Overfilled Transmission Fluid

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Overfilled Transmission Fluid

Postby acrosstheveil - August 7th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I drained and refilled my transaxle fluid a couple weeks ago and it seems I have overfilled it by about an inch. The fluid level is a little under and inch above the black plastic thing. Is this bad ? What would be the easiest way to drain it?
acrosstheveil

E-C LEVEL 2

Re: Overfilled Transmission Fluid

Postby zebulon - August 7th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Yes, it is very bad to overfill an automatic transmission. The oil foams as the internals operate, causing the oil to overheat and allowing foamed in air to enter the hydraulic pump and servo circuits.
How did you drain the original fluid? This is how to lower the fluid level now. Cold, the fluid level should be slightly BELOW the add mark with the engine running in park.......the fluid should be between the full and add mark with the transmission at full operating temperature, with the engine running of course.
zebulon

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: '13 E SE, '06 E XLT, '03 F250

Postby wptski - August 7th, 2013, 2:34 pm

I know that some have used one of those hand vacuum pump that you can get at a auto parts store to reduce the level. Might be a bit tiring though! :D
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: '09 Ford Escape Limited, 4WD

Postby zebulon - August 7th, 2013, 3:02 pm

wptski wrote:I know that some have used one of those hand vacuum pump that you can get at a auto parts store to reduce the level. Might be a bit tiring though! :D

vacuum pump is a good idea. depending on what transmission we are talking about, briefly removing the drain plug only long enough to drain the excess fluid may work.
zebulon

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby wptski - August 7th, 2013, 10:05 pm

zebulon wrote:vacuum pump is a good idea. depending on what transmission we are talking about, briefly removing the drain plug only long enough to drain the excess fluid may work.

It would be precise if anything.
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby zebulon - August 8th, 2013, 7:30 am

wptski wrote:
zebulon wrote:vacuum pump is a good idea. depending on what transmission we are talking about, briefly removing the drain plug only long enough to drain the excess fluid may work.

It would be precise if anything.

agreed, a vacuum pump would allow careful adjustment of the fluid level. dumping excess via the drain plug, dumping too much and then adding to the proper level is typical[at least for me]
the biggest problem I have is seeing the proper level on the dip stick immediately after adding fluid. the residue in the dip stick tube coats the whole dipstick. driving around the block each time I add fluid seems to be the only way to keep the transmission temp up and allow the excess fluid in the dip stick tube to settle for an accurate reading.
zebulon

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby wptski - August 8th, 2013, 7:53 am

zebulon wrote:agreed, a vacuum pump would allow careful adjustment of the fluid level. dumping excess via the drain plug, dumping too much and then adding to the proper level is typical[at least for me]
the biggest problem I have is seeing the proper level on the dip stick immediately after adding fluid. the residue in the dip stick tube coats the whole dipstick. driving around the block each time I add fluid seems to be the only way to keep the transmission temp up and allow the excess fluid in the dip stick tube to settle for an accurate reading.

That's a problem with most any dipstick. Pumping it out is less messy.

I had a ATF leak on my '09 which turned out to be that the dealer filled it to the full if not a tad above the max line. It appears that "some" 6F35 transaxles will blow the ATF out the fill tube if at the max level. Their fix is to keep it at about the lower 1/3 of the good area on the dipstick. It would only do this when driven at highway speeds. This happened last year after the dealer did a oil change and topped it off. Funny it takes four years to figure this out!
Bill

wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby acrosstheveil - August 8th, 2013, 8:13 am

good to know that there was no damage after driving it for years overfilled. I think I will be safe to go by Napa on the way back from the shop when I pick up my car. I'll pick up a cheap transfer pump and take some out.
acrosstheveil

E-C LEVEL 2

Return to Problems And Solutions