Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Frustration about leaking halfshaft oil seal

11K views 64 replies 18 participants last post by  timw2 
#1 ·
I took my 2010 Escape to the dealer in the beginning of November because the driver's side halfshaft oil seal was leaking. They confirmed the problem, which I guess is fairly common on the 2009s and early 2010s. Unfortunately, there was a national backorder on the oil seals, and I was told not to expect to get one in until January 22nd (2 1/2 months later). Fast forward to today (January 28th). I called my dealer again, frustrated that I had not heard anything about the oil seal. The service manager did a little digging and called me back this afternoon.

It turns out that the manufacturer of the oil seals for Ford went bankrupt and closed, so Ford has been scrambling to find a new supplier. Because of this, the national backorder is still in effect, and the dealer was told not to expect any oil seals until March 22nd (5 months after my initial problem). I trust this dealer, and I don't think they're yanking my chain, since all of my other issues have always been promptly addressed. I just thought I'd post in case anyone else has a leaking halfshaft seal - don't expect it to get fixed anytime soon :-(

#2 ·
I think I had the same issue. I waited a while for the part to come in... don't exactly remember how long though. I'll tell you what though... I made a mention to my service tech about it when I brought it in for an oil change and it was about ten minutes into the service when he came back to deliver the inevitable news.

There are at least two or three threads highlighting the same issue, and I know one of them has a good number of posts by yours truly.

I think the supplier got screwed big when this TSB/semi-recall started since (and I'm guessing) Ford cut them off for permanent contracts. The issue might have also included the Fusion/Milan/MKZ trio, but I'm not certain on that.

If I recall correctly, this was a major issue that was not completely resolved until mid-2010 model year builds. I had an early build 2009 MY, so I'm getting some of the funny transmission and axle seal issues, albeit I have not had to have my transmission replaced or rebuilt (either because of sheer luck or a lazy dealership... neither of which I am sure of).

I'm surprised that they still haven't had it show up yet. I could check a few dealerships around here for you if you wanted; you're only a 'few' hours away from Minneapolis.

#3 ·
I doubt that the manufacturer of the oil seals would also make the half-shafts also but it's possible. I worked seven years for Federal-Mogul who owned National Seals. Law suits over asbestos darn near put Federal-Mogul under.

If there is a shortage of oil seals for service parts, I wonder if production of the 6F35 transaxle is slowed or stopped??

#4 ·
Mine starting leaking in November. Booked it in, part was in stock, done in a day. A coworker just had his done a week or so ago on his 2010 and had no issues with supply either...not sure if he experienced the shortage but he said nothing (and we often have "Escape" chats...he bought his because of mine). Maybe it is a Ford USA problem as I haven't heard of it in Canada.

I wonder if you call a Canadian dealer to get the part shipped? You may have to pay for the seal (I think its around $10) since free trade is only 2 words and not for real, but the dealer should be able to still warranty the labour....I would highly recommend trying Discovery Ford in Burlington, ON....great dealer, great service....or perhaps one closer to Iowa (maybe one in Winnipeg?) but once its in the mail it really doesn't matter.

#5 ·
I am not certain but the oil seals, oil ring seals and the like go in the market under specific dimensions.
They fall under the generic parts category.
That seal, may be, could be found at some store specializing in bearings and seals.I know that seal myself and it soes not look as something very unique.

#6 ·
SUVord said:
I am not certain but the oil seals, oil ring seals and the like go in the market under specific dimensions.
That seal, may be, could be found at some store specializing in bearings and seals.I know that seal myself and it soes not look as something very unique.
That's a good point, and I appreciate all of the comments so far. The fact of the matter is, however, that my Escape is still under warranty, and I don't want to do anything that would put that into jeopardy. I'm actually fine with waiting (for now) - I have been checking the transmission fluid weekly, and after 3 months, I have barely even noticed a change in the fluid level. I'm going to see if the dealer will comp me a bottle of the Mercon LV fluid, and call it good until the seal gets in.

#7 ·
SUVord said:
Yes, they go by ID, OD, thickness, single or double lip, etc. They have cross reference books also. A dealer ain't going to fiddle with that stuff as they just order the Ford part number out of the book.

