Flooded interior, wet carpet, rain leaking in?

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Flooded interior, wet carpet, rain leaking in?

Postby iwishitdidntleak - May 25th, 2011, 11:33 am

I have a 08 Escape with the aforementioned problem. The passenger side carpet was soaked. When I pressed my hand into it the water covered my fingers. I removed the carpet and found a square plug in the front passenger foot well. The blue sealant had failed and the plug was loose. I sealed it with silicone and sprayed the undercarriage with the high pressure wand at the car wash. No water was coming in so reinstalled the carpet. Pleased with my sense of accomplishment, I went along with life, merry and content...for a month. I then noticed the carpet was wet again, just as saturated as it had been before. I reremoved the carpet and drove the truck around for a month or so. I cannot see any water actively leak into the interior. One day, after it had been raining moderately for a few hours and the truck had not been driven that day, I noticed an inch of standing water in the passenger foot well. The puddle was in the outer front area and about 6 inches in diameter. A day or two later the puddle was gone. I could not see where it went but I am pretty sure it had to drain out as I don't think that much water could evaporate that fast when the ambient temperature was around 6o Degrees F. This situation baffles me and I would like to fix it myself. If anyone has any ideas of where to start troubleshooting please let me know, I will greatly appreciate it.
iwishitdidntleak

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Flooded interior, wet carpet, rain leaking in?

Postby ScubaBrett22 - May 25th, 2011, 2:25 pm

*s**** wrote:I have a 08 Escape with the aforementioned problem. The passenger side carpet was soaked. When I pressed my hand into it the water covered my fingers. I removed the carpet and found a square plug in the front passenger foot well. The blue sealant had failed and the plug was loose. I sealed it with silicone and sprayed the undercarriage with the high pressure wand at the car wash. No water was coming in so reinstalled the carpet. Pleased with my sense of accomplishment, I went along with life, merry and content...for a month. I then noticed the carpet was wet again, just as saturated as it had been before. I reremoved the carpet and drove the truck around for a month or so. I cannot see any water actively leak into the interior. One day, after it had been raining moderately for a few hours and the truck had not been driven that day, I noticed an inch of standing water in the passenger foot well. The puddle was in the outer front area and about 6 inches in diameter. A day or two later the puddle was gone. I could not see where it went but I am pretty sure it had to drain out as I don't think that much water could evaporate that fast when the ambient temperature was around 6o Degrees F. This situation baffles me and I would like to fix it myself. If anyone has any ideas of where to start troubleshooting please let me know, I will greatly appreciate it.

I would check your sunroof, there are ports to allow water to exit and they could be clogged and causing the leak that is just my guess cause I have stumbled on posts like this on the forum, to check if its the sun roof ports just open the sunroof and look around the sides and you will see square holes which are the water ducts to move water/ remove the water from that area.

EDIT** Hopefully some one can give you some more advice on this topic and or will chime in.. **

ScubaBrett22
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 7
My nickname: ScubaBrett
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Limited FWD
My vehicle's name: Esca-pa-da & RaveQon.1

Postby jarheadoo7 - May 25th, 2011, 2:31 pm

does the water have a sweet odor? (if it does it could be your heater core puking into the cabin)

your a/c condenser discharge line might be disconnected allowing the a/c to sweat in the cabin rather then outside..

just suggestions
jarheadoo7

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby Four_Eyes - May 25th, 2011, 2:49 pm

If you think it could be coming from outside the vehicle, sit inside it....comfortably so you can move around easily...and have someone with a garden hose "rain" on it. Keep watering the whole vehicle, not just one spot. You might have to do it for several minutes while you're inside moving around looking for traces of water coming into the passenger cabin......just my 2 cents.
Four_Eyes

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2005 Escape XLT V6 4x4
My vehicle's name: Escape!....what else?!

Postby ScubaBrett22 - May 26th, 2011, 10:16 am

Four_Eyes wrote:If you think it could be coming from outside the vehicle, sit inside it....comfortably so you can move around easily...and have someone with a garden hose "rain" on it. Keep watering the whole vehicle, not just one spot. You might have to do it for several minutes while you're inside moving around looking for traces of water coming into the passenger cabin......just my 2 cents.

+1 I Agree with Four_Eyes, try to put some pressure on the seals around the door openings/ windows not a lot but a good amount to see what happens also try and spray some water at the bottom of the car to see if there could be anything on the floor.

ScubaBrett22
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 7
My nickname: ScubaBrett
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Limited FWD
My vehicle's name: Esca-pa-da & RaveQon.1

Postby iwishitdidntleak - May 27th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Thank you all for your sugestions.
I don't have a sun roof.
The odor was not sweet nor was the carpet green.
I didn't consider the A/C condinsation, I will look into that.
I will try the hose and see what happens.
Some times after a rain when I open the passenger front door a bunch of water leaks out. I would estimate 8 to 10 ounces. Does anyone else notice this? It may be normal or it may contribute to my problem, I'm not sure yet. I only noticed it on the one door, so I was thinking a drain hole may be pluged. I'll let you know what I find, thanks again for the suggestions.
iwishitdidntleak

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jarheadoo7 - May 27th, 2011, 5:13 pm

its been raining here for like 12 days.. we are over 4 inches of normal rainfall I can assure you when i open the passenger door no rain leaks out... this may be your first clue!
jarheadoo7

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby tonycastec - May 29th, 2011, 11:54 pm

I have the same problem .Mine is a 2005 V6. I suspect that it may be entering via a displaced grommet around the radio antenna. That is a pain to check.
There is a huge drain at the bottom of the cabin filter should be.Make sure that is clear.It is tedious to do because you have to remove so many fiddly bits.
In desperation I cut the carpet to enable me to completely remove it on the passengers side. I was unable to remove all of it where it goes up the firewall behind the a/c evaporator. Guess where it still gets wet !Yup that piece of carpet that is wedged between the firewall and the evaporator is where the wet seeps in. I have yet to identify the exact source of the leak because even if you direct a hose over the windshield an lay on your back in the passengers footwell - you can't see where the water enters.
Let me know what you find - hey at least I got you started!
tonycastec

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!

Return to Problems And Solutions