Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

4 Wheel Drive Not Engaging

17K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  RacingJake 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!

I apologize if this has been covered (I searched but couldn't find anything) but it seems as though my 05' Ford Escape XLT is not engaging 4-wheel drive. I live in New England, and we have been hit with 2 big storms recently, both of which I've driven in. So I've slid around (sometimes intentionally to see if it would do anything) and it never engages, so it seems as though its broken.

I've read some places that this could be the transfer case, but has anyone come around about this problem and if so, did you have to take it to Ford (if it is very specialized) or can my standard mechanic work on it you think? How much am I looking at? I'd like to have it since this is New England, but I don't want to drop a lot of money in something that could easily break again.

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
I have an '05 as well and the 4wd is always engaged (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The 4x4 light on the dash will only go on if the transfer case is overheating. Which makes me wonder how one would tell if it is working or not, I'm sure a quick trip to the dealer would explain that. If you're looking for a switch to flip or a light to come on to let you know it is engaged you're not going to find that. If you check in your owners manual it will explain how the 4wd in our model yr works.

#3 ·
0Escape5 said:
mrmartin86 said:
Hey Guys!

I apologize if this has been covered (I searched but couldn't find anything) but it seems as though my 05' Ford Escape XLT is not engaging 4-wheel drive. I live in New England, and we have been hit with 2 big storms recently, both of which I've driven in. So I've slid around (sometimes intentionally to see if it would do anything) and it never engages, so it seems as though its broken.

I've read some places that this could be the transfer case, but has anyone come around about this problem and if so, did you have to take it to Ford (if it is very specialized) or can my standard mechanic work on it you think? How much am I looking at? I'd like to have it since this is New England, but I don't want to drop a lot of money in something that could easily break again.

Thanks for any help!
I have an '05 as well and the 4wd is always engaged (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The 4x4 light on the dash will only go on if the transfer case is overheating. Which makes me wonder how one would tell if it is working or not, I'm sure a quick trip to the dealer would explain that. If you're looking for a switch to flip or a light to come on to let you know it is engaged you're not going to find that. If you check in your owners manual it will explain how the 4wd in our model yr works.
Also check out this thread, there's a post explaining how the software/hardware on the '05 and newer 4WD Escapes work.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7819

#6 ·
You can test it by driving through some snow while making a turn hit the gas hard to see if it fish tails. You should do this in a empty parking lot. If it fishtails a little it's probably working. You could also bring a friend and have he or she watch while you take off from a dead stop on snow or ice. If all four tires spinout it is working. if only the front tires spin out then its not working. If its not working it could just be the fuse.

#7 ·
You could also tilt your side-view mirrors down and direct them toward your rear wheels and watch them when you accelerate. You'll still need a snowy and empty parking lot, but you won't need a friend :)

#11 ·
Billyk said:
Old photos and old values. New values at 50%.
The '05s 4WD system appears to be slightly different than current models, it actually has a 4WD dash icon that functions as a fault indicator. Later model Escape/Fusion which use the same exact system don't ever show anything higher than around 35% max no matter what you do.

#12 ·
Depending on the surface, the car wiil eventually slide even with the 4x4 engaged or in auto.
Easy to verify whether the system works or not.
Park all four wheels on top of some cartons.Put the car in gear and while applying the brakes let the revs go to 2000.Release the brakes and move a few yards forward.If the carton peices at the rear wheels have blown away your 4X4 is working fine.

As BillyK mentioned, an instrument like Scanguage is really helpful for many readings and helps you sense what is really happenning in all sorts of different situations.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I haven't bought a scangauge, so that is out. Yeah, I did go to a empty parking lot and was able to fishtail, although now I'm curious with the suggestion to start from a dead stop and have a friend watch the tires (or use the mirrors). I didn't know the dash icon was for fault, I thought it showed on during use.

I guess my concern is normally when you're using 4x4, you know it, you can feel it. But I've never noticed any noticeable difference, especially from a dead stop turn on snow (which will cause me to slid a bit, which I've always been able to manage in a car, so its hard to tell if it is me or the tires). I like the idea of the cartons. U mean like stop of cardboard, and then see if slide out? That's kind of brilliant actually.

#14 ·
How are you guys getting the ScanGauge to display that setting? I've got an '11.

#16 ·
wptski said:
Domain said:
How are you guys getting the ScanGauge to display that setting? I've got an '11.
It's not a hardwired guage reading, proper values have to be entered manually as a Xguage.
Share it! I've been looking for things to program in as an XGauge.

#17 ·
Domain said:
wptski said:
Domain said:
It's not a hardwired guage reading, proper values have to be entered manually as a Xguage.
Share it! I've been looking for things to program in as an XGauge.
txd: 076122D128
rxf: 046285D19628
rxd: 3008
mth: 006400330000
Nam: 4WD

Don't thank me for the values. They were the work of another known as DesertDog and/or CarlD in other forums. He is resposible for getting the Xguage feature added to the Scanguage and those PDF listed at their site.

