Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Power Steering Stops Working 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  dawey1 
#1 ·
How is this problem. You are driving along and all of a sudden your power steering stops working on your 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid? Pull over to the side of the road and shut off engine. Turn it back on and the problem goes away. You never know when it will shut down (not fun and dangerous if your are trying to turn when it happpens.)
This problem along with my STOP SAFELY NOW engine problem makes me want to admit I have a lemon on my hands.

#5 ·
Not sure about the power steering, but could be related to this. There is a TSB out for a computer update to address the stop safely now. Take note of the TSB, call your dealer, explain in detail what problems you are having, what the vehicle displays, etc. and see what they can do to help you. Info on the TSB is located here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1227

#6 ·
Do you have a code reader? If not, go to an autoparts store and see they can read the code(s) for you. Move from that point forward.

Does the power steering stop working when the vehicle shuts down or does the vehicle keep operating? I wonder if the MECS pump is failing and causing these issues.

#7 ·
The power steering problem happens randomly while the rest of the hybrid is working fine. turning off the hybrid and turning it back on resolves the problem. Thanks for your suggestion. The other issue of the STOP SAFELY NOW problem is much worse (dangerous) thanks for TSB on that one. Bringing it in tomorrow to be looked at. One good piece of news is because of the forum I found the cabin filter and rear high voltage filter Motorcraft on-line cheap. Thanks to forum for pointing out this as I saved 50%!

#9 ·
So I have read the above post and I too am getting the same problems with the power steering quitting mid drive. It's now happening within two minutes of start. Was there a solution found that I missed or is the answer to take it to the shop and surrender to the mercy of the mechanics?

#10 ·
Hello all.
I'm having an intermittent electric power assisted steering (EPAS) failure on my 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid.
Sometimes it's during a left hand turn... Kinda scary if your not gripping the steering wheel tightly. :cuss:

Anywho, I know there has been advice stating that the whole steering assembly needs to be replaced. costing ~$1500
Is there a write up on how to test the EPAS systems/assembly?
How have others dealt with the issue aside from taking the truck to the stealership...

Oh, I forgot to mention... I've pulled codes with a scanner and using the ignition and odometer button method...= both resulted in no stored codes.
If I cycle the ignition on off it usually resolves the problem... Usually....

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.