Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Outside temp.

27K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  wptski 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

I didnt know where to post this. but ill just ask away.

I have a 2011.
On the Radio display, that display center, I notice the other day in the sunlight, it can also tell me what the outside temp is. How do i turn it on??

Hope i said this right.

#3 ·
Unfortunately, if you don't see if while the engine is running, you're without the software and maybe the sensor. Some people have seen the wiring for it and have bought the sensor, but the details are limited and/or iffy about how to get the Smart Junction Box (SJB) reprogrammed to read it. Some say it cannot be done once it's outside the factory, and I'm inclined to believe so.

Read this thread for more details: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1931&p=40524

#4 ·
I was looking at the Ford Escape Brochure and it does show as standard equipment on XLT and above models. Your signature shows 2011 XLT so that rules out that possibility.

Courtesy of the 2012 Ford Escape brochure. Although this is a 2012 brochure I don't believe there were any significant changes between 11 and 12 models.

XLT
Rapid Spec 200A
Includes select XLS features, plus:
Mechanical
6-speed automatic transmission
Seating
Premium-grade cloth seats
6-way power driver's seat
Interior
Auto-dimming rearview mirror
Compass and outside temperature display

#5 ·
I thought that I kept my '09 brochure but can't locate it right now but IIRC the ambient temperature readout was part of the Limited package. As mentioned above it could be a SJB programming problem. It may be like the trailer anti-sway option that comes "only" with the OEM installed trailer package. Nothing in the SJB info about a way to turn that feature ON.

#7 ·
Tang said:
Canadian and US packaging are different... not sure why Ford went through the hassle of all that. I would've loved heated seats in my XLT!
By law, all vehicles sold in Canada must have Daylight Running Lamps, so the Escapes sold there do. I've wondered if anyone in the US has had that feature enabled. I'm not sure if that's listed as an option in the SJB either.

#8 ·
The outdoor temp display is managed by the climate control module (this is true for both the manual and automatic systems). The display module itself may need special programming to enable the temperature display as well, but I rather doubt it. As was discussed in other threads, it seems that no one has discovered a way to reprogram the climate control modules.

The 2011 model year should, AFAIK, have the outside temp display enabled (2010 should as well, but only some of the 2009 models had it). If it's not working, I'd have the dealer look at it since this would be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. It's possible that the sensor is damaged, since the display will turn off if there is no input from the sensor.

The DRLs can indeed be enabled in the US. I had it enabled at the dealer, though they charged me $25 for the 5 minutes it took to hook up the computer and enable the software "switch." Odd observation by the way, the DRLs are disabled when the shift lever is in park. Most other vehicles with DRLs that I've seen have the DRLs on at all times when the engine is running, unless the parking brake is on.

#9 ·
The ambient temperature is a seperate sensor located just behind the front grill or so the manual states. It has nothing to do with the climate control, why should it? There's is another temperature sensor as part of the AC unit to make condensation doesn't freeze. There's another temperature sensor for the interior too.

Although the Canadian Escape for '09 had DRL enabled, the service manual didn't show it as a feature that could be enabled. I've never heard of any '09 owner having it enabled, not that there wasn't just never posted.

Why would one need DRL while in Park?

#12 ·
Great Mozz..Thats awesome price they have on their site..I think i may get one..Looks like it does what the scanguage does and more? How do u like it,how long have u had it?

#13 ·
mozz said:
My base model 2010 XLS can show external temperature with one of these.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm
Best $59 i ever spent. Price has gone up now.
Also will show a host of other sensors, voltages, fuel mpg, rpm, digital mph, etc.etc
Does your '10 XLS have the factory external temperature dash temperature readout? I don't think ambient/external temperature is a generic OBD-II PID so I'm unsure how that guage could calculate it or from what other PID.

#14 ·
There is no factory readout, only the radio and clock. There are lots of obd codes there, whatever the manufacturer wants to put there, only so many are actually required.

"Does your '10 XLS have the factory external temperature dash temperature readout? I don't think ambient/external temperature is a generic OBD-II PID so I'm unsure how that guage could calculate it or from what other PID.[/quote]

#15 ·
The unit plugs into the OBD port. It's a cheaper version of the Scangauge in my opinion. I don't remember if it was the Escape or our Focus but one found 51 gauges. Some readings are useless to the average driver such as injector rates or fuel trim readings but it will scroll through 18 gauges you select on 3 pages of 6. You can watch the temp gauge rise while the dash gauge does not move. It is cylinder head temp anyway but you can see what type of driving causes this. Instantaneous fuel mpg is also fun to watch. Spark advance and battery voltage, alarms you can set for any reading, there are so many i can't remember. They have a forum also. I really like driving using digital rpm and digital mph, i don't even look at the dash anymore.
Looks like they discontinued the older model, the newer one does metric and some more gauges.

#16 ·
I'm no expert but any sensor that it could possibly use to calculate ambient temperature would be under the hood and be really inaccurate. Someone in another forum tried to say that a vehicle used ambient temperature calculated from air intake temperature but one can watch that go up at every traffic light.

#17 ·
Not the Escape,the outside temp is almost exact as my digital reading weather forecaster. Even at stop signs it does not go up at all. It is described in the OBD as ambient temp, not air intake temp. I'm sure the V6 does run hotter under the hood, less air circulation do to space. I would like to have the DRL's turned on but don't think the dealer would do it.

#18 ·
I always wondered where the sensor is for outside air temp cause my moms 2001 dodge stratus SE has this option and it is always accurate to all the bank temps they display on their signs.

It's a pretty cool feature IMO...

#19 ·
jbone2470 said:
I always wondered where the sensor is for outside air temp cause my moms 2001 dodge stratus SE has this option and it is always accurate to all the bank temps they display on their signs.

It's a pretty cool feature IMO...
The Escape manual locates the sensor just inside the front grille, left side or driver's side but I've never looked for it.

Just think about it. How can a device show "true" ambient temperature regardless if it's summer(w/wo AC ON) or winter with the heater going using "something" that you already have. My Scanguage-II can show ATF temperature and at times it's close to ambient but if the outside rises fast, it'll take forever for ATF to reach its level.

The bottom line is, how would you measure ambient air temperature without an ambient temperature sensor??

#20 ·
mozz said:
Not the Escape,the outside temp is almost exact as my digital reading weather forecaster. Even at stop signs it does not go up at all. It is described in the OBD as ambient temp, not air intake temp. I'm sure the V6 does run hotter under the hood, less air circulation do to space. I would like to have the DRL's turned on but don't think the dealer would do it.
I know what it calls it but how can it measure ambient temperature without having a sensor located in ambient temperature?

#22 ·
mozz said:
It has one.
MOTORCRAFT Part # DY1137
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor
Located in Front bumper ; Outside Temp Thermometer
Earlier you stated that you don't have a dash readout, now your saying you have the sensor? Where dