Mantruck101 wrote:My turn with this problem.
I got the Check Fuel Inlet Message 2 weeks ago today after getting gas the previous night. I jammed the plastic funnel thing in there a bunch of times. The message went away after a few drive cycles, but then returned followed by a CEL. I cleared the CEL and the messages stayed away for a couple days. I've gotten gas twice since the original message but I'm still getting the Check Fuel Fill Inlet Message no matter how many times I jam that stupid plastic funnel in there. It threw another CEL again two days ago with code P0457 (loose fuel cap). Since it keeps happening, I'm thinking sometimes is broken and it's not just debris in there.
(1) Is it OK to put off this repair until my next oil change (probably about 6-8 weeks from now)?
(2) What else could I damage by continuing to drive my E and clearing the CELs as I get them until my next service?
(3) I'm WAY out of warranty... Anybody had to pay for this repair out of pocket? How much is this going to hurt?
(4) Anybody completed this repair themselves? Is it easy enough? I'm mechanically inclined and have some tools.
(5) I typically fill my E two-clicks after the pump automatically shuts off. Do you think this could have led to this failure?
Mantruck101 wrote:The CEL came back on Monday morning on my way to work, but without the CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message. This time, it was a P0458 code (gross leak or something according to my code reader).
I ordered a new charcoal canister and some related solenoid ($55, shipped from Tasca Parts) this week and hope to eliminate the problem by replacing those parts. After I ordered them, I got to thinking maybe the dealer did fix the problem by cleaning whatever they cleaned, but accidentally created a new one when re-assembling the system (i.e., forgetting to reconnect a vent hose perhaps?). I suspect this since I'm no longer getting the CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message and the code is different (P0455 vs P0458).
tomw wrote:This is the 'capless' fill system, right?
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests