Rear Wheel Well Rust - Frame/Suspension shot?

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Re: Rear Wheel Well Rust - Frame/Suspension shot?

Postby tribute-03 - May 28th, 2013, 10:53 pm

I've got a 2003 Tribute, and I've been lucky that my floor and wheel wells don't have severe rust in them.

...that said, this spring I found there is a hole right through the top of my tailgate, and my rear fender edges, where the doors are have rusted through....only a matter of time now...
tribute-03

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jeeper74 - July 24th, 2013, 8:34 am

My 2006 Escape had the same problem.Ford would do nothing for me. My Ford dealer referred me to a local welder that works on cars. I located a junk Escape and purchased the rear passenger quarter. The welder cut the rusted section out and welded a section of the junk wheel well in place. My 06 is a hybrid, the rust extends up to the rear battery. The welder would not touch the battery so I had the Escape towed to Ford to have the battery removed then towed back to the welder. When the wheel well is fixed I will then need to have the Escape towed back to ford to have the battery reinstalled. This process will take a month by the time I get my vehicle back. Thankfully I have AAA, they covered all the towing costs. I do like this car and was very disappointed that Ford will do nothing for me. By the way the wheel well replacement from Ford is on a 3 month back order, that is why I went with the junk replacement.
I hope this works and the other side does not do the same thing. I have purchased nothing but Fords since 1985, I will look at other makers for my next vehicle.
jeeper74

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby WI Motoman - July 26th, 2013, 1:18 am

Nanobee, what city, state, do you live in. I have the same problem with my 2005, but have yet to locate a shop that will consider anything but replacing the whole inner and outer panels at a cost of $5,000+. I need to find a guy who knows how to weld in a new piece.
WI Motoman

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby intillzah - July 26th, 2013, 10:07 pm

You got me scared, I went out to the garage and examined my wheel wells really close. No rust or anything like that at all, the previous owner really rustproofed the heck out of the wells. As for those who aren't so fortunate as I was. I hope you get your problems fixed, this is a heck of a safety issue...

EDIT: I think what has also helped me is that the first owner of my Escape lived in Texas. But he had extra rustproofing done anyway... :yes:
intillzah

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape Limited
My vehicle's name: Anubis

Postby ddickte - August 11th, 2013, 4:51 pm

My 05 is the same way. I think we all need to start something with Ford and make them recall this.
ddickte

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby acrosstheveil - August 14th, 2013, 8:13 am

i went out to check my 02 for rust and it looks like they sprayed some sort of sealant on the wheel wells. it looks like that grippy stuff you spray in the back of truck beds. I don't know if it comes like that or the last owner did it but it is a good idea.
acrosstheveil

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby cbach89 - August 14th, 2013, 10:39 am

Took my 05 Escape to the mechanic today to check the brake system and he mentioned some stuff about recalls. I got home and checked http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchComplaints to see if I could find stuff on the brake system but the majority of complaints were about this problem -the shock mount in rear wheel well is completely rusted and causing serious problems. Now I'm worried about this as well and I'm going to check the condition of my mount - hopefully it's ok....
cbach89

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby acrosstheveil - August 14th, 2013, 3:10 pm

i would spray some anti-rust spray (wd-40, etc) or something more permanent if you have even a speck of rust. i wouldn't play around with any corrosion in that area. the end result will not be good.
acrosstheveil

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Adwinistrator - August 19th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Having the exact same problem, about to enter the lions den of car dealerships and regional reps to try and address this... Any more advice is appreciated.

My thread
Adwinistrator

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby shuteme00 - September 15th, 2013, 12:58 pm

I had the same problem on our 2005 Escape XLS. At the time it had 76,000 miles. My wife complained of a rattle/bang in the back of the car. I was shocked with what I found. The passenger side was very bad and I even found a few small holes on the driver side once I got the interior removed. In my opinion the damage was caused by moisture/salt/debris finding imperfections in the under coating and was then trapped between the undercoat and the body until it rotted away. This happened in April 2013. I did a complete 4 wheel brake job and tire rotation in October 2012 and there were no signs of imminent failure because all of the undercoat was still in place, even if there was no metal behind it. I was chipping away undercoat during the repair that had no metal left behind it at all. I did all the repair work myself, making my own patch panels and the better part of 20 hours cleaning, cutting, welding, and grinding. The repair may not be body shop perfect but the price was right. On top of it all, a squirrel got in through the hole overnight and chewed on a trim piece and the center rear seat belt :wall:

Moral of the story: Your escape may be rusting away and you might not even be able to see it unless you remove the rear interior panels.

It is not accepting the links to my individual pictures, but the album can be found here: http://s81.photobucket.com/user/shuteme ... ape%20Rust
shuteme00

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

PreviousNext

Return to Problems And Solutions