Just look at the Windstar axle recall. The company that made the axles is gone, the dies are gone and they have to start from scratch. My dealer has 44 Windstars on their lot a few weeks ago waiting for parts, some since last July. Plus there is another recall on Windstar in the last week or so!

#8 ·
Today is Feb 2, 2011. I just took my Escape in because a leak was found coming from the driver side during an oil change. My vehicle was diagnosed with the same thing you have. I was told they would be replacing the half shaft and a seal. I was also told that the parts should be in my tomorrow morning and the repairs completed by the end of the day tomorrow. I live just west of Philadelphia, PA. I'll keep you updated, but it sounds like there is a repair avaialble as I do not have to wait.

#9 ·
ddaniels said:
Today is Feb 2, 2011. I just took my Escape in because a leak was found coming from the driver side during an oil change. My vehicle was diagnosed with the same thing you have. I was told they would be replacing the half shaft and a seal. I was also told that the parts should be in my tomorrow morning and the repairs completed by the end of the day tomorrow. I live just west of Philadelphia, PA. I'll keep you updated, but it sounds like there is a repair avaialble as I do not have to wait.
Please do keep me updated. I was also told that the parts would be in within a day or two. It was only when they got a note from the parts truck when it did come in that they knew there was some sort of supply problem.

Is your vehicle a 2010?

#12 ·
They said that they would be replacing the half shaft and seal and gave me a rental from Enterprise.

Through my searches I found a PDF of a TSB report (TSB 10-05-10) which states that the seal fails due to the finish of the half shaft. This topic is covered is a few different posts here on this site. Here is the TSB report:

TSB 10-05-10
2009 Escape/ Mariner, 2010 Fusion/ Milan - 6F35 Transmission
Fluid Leak - Seal - Left Side Half Shaft
This article supersedes TSB 10-01-05 to update the part list.
Some 2009 Escape, Mariner, 2010 Fusion and Milan vehicles equipped
with a 6F35 automatic transmission may experience a fluid leak coming
from the left side half shaft seal. This may be due to seal and/ or bushing
wear caused by the half shaft surface finish.
Refer to TSB 10-05-10 and follow the service procedure to repair leaks at
the left side half shaft seal.

#15 ·
Found the actual method of repair from FORD in this TSB.....if you search for the file it contains actual photos of the half shaft

6F35 TRANSMISSION-FLUID LEAK-SEAL-LEFT TSB 10-21-11
SIDE HALF SHAFT
FORD: MERCURY:
2010 Fusion 2010 Milan
2009-2010 Escape 2009-2010 Mariner
This article supersedes TSB 10-9-4 to update the 2. Clamp the LH halfshaft in a soft-jawed vise.
model years covered, Service Procedure, Part List Use care not to damage the boot or component
and Service Labor Time Standards. damage may occur.
ISSUE 3. Remove and discard the one (1) large inboard
Some 2009-2010 Escape, Mariner and 2010 Fusion, CV boot clamp. (Figure 1)
Milan vehicles equipped with a 6F35 automatic
transmission may exhibit a fluid leak from the left
hand (LH) halfshaft seal. This may be due to seal
and/or bushing wear caused by the halfshaft
surface finish.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the
condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
A service kit is now available for Escape and
Mariner vehicles which has all the parts needed
including the inboard constant velocity (CV) joint
housing, and eliminates the need for halfshaft Figure 1 - Article 10-21-11
assembly replacement. There are additional parts in
the kit (halfshaft boot and small clamp) that are not 4. Remov still require replacement
of the halfshaft assembly.
2009-2010 Escape And Mariner
1. Replace the LH halfshaft seal. Refer to WSM,
Section 307-01. When the halfshaft seal is
removed, visually inspect the transaxle case
bushing for wear.
a. If bushing is visually worn, replace the
bushing in the transaxle case. Refer to
WSM, Section 307-01.
b. If bushing is not visually worn; clean the
area behind the halfshaft seal before Figure 2 - Article 10-21-11
installing the new seal.
5. Push the boot back and remove all the grease
from the boot.
e the inboard CV joint housing and
required for this repair. discard. (Figure 2)

#20 ·
My local dealer definitely lost some points in my book. I called on Wednesday, and mentioned the revised TSB. The service guy had the attitude of, "um yeah, thanks, but we know what we're doing." I was told that I would get a call back a few hours later, after he spoke with a supervisor. Fast forward to today (Friday), and I never did get that call.

