Liftgate Rattle '09 Escape

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Liftgate Rattle '09 Escape

Postby DaveJ - December 10th, 2012, 4:40 pm

After about 50K miles my Escape now has a liftgate rattle coming from the post & lock assembly. I wrapped the post with electrical tape and the rattle went away. However, this lasted only about 2 weeks and I had to replace the tape.

Does anyone know of a somewhat permanent fix for this problem? Does the liftgate need adjustment? Will the lock post just unscrew so I can attempt to install some sort of rubber or plastic sleeve over the post?

Thanks.
2009 Escape Limited FWD V6 Sync Audiophile
User avatar
DaveJ
 
Posts: 252
E-C LEVEL 3
Congratulations on reaching 250 posts!
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 8:48 am
Location: North Carolina
My vehicle: 2009 Escape Limited V6 FWD

Re: Liftgate Rattle '09 Escape

Postby Domain - December 10th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Not related, but lubricate your liftgate glass as well. That one was giving me grief recently, and was silenced by the addition of black lithium grease. May also prove availing for the liftgate latch assembly as well.
Domain

Current: 2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

Prior Fleet:
2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD (now in Ohio)
2008 Ford Fusion SE AWD (now in Pennsylvania)
2011 Ford Escape XLT AWD (sold, hopefully to a good home.)
2013 Ford Taurus SEL FWD (sold, hopefully to a good home as well.)

30 NY Counties - 3 States/Provinces - 2 Countries - 1 Escape
Domain
First poster on E-C's THIRD new server
 
Posts: 1354
E-C LEVEL 6
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 8:49 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York
My vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
My vehicle's name: The Bull

Re: Liftgate Rattle '09 Escape

Postby tang - December 10th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Apparently the glass hinges on my Escape were worked on at one time when I ran this complaint by the dealership, but they also had to readjust the locking mechanism on the liftgate itself on my Escape.
tang
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6982
E-C LEVEL 15
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 12:32 pm
Location: 612-763-952-651
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Re: Liftgate Rattle '09 Escape

Postby FordService - December 12th, 2012, 4:19 pm

DaveJ wrote:After about 50K miles my Escape now has a liftgate rattle coming from the post & lock assembly. I wrapped the post with electrical tape and the rattle went away. However, this lasted only about 2 weeks and I had to replace the tape.

Does anyone know of a somewhat permanent fix for this problem? Does the liftgate need adjustment? Will the lock post just unscrew so I can attempt to install some sort of rubber or plastic sleeve over the post?

Thanks.


Hi DaveJ,

Have you stopped by your dealership so they can take a look? Ford certified techs are great at tracking down and resolving issues like this one. Let me know how it goes!

Tang wrote:Apparently the glass hinges on my Escape were worked on at one time when I ran this complaint by the dealership, but they also had to readjust the locking mechanism on the liftgate itself on my Escape.


Domain wrote:Not related, but lubricate your liftgate glass as well. That one was giving me grief recently, and was silenced by the addition of black lithium grease. May also prove availing for the liftgate latch assembly as well.


Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions, Tang and Domain! I'm sure DaveJ appreciates it. :)

Crystal
User avatar
FordService
Yes, a real, verified Ford Customer Service Representative
 
Posts: 914
E-C LEVEL 5
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 8:36 pm


Return to Problems And Solutions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: old_enough, tomw, Yahoo [Bot] and 76 guests