#18 ·
What ever you are watching on the scangauge, be aware that there is a 2 seconds, at least, delay for what you are seeing in the instrument.
Example:You start from stop easy and smoothly.If you have programmed the indtrument to show you 4 wheel engagement it will show you exactly that as you start moving.WRONG!!!
Due to the instrument's time lag you think you start off with 4X4 but actually you don't.That happens because the system is programmed so that every time you come at a stop the 4X4 gets engaged, at least in the pre 2005 Escapes.
The only fool-proof way to verify 4X4 engagement is to improvise a method and have an assistant watching the rear wheels.
It all happens because when the vehicle is at stop its electronics can not sense whether you are stopped over a firm or a slippery surface.

#19 ·
SUVord said:
What ever you are watching on the scangauge, be aware that there is a 2 seconds, at least, delay for what you are seeing in the instrument.
Example:You start from stop easy and smoothly.If you have programmed the indtrument to show you 4 wheel engagement it will show you exactly that as you start moving.WRONG!!!
Due to the instrument's time lag you think you start off with 4X4 but actually you don't.That happens because the system is programmed so that every time you come at a stop the 4X4 gets engaged, at least in the pre 2005 Escapes.
The only fool-proof way to verify 4X4 engagement is to improvise a method and have an assistant watching the rear wheels.
It all happens because when the vehicle is at stop its electronics can not sense whether you are stopped over a firm or a slippery surface.
When I first started my interest in the 4WD operation, I first got the manuals which told me nothing. I located the 4WD module in the console and used a scope to look at the module's pulsed output to the rear ATC unit plus a current probe/DMM to measure the draw from the ATC unit. It's never engaged 100%, it's duty cycled. In fact, at 100%, you'd have steering problems and this is a actual function test from the manual where they command 100% and it resists turning, it's working properly. The currently used 4WD system when you stop, you have zero rear wheel torque which was shown on the scope and the SG-II. I actually modified my SG-II settings slightly from the values mentioned above to match my two scopes used. The SG-II is reading the same PID as the dealer's IDS would.

The earlier Escape's were even a hydraulic operated clutch system but I'm not sure when they went to the currently used electro/mechanical system.

#20 ·
Thank wptski for the input.
I still have a question for you.Do you sense any time lag in the scangauge readings?
I'm asking because in my 2004 Maverick I do have a couple of seconds of delay.
The same delay was there when my scangauge was put on a friend's 2006 Maverick here in Greece.
Thank you again, :beer:

#21 ·
SUVord said:
Thank wptski for the input.
I still have a question for you.Do you sense any time lag in the scangauge readings?
I'm asking because in my 2004 Maverick I do have a couple of seconds of delay.
The same delay was there when my scangauge was put on a friend's 2006 Maverick here in Greece.
Thank you again, :beer:
There is a very slight delay in response time which I blame on the DBW(drive by wire) but I and others had noticed a larger delay in throttle response which caused a so-called lurch. The delay(lurch) was felt when trying to accelerate from a dead stop was eliminated with the 10B15 recall for me.

All that scoping, etc. was done in the summer of '09 long before the 10B15 was performed.

If you think there is a delay in response, look at the claim(s) of reponse time for sensing wheel spin to activate 4WD and ABS.

I might add that I'm not a firm believer that the 4WD system works as they say it does. I've never seen increased torque even when I floored it hard on packed snow nor did I seen increased torque when I floored it on dry pavement. Both are claims for the system's operation.

I did see a few percent at a constant speed while changing lanes on a snow tracked road.

#23 ·
SUVord said:
Thank you again!
I totally agree with you depending on what I have noticed in true driving conditions.
Again, my sense and understanding is in total agreement with yours.
Thank you once more for your reply, :beer:
Here's one of my captures from that time in '09. It shows 24% which is easily calculated becasue it runs at 1kH or 1ms per period/cycle/hertz. If you look at the dX value(far right) or the difference between the two cursors, it's .24ms of ON time, so .24/1=.24 or 24%. The scope screen measurement can be set to show the duty cycle but this the actual signal it calculates from. The date/time are incorrect as this happens when the battery goes dead.

I had my console apart for two months! :cuss:

#25 ·
megascape said:
does anybody know if the ABS is not working will it stop the 4wheel drive from working on an 08?
The manual states that the ABS system can take control of the 4WD system under certain driving conditions but doesn't explain what those driving conditions are, so it sounds like it could. It depends on wether or not wheel speed sensors output goes through the ABS module first if there is one.

"Supposedly" if your have front wheel slippage, rear wheel torque is increased but if you had side differences in wheel speed that would involve the ABS system as well.

#26 ·
I would think it all depends as to what is causing the ABS not to work.
I can not be certain for newer Escapes but this is what's happenning with my 2004.
For all off-road events I deactivate the ABS by unplugging the fuse.The result is no ABS but the auto 4X4 engagement works fine.
Now, if the ABS is not working because of a tear on the wheel sensor cable or problem with the sensor itself, then there is no auto 4X4 egagement but only manually set with the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.