

E-C LEVEL 7

Postby mjp1234escape - August 16th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Finally the problem is solved. After the CEL and check fuel fill inlet message came on again, I took it to the dealer. First they cleaned the fuel fill inlet and cleared the CEL. This lasted exactly 2 days before they both came on again. If you have this same problem, when you bring it to the dealer, insist they dont simply clean the inlet and send you on your way. It does not work and is a waste of your time. Brought it back again and they said they neeed to do a smoke test, but the tank was full, so I had to wait to use 1/2 tank of gas (the tank must be less than 1/2 full to do the test). They said the problem was the fuel fill inlet (no, really?) and the purge regulation valve. The valve should be easy to replace on your own - I believe it is in the engine compartment. The part number is 9u5z-9c915-h and cost 57.98 and 110.00 to install. If I had time, I would have replaced the part on my own before I brought the car in. Replace it yourself and save the money. The fuel fill inlet part number is cl8z - 9034-a. The inlet part and installation were covered under the emissions warranty (the warranty is up to 80k miles). To replace the inlet, the tank had to be less than 1/4 full. The total bill was $100 to diagnose, $57.98 for the valve, and $110 to install the valve ($278 total incld taxes). With those 2 parts replaced, I havent had any issues in the last 3 weeks. I do hate the capless system though.
mjp1234escape

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2010 STEEL BLUE ESCAPE 4CYL

Postby microb859 - August 30th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Update on the cel...
2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L 4WD & 2009 Yamaha FZ6 599cc
ImageImage

Valvoline Full Syn 5w20, PureONE Oil Filter, Royal Purple Syn 75w90/140 Diff/PTO Oil, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Morimoto MH1 5.0 3five 4300k Retrofit, xB LED Halo DRLs, Sylvania Silverstar Parking lights, Nokya 2500k Yellow 35wFogs, LED Side Markers, LED 3rd Brake Light, LED License Plate Light, Smoke Front Plate Cover, SAP Grille & Headlights, Plastidip Rims, Wolo Bad Boy Airhorn, Husky Molded Splash Guards, AVS Vent Visors & Bugflector II, Pilot SS 3" Exhaust Tip, Weathertech digital front/rear floor mats
microb859

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 09' Escape XLT 3.0L 4WD
My vehicle's name: Fiona

Postby Mantruck101 - September 1st, 2013, 9:58 am

CEL is still on in my Escape. I couldn't be bothered to take it back in before its next service as it runs fine. Like I mentioned previously, this will be the 4th attempt to fix it.

Its next oil change is about 1,000 miles and a month away so I'll give the dealer another chance to extinguish the CEL by changing the fuel filler pipe with the new one I ordered from Tasca Parts during that service.
Mantruck101

E-C LEVEL 7

PreviousNext

Return to Problems And Solutions