4 Wheel Drive Not Engaging

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Re: 4 Wheel Drive Not Engaging

Postby wptski - January 23rd, 2011, 12:48 pm

SUVord wrote:Thank wptski for the input.
I still have a question for you.Do you sense any time lag in the scangauge readings?
I'm asking because in my 2004 Maverick I do have a couple of seconds of delay.
The same delay was there when my scangauge was put on a friend's 2006 Maverick here in Greece.
Thank you again, :beer:

There is a very slight delay in response time which I blame on the DBW(drive by wire) but I and others had noticed a larger delay in throttle response which caused a so-called lurch. The delay(lurch) was felt when trying to accelerate from a dead stop was eliminated with the 10B15 recall for me.

All that scoping, etc. was done in the summer of '09 long before the 10B15 was performed.

If you think there is a delay in response, look at the claim(s) of reponse time for sensing wheel spin to activate 4WD and ABS.

I might add that I'm not a firm believer that the 4WD system works as they say it does. I've never seen increased torque even when I floored it hard on packed snow nor did I seen increased torque when I floored it on dry pavement. Both are claims for the system's operation.

I did see a few percent at a constant speed while changing lanes on a snow tracked road.
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: '09 Ford Escape Limited, 4WD

Postby SUVord - January 23rd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Thank you again!
I totally agree with you depending on what I have noticed in true driving conditions.
Again, my sense and understanding is in total agreement with yours.
Thank you once more for your reply, :beer:
Be cool-Be nice-LEEDS UNITED
SUVord
First poster on E-C's new server

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: Jacindo
My vehicle: Ford Maverick 3l XLT
My vehicle's name: Argos

Postby wptski - January 23rd, 2011, 2:11 pm

SUVord wrote:Thank you again!
I totally agree with you depending on what I have noticed in true driving conditions.
Again, my sense and understanding is in total agreement with yours.
Thank you once more for your reply, :beer:

Here's one of my captures from that time in '09. It shows 24% which is easily calculated becasue it runs at 1kH or 1ms per period/cycle/hertz. If you look at the dX value(far right) or the difference between the two cursors, it's .24ms of ON time, so .24/1=.24 or 24%. The scope screen measurement can be set to show the duty cycle but this the actual signal it calculates from. The date/time are incorrect as this happens when the battery goes dead.

I had my console apart for two months! :cuss:

Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby megascape - January 24th, 2011, 1:21 am

does anybody know if the ABS is not working will it stop the 4wheel drive from working on an 08?
megascape

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: secross2
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape AWD/4X4
My vehicle's name: Megascape (hopeful)

Postby wptski - January 24th, 2011, 8:34 am

megascape wrote:does anybody know if the ABS is not working will it stop the 4wheel drive from working on an 08?

The manual states that the ABS system can take control of the 4WD system under certain driving conditions but doesn't explain what those driving conditions are, so it sounds like it could. It depends on wether or not wheel speed sensors output goes through the ABS module first if there is one.

"Supposedly" if your have front wheel slippage, rear wheel torque is increased but if you had side differences in wheel speed that would involve the ABS system as well.
Bill

wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby SUVord - January 24th, 2011, 9:29 am

I would think it all depends as to what is causing the ABS not to work.
I can not be certain for newer Escapes but this is what's happenning with my 2004.
For all off-road events I deactivate the ABS by unplugging the fuse.The result is no ABS but the auto 4X4 engagement works fine.
Now, if the ABS is not working because of a tear on the wheel sensor cable or problem with the sensor itself, then there is no auto 4X4 egagement but only manually set with the switch.
SUVord

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby wptski - January 24th, 2011, 11:39 am

SUVord wrote:I would think it all depends as to what is causing the ABS not to work.
I can not be certain for newer Escapes but this is what's happenning with my 2004.
For all off-road events I deactivate the ABS by unplugging the fuse.The result is no ABS but the auto 4X4 engagement works fine.
Now, if the ABS is not working because of a tear on the wheel sensor cable or problem with the sensor itself, then there is no auto 4X4 egagement but only manually set with the switch.

I'm glad that you posted this as I was thinking about pulling the fuse and see if the 4WD still activates. The only thing is that if there is a wheel sensor problem I'd think that it would set a DTC.
Bill

wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby megascape - January 24th, 2011, 8:56 pm

I tore my sensor line on my driver side front. But my suspension is nice and comfortable now :yes:
megascape

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: secross2
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape AWD/4X4
My vehicle's name: Megascape (hopeful)

Postby SUVord - January 25th, 2011, 8:59 am

wptski wrote:
SUVord wrote:I would think it all depends as to what is causing the ABS not to work.

I'm glad that you posted this as I was thinking about pulling the fuse and see if the 4WD still activates. The only thing is that if there is a wheel sensor problem I'd think that it would set a DTC.

I have destroyed many sensors and their cables.At least a couple each year.
Yes, you get a DTC but it is not enough to distinguish between sensor problem or cable problem.
And there is a big difference, because a cable problem can be fixed by some delicate work but not the sensor.
I repeat that everything said above applies to pre 2005 Escapes, like my Maverick.
SUVord

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby SUVord - January 25th, 2011, 9:12 am

megascape wrote:I tore my sensor line on my driver side front. But my suspension is nice and comfortable now :yes:

I am really interested to know whether your 4X4 system engages.Good opportunity to sheck it out with an assistant.
The cable can be mended with extra caution taken for insulating one of the wires against the other.
After you roll around the insulating tape over any of the two wires, roll on top of them some thin cigarettes pack aluminum foil and more insulating tape over that.
Erase the DTC when done and you are set.
SUVord

E-C LEVEL 10

PreviousNext

Return to Problems And Solutions