2004 Escape idle problem

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

2004 Escape idle problem

Postby seth11 - June 1st, 2011, 2:13 pm

I changed the spark plugs on my fiance's escape on Monday. The next day the escape started to idle really rough. It is fine once you start driving. On her way home from work the check engine light came out. I took to advance to have the codes read. They said it was both the front and rear 02 sensors and that it was running too rich. They also said it was not normal for both 02 sensors to go bad at the same time and that it was probably bad gas. I filled the escape up with premium but it did not help.

I would really be shock if both 02 sensors went bad at the same time. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?
seth11

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: 2004 Escape idle problem

Postby Four_Eyes - June 1st, 2011, 3:41 pm

Could be the spark plugs. What brand did you use? For spark plugs, I usually stick with OEM.

Come on you guys....we gotta help on this one. Don't want his fiance to get mad at him....kidding!!
Four_Eyes

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2005 Escape XLT V6 4x4
My vehicle's name: Escape!....what else?!

Postby martin-csr - June 1st, 2011, 4:15 pm

seth11 wrote:.... I filled the escape up with premium but it did not help. ....

Why?

Is it a V6? How many miles are on the vehicle? Rough idle could be the IAC.
martin-csr

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2002 Escape XLS 2.0L 5MT

Postby seth11 - June 1st, 2011, 7:33 pm

Four_Eyes wrote:Could be the spark plugs. What brand did you use? For spark plugs, I usually stick with OEM.

Come on you guys....we gotta help on this one. Don't want his fiance to get mad at him....kidding!!

Ha... I did use oem plugs. If it was the plugs would it throw a code saying 2 o2 sensors were bad?
seth11

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby seth11 - June 1st, 2011, 7:33 pm

martin-csr wrote:
seth11 wrote:.... I filled the escape up with premium but it did not help. ....

Why?

Is it a V6? How many miles are on the vehicle? Rough idle could be the IAC.

Incase it was bad fuel... It is a v6 with 91000 miles. I thought of the IAC, but would that throw a code saying 2 bad 02 sensors?
seth11

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby seth11 - June 1st, 2011, 10:16 pm

I noticed the vapor hose was lose. I reattached it and it seems to be running a lot better. I'll have to wait and see if the problem comes back tomorrow once she drives it to work. :rant:
seth11

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby tomw - June 2nd, 2011, 4:41 pm

I was thinking that you had nudged something when you did the R&R of the intake manifold. It is easy to knock a vacuum line loose if it is not seated tightly. The O2's just sense if there is extra Oxygen in the exhaust gas flowing by. If the O2 has been consumed burning the fuel, there will be no extra. If there is 'absolutely' no O2's floating by, the system sez, "Hey, there should be at least SOME... so it must be a rich mix, and we actually have an excess of fuel because it used up all the O's." It presents a voltage approaching 1v when it is "rich". When lean, it finds extra O2 molecules floating by, so there was not enought fuel to consume them... and produces a voltage near .1 {i think..}. My mnemonic that got it established in my brain[such as it is..] is "low... Lean" low voltage means a lean mix. It is just used to 'trim' the mixture, and has limitations. Lecture over.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Return to Problems And Solutions