Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Escape 2002 coils

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ecovan150 
#1 ·
don't understand this coils !!!

ford escape have 6 coils cop and when i use my multimeter to measure current resistance or ohms on all coils it sad, 0.8 ... in all coils, but num # 5 its bad nooo curret spark on it . ...i just want to now what is my confused of this measure and why she don't work and the others works..? :confused:

don't now :?

#4 ·
Also the epoxy potting is prone to very small cracks with age and heat exposure. Said cracks allow moisture in and can cause misfires. A coil in this condition may work fine in Arizona, but take a drive to Florida and you might start having misfires.

#8 ·
I have experienced some misfires on my '04 XLS V-6 during some of the damp weather we have been having here in the northeast. Pretty sure it's an ignition issue. Misfired on the no. 5 cylinder, according to my scanner. Was going to replace the boots, but then I saw a set of six coils available from several different vendors on ebay for under $60! The brand is "Herko". I have never heard of this manufacturer before. A set of six coils for under $60 seems really inexpensive. When I have replaced COP-type coils on other vehicles, they have typically been $80 to $150 each. Has anybody used these Herko coils? I am curious if they are a decent product, or junk?

#10 ·
Gil_Jrz said:
I have experienced some misfires on my '04 XLS V-6 during some of the damp weather we have been having here in the northeast. Pretty sure it's an ignition issue. Misfired on the no. 5 cylinder, according to my scanner. Was going to replace the boots, but then I saw a set of six coils available from several different vendors on ebay for under $60! The brand is "Herko". I have never heard of this manufacturer before. A set of six coils for under $60 seems really inexpensive. When I have replaced COP-type coils on other vehicles, they have typically been $80 to $150 each. Has anybody used these Herko coils? I am curious if they are a decent product, or junk?
It is a hit or miss on quality on ebay coils at that price.Some have had no issues, others had to replace them.To me if i gonna replace the coils i gonna get the dealer ones and be done with it.

Since they about $125 each from dealer,i only bought the back 3 coils at once and then replaced the front 3 at another time.Since the back 3 are hard to do without takin intake off.

So if ya gonna do plugs and have money issues only replace the rear 3 coils and put one of the good ones from rear to front cyl u havin problems with so then when ya do have money u can easliy replace the front coils with ease..

Also keep in mind to check the intake gaskets as they are known for leaks and misfires.And they cheap to buy so it great time to check and replace them when u have the intake off.

Also might as replace pcv valve too when intakie off.Much easier to get at..

Also the symptoms u having are a known issue with coils going bad with damp weather..Get the whole coil replaced if ya have over 100,000 miles and dont drive around with a misfire,it will cause more costly problems for ya..

Go motorcraft for coils IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.