Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

02 front end noise

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  simp6216 
#1 ·
Hello to all,
New member here with a problem on my girlfriends 2002 ford escape FWD 92000 miles that she bought new.
Front end (creaking) noise only while turning right that is getting louder as time goes by.
Noise is made only when turning right with engine running or not, with car moving or not.
I can't seem to locate this noise. It seems to be coming from front right.

What I have done so far:
Balljoints and outer tie rod ends have no movement
Sway bar links have no movement
Sprayed (lubed) various chassis parts (noise continued)
Lubed gasket where steering column goes thru fire wall
Checked for loose chassis parts
Noise is quieter while on jack stands (no weight on front end)
I even slit the boots on the tie rods to get some lube inside

My thought is to start throwing parts at this problem since everything is original.
Monroe quick struts
2 New outer tie rod ends
Sway bar links
Then alignment

Help any other ideas :? thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi! and Welcome!!
I have a high mile 01 Escape. When I bought it, it had had some noises in the front end. I had a rattle noise in the front end which happened to be worn sway links. And I had a slight creaking sound that went away after replacing the struts (may have been the strut bearings). My guess would be your creaking sound is caused by the struts as well. Just be sure its a creaking sound and not a light crunching sound...because when my wheel bearing went bad it made some sounds when turning! hope this helps!

PS You probably think I drive a lemon but I don't ;) My Escape had 200,000+ miles on it and it was ready for some front end work since everything was original...and now drives like new again! :yahoo:

#4 ·
My thoughts are also the struts,have u tried pushing it up and down on front of escape to see how struts are reacting,leaking?..if not that and since u have down almost everyhting else maybe it could be lower control arm bushings.. :? creaking noises usually equate to suspension problems, So check all bushings and joints.. :peace:

#5 ·
I ruled out wheel bearings simply because the noise happens even if the car isn't moving. The struts seem to react fine with the bounce test. Since this noise has been going on for several weeks, I dropped it off at the local Sears auto center which is 2 blocks from home. They said that they would do a free check and give me an estimate. Right outer tie rod end is bad along with alignment and labor $222. I'll fix myself tomorrorw or Wednesday and let you know. Thanks for all your replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.