AdvanceTrac System

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

AdvanceTrac System

Postby bigdaddybacon - January 29th, 2011, 6:16 pm

My 2010 Escape AWD seems quick to activate the traction control system. The smallest slip (even a strong gust of wind) will cause the "sliding car" warning light to illuminate. The ABS light also comes on. Both waring lights will stay on for quite a while, sometimes even after turning the engine off and restarting. Three questions;

1. Should this system be that sensitive?
2. Is it normal for the ABS light to come on with the "sliding car" light
3. How long should the warning lights remain on once the system is engaged?
bigdaddybacon

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: AdvanceTrac System

Postby tang - January 29th, 2011, 6:27 pm

We've had some crazy wind here in MN in the last year, but AdvanceTrac definitely does not kick in with the wind in my 2009. I wonder if it's something to do with trailer sway control (if you have the factory trailer hitch package). The AdvanceTrac light flashes about 2-3 seconds after it has done its work before going off. As for the ABS light coming on... that seems a little odd to say the least.
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Postby Domain - January 29th, 2011, 6:34 pm

My TC comes into play more than the stability portion. (I've only gotten the system to activate once with traction control off; the only times otherwise I've seen the light come on is when the car gets muddled down into the snow - TC off, no problem)

The ABS light has NEVER activated during operation on either our 2010 or 2011. If the system is activating that much, and that light (ABS) comes on, I'm wondering if there's a speed sensor freaking out. But that's just a random, SWAG (simple-wild-ass-guess) theory. (I'm not a mechanic, I just play one with a ScanGauge.)

TCS light should stop flashing immediately after operation. If the light remains on and solid, the system is off.
Domain

Current: 2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

Prior Fleet:
2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD (now in Ohio)
2008 Ford Fusion SE AWD (now in Pennsylvania)
2011 Ford Escape XLT AWD (sold, hopefully to a good home.)
2013 Ford Taurus SEL FWD (sold, hopefully to a good home as well.)

30 NY Counties - 3 States/Provinces - 2 Countries - 1 Escape

Need to pull more than just OBD Data? See this thread.
Domain
First poster on E-C's THIRD new server

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
My vehicle's name: The Bull

Postby wptski - January 29th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Domain wrote:My TC comes into play more than the stability portion. (I've only gotten the system to activate once with traction control off; the only times otherwise I've seen the light come on is when the car gets muddled down into the snow - TC off, no problem)

The ABS light has NEVER activated during operation on either our 2010 or 2011. If the system is activating that much, and that light (ABS) comes on, I'm wondering if there's a speed sensor freaking out. But that's just a random, SWAG (simple-wild-ass-guess) theory. (I'm not a mechanic, I just play one with a ScanGauge.)

TCS light should stop flashing immediately after operation. If the light remains on and solid, the system is off.

How do you know that your TC comes into play more than stability control seeing that there is only one dash icon?
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: '09 Ford Escape Limited, 4WD

Postby Domain - January 29th, 2011, 8:50 pm

There's a couple of spots and situations where the car always trips a driver aid, be it the TCS, the AdvanceTrac, or the RSC. Every time I stumble through these areas with TC on, it activates. When it's off, the Escape just slogs through and ignores the excess wheel spin.
Domain

Prior Fleet:

Domain

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby wptski - January 29th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Domain wrote:There's a couple of spots and situations where the car always trips a driver aid, be it the TCS, the AdvanceTrac, or the RSC. Every time I stumble through these areas with TC on, it activates. When it's off, the Escape just slogs through and ignores the excess wheel spin.

TC and AdvanceTrac with RSC plus Trailer Anti-Sway are all fuctions of the ABS but only the TC has a dash indicator to let the driver know when it activates. The others have no indicator and if they are activated your going to be way too busy trying to control your vehicle to notice anything.
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby Domain - January 30th, 2011, 12:18 am

wptski wrote:
Domain wrote:There's a couple of spots and situations where the car always trips a driver aid, be it the TCS, the AdvanceTrac, or the RSC. Every time I stumble through these areas with TC on, it activates. When it's off, the Escape just slogs through and ignores the excess wheel spin.

TC and AdvanceTrac with RSC plus Trailer Anti-Sway are all fuctions of the ABS but only the TC has a dash indicator to let the driver know when it activates. The others have no indicator and if they are activated your going to be way too busy trying to control your vehicle to notice anything.

Not so on my vehicle. The 2011 has a telltale for both TCS off and for when the TCS/other driver aids activate. I have seen both telltales concurrently lit - TCS OFF turned on as well as the TCS/other aids light flashing during an adverse maneuver.
Domain

Prior Fleet:

Domain

E-C LEVEL 6

Postby tang - January 30th, 2011, 1:05 am

Seems like there are some differences in the dashboard display/communication with the 2009-to-2010 passing.

Note: 2009s don't have TSC... Trailer Sway Control.
tang
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 16
My vehicle: 09 ESC XLT 4WD V6

Postby oskerb - January 30th, 2011, 3:27 am

1. NO, not as you describe it. Wheel slip with a little chirp shouldnt turn the system on. (less than 1/4-1/2 wheel revolution)
2. The ABS light will only come on if you are using your brakes in the extreme condition of ABS nature. (i.e. slamming the breaks)
3. The lights will remain on momentarily after the incidnet has occurred, if light is on this means that either TCS/RSC/ESC/BCT turned off. If light remain on there is a problem with the system.

Some Answer: Have you tried pushing the Advanced Trac button to see if that fixes it?Try examining the tone ring on every wheel which is located behind the disc brake. Looks like a a thin gear. You can search the forum for a pic and possible how to do. If not the dealership

Quick info,
Advanced Trac is all of these:
TSC= Traction Control System; RSC= Roll Stablilty Control; ESC= Electronic Stablilty Control; ETC= Engine Traction Control BTC= Brake Traction Control

The only one that you can tell is evident of "working" is the ETC that works with the brakes and engine power

bigdaddybacon wrote:My 2010 Escape AWD seems quick to activate the traction control system. The smallest slip (even a strong gust of wind) will cause the "sliding car" warning light to illuminate. The ABS light also comes on. Both waring lights will stay on for quite a while, sometimes even after turning the engine off and restarting. Three questions;

1. Should this system be that sensitive?
2. Is it normal for the ABS light to come on with the "sliding car" light
3. How long should the warning lights remain on once the system is engaged?
Last edited by oskerb on January 30th, 2011, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSKER'S 2008 ESCAPE XLT AWD
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3329314
ImageImageImage
2008 ESCAPE XLT AWD 3.0L V6
-Weapon-R Secrect Weapon Air Intake System
-SCT XCAL3 w/ 3 CUSTOM TUNES
-2.25" Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
- 1.25" Front End Leveling Springs
-MAX Rotors Zinced Drilled Rotors
-JVC KW-AVX810 Detachable Face DVD Reciever
-6x8" Infinity Kappa 682.9cf in all doors
-10" Infinity Perfect 10 Subwoofer
-Cheap 300 watt amp (I'll buy a new one when this one burn's out)
-Nitto Terra Grapplers 255/55/r18
-18" Liquid Metal Rims
-Weather Tech Digi Fit Floor Mats
-AVS window vent's
-Custom Painted Interior Center Console and Window switches
oskerb

E-C LEVEL 7
My nickname: OSKER
My vehicle: 2008 FORD ESCAPE XLT AWD

Postby wptski - January 30th, 2011, 8:32 am

Tang wrote:Seems like there are some differences in the dashboard display/communication with the 2009-to-2010 passing.

Note: 2009s don't have TSC... Trailer Sway Control.

There could be a difference between the '09 and '11. I'll be looking at what the owners manual and WorkShop manuals states.

The '09 does have TSC but "only" if you have the OEM trailer package from the factory. There's nothing in the WorkShop manual about activating it later, say if you add a trailer hitch yourself.
Bill

wptski

E-C LEVEL 6

Next

Return to Problems And Solutions