brake pedal problem

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

brake pedal problem

Postby sundance - March 26th, 2011, 10:24 am

When I apply the brakes on our 2004 Escape, the pedal pulsates or "bounces"when it nears the end of it's travel. There is also a noise that occurs at the same time. Put new front brake pads on and checked for any mechanical interferences. I thought it might be due to the ABS system so I tried to disable it by removing the ABS fuse. Found out that I could not get shift lever out of park since fuse is also for shift solenoid. Car has 111,000 miles. Our 2008 also started to have same problem right before we trared it in on a 2011. It had about 40,000 miles. Any thoughts on problem and/or another way to disable ABS?

Sundance
sundance

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: brake pedal problem

Postby Squishy - March 26th, 2011, 10:46 am

Is there a grinding noise as the brake pedal pulsates and are the pulsations very quick (more than 30 times a second)? If the pulsations are slower, closer to 2-3 times a second, you are likely feeling a "warped" brake disc.

If it is an ABS issue, take a look at the wheel sensor tone rings. Close to the hub, you will see a ring that looks like a square-tooth gear, but it is not driving anything. That's the tone ring and they are prone to crack, especially if you have cold winters. Some people, myself included, have had success in repairing cracked rings with some JB Weld. I think the full repair involved replacing the driveshaft as the ring is pressed on.

If you are just feeling a warped brake disc, try using a wire wheel to scuff up the disc surface and then do a burnishing process on your brake pads. This involves finding a deserted stretch of road and braking from 30 MPH to 5 MPH ten times, followed by a half mile cooldown drive, followed by braking from 50 MPH to 5 MPH five times. Braking should be firm and constant in pressure, but not as hard as in emergency braking. This will deposit an even layer of friction material around the disc. Most "warped" discs are not warped due to the metal deforming, but rather from uneven deposits of friction material on the disc surface.
The goggles, they do nothing!

The Garage:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Squishy
Basket Case

E-C LEVEL 13
My nickname: Bev
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape V6 4x2
My vehicle's name: The Aarghvark

Postby SUVord - March 26th, 2011, 11:25 am

I'll agree with canada panda on everything he recomends but I'm sort of confused about what you said with the ABS fuse.
There are two of them on the 2004 Escape and none have anything to do with shifting the gears.
Afterall, there are more than one shifting solenoids, and none of them is fuse related.
You probably mean the fuse for the brake interlock relay and not the ABS fuses which are both located in the battery central box.
If you have the owner's manual booklet look for the ABS fuses and not the brake fuses.
Be cool-Be nice-LEEDS UNITED
SUVord
First poster on E-C's new server

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: Jacindo
My vehicle: Ford Maverick 3l XLT
My vehicle's name: Argos

Postby sundance - March 26th, 2011, 7:39 pm

SUVord wrote:I'll agree with canada panda on everything he recomends but I'm sort of confused about what you said with the ABS fuse.
There are two of them on the 2004 Escape and none have anything to do with shifting the gears.
Afterall, there are more than one shifting solenoids, and none of them is fuse related.
You probably mean the fuse for the brake interlock relay and not the ABS fuses which are both located in the battery central box.
If you have the owner's manual booklet look for the ABS fuses and not the brake fuses.

The manual shows fuse no. 24 is for the ABS, shift solenoid and a few other things as well . I was in park when I removed it and then started the engine. I was unable to shift into reverse or park. Reinstalling the fuse with engine off and then restarting, I was able to perform normal shifting.
sundance

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby sundance - March 26th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Canada Panda wrote:Is there a grinding noise as the brake pedal pulsates and are the pulsations very quick (more than 30 times a second)? If the pulsations are slower, closer to 2-3 times a second, you are likely feeling a "warped" brake disc.

If it is an ABS issue, take a look at the wheel sensor tone rings. Close to the hub, you will see a ring that looks like a square-tooth gear, but it is not driving anything. That's the tone ring and they are prone to crack, especially if you have cold winters. Some people, myself included, have had success in repairing cracked rings with some JB Weld. I think the full repair involved replacing the driveshaft as the ring is pressed on.

If you are just feeling a warped brake disc, try using a wire wheel to scuff up the disc surface and then do a burnishing process on your brake pads. This involves finding a deserted stretch of road and braking from 30 MPH to 5 MPH ten times, followed by a half mile cooldown drive, followed by braking from 50 MPH to 5 MPH five times. Braking should be firm and constant in pressure, but not as hard as in emergency braking. This will deposit an even layer of friction material around the disc. Most "warped" discs are not warped due to the metal deforming, but rather from uneven deposits of friction material on the disc surface.

reply; No grinding noise,more like a clicking noise. Pulsations are more like 2-3 @sec. I did not have discs reground when I changed the pads. They were done before and I did not want to chance removing too much mat'l. There was a small wear step from the old pads which I removed before putting new pads on.

I will try your rapid stop procedure as soon as I get a chance. Will let you know results. Might have to re-grind /or replace discs in the end.
sundance

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby SUVord - March 27th, 2011, 7:53 am

sundance wrote:
SUVord wrote:I'll agree with canada panda on everything he recomends but I'm sort of confused about what you said with the ABS fuse.

The manual shows fuse no. 24 is for the ABS, shift solenoid and a few other things as well . I was in park when I removed it and then started the engine. I was unable to shift into reverse or park. Reinstalling the fuse with engine off and then restarting, I was able to perform normal shifting.

Ok, I understand now where the confusion is.
The fuse you are mentioning, #24, in the central junction box next to the drivers left leg is not controlling the ABS operation but it is strictly related to the applied pressure of the brake pedal which operate the brake lights, energizes the ABS system, but does not command it, and the solenoid mentioned is related to the interlock system.True, with that fuse out, no operation of the gear shift lever.
The ABS operation fuses are located in the Battery junction box.
Be cool-Be nice-LEEDS UNITED
SUVord
First poster on E-C's new server

E-C LEVEL 10
My nickname: Jacindo
My vehicle: Ford Maverick 3l XLT
My vehicle's name: Argos

Postby sundance - April 2nd, 2011, 8:35 am

Thanks for that tip on the location of the abs fuse. Our grandson currently has the car. When he goes back to school, I'll try the hard brake suggestion and check brakes out with abs disabled.
sundance

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Problems And Solutions