I called again this morning, and spoke with the supervisor, and he was pretty much of the same mindset. He wouldn't even let me give him the number of the TSB ("we have to look it up on our own system", almost like he would die if he actually heard the number from anyone else), and they're insisting on replacing everything (halfshaft, bushing, oil seal), so I guess it's not a total loss for me.

I then asked him if he would comp me a bottle of tranny fluid, since my level is getting somewhat low. He sounded like I had asked him to donate a kidney. He comes back with "Well, if it's an issue of financial hardship, you'll have to take it up with Ford customer service. This isn't my personal warranty, you know." That pi$$ed me off, and I shot back with something like, "I know how a dealership works - I know that you're not personally guaranteeing my car against defects. For god's sake, it's just a $5 bottle of fluid - I thought maybe you could just do it as a way to show some empathy." He's not Ford customer service, but as a licensed Ford dealer, I don't think I'm wrong to assume that he should still provide customer service.

Anyways, apparently, the backorder is now in effect until May, which is 8 months after I originally noticed the problem. For such a stupid little issue, Ford is quickly losing the respect of one of their loyal customers.

#22 ·
slavrenz said:
Ford is quickly losing the respect of one of their loyal customers.
If you really think about it, it's not Ford that is the issue, as you know.
It's the parts supplier of the seal, and the crappy dealership.
I know it sounds dumb, but that's why whenever I buy a new car, I can't wait till the vehicle is out of warranty so I'm not at the mercy of a dealership and their unfriendly, unprofessional ways.

I wish you well in your quest to get this problem solved.

#23 ·
LX302 said:
slavrenz said:
Ford is quickly losing the respect of one of their loyal customers.
If you really think about it, it's not Ford that is the issue, as you know.
It's the parts supplier of the seal, and the crappy dealership.
I know it sounds dumb, but that's why whenever I buy a new car, I can't wait till the vehicle is out of warranty so I'm not at the mercy of a dealership and their unfriendly, unprofessional ways.

I wish you well in your quest to get this problem solved.
It is very much Ford's fault, just as it is this specific dealership. If these things are on an 8+ month backorder, then I have got to be one of thousands of customers facing this same issue. Since I haven't heard about Ford having to halt their Escape production, I have to assume that they still have a supply of halfshafts and oil seals on hand - why isn't some of this supply being diverted to existing vehicles?

#24 ·
At about 32K miles by '09 6F35 Escape has the left side half shaft oil leak. I took it to the dealer last week after it was leaking for less than 1 week. Dealer said parts backordered to mid April. Offered no other advise other than to keep an eye on the fluid level. I asked for a quart of transimission oil for free and they gave it to me.

I was really hoping my Escape wouldn't have this problem, but no such luck. I'm more worried about a persistant leak after the repair and the possibility for the right side to leak.

This is my first Ford since 1974 and it's probably going to be my last for a long time. My Escape needs warranty repairs on every oil change and in between changes as well. Although I still like the Escape, I have little confidence in its long term quality and I may sell it next year.

#25 ·
DaveJ said:
At about 32K miles by '09 6F35 Escape has the left side half shaft oil leak. I took it to the dealer last week after it was leaking for less than 1 week. Dealer said parts backordered to mid April. Offered no other advise other than to keep an eye on the fluid level. I asked for a quart of transimission oil for free and they gave it to me.
I was really hoping my Escape wouldn't have this problem, but no such luck. I'm more worried about a persistant leak after the repair and the possibility for the right side to leak.

This is my first Ford since 1974 and it's probably going to be my last for a long time. My Escape needs warranty repairs on every oil change and in between changes as well. Although I still like the Escape, I have little confidence in its long term quality and I may sell it next year.
That's what I was trying to do with my dealer - you'd think it would be natural for a dealership to do something small like this to appease an upset customer, right? My dealership apparently thought that I asked for a bottle of fluid because I couldn't afford it, and because I thought that their specific shop was warrantying my vehicle (I didn't even buy the Escape from them). Very frustrating :mad:

#26 ·
How much marketing ingenuity does it take for a company to issue a notification to all its dealers about a quart, I repeat,A QUART of freebie oil to each customer faced with this frustration?
Amazing incompetence, as far as I am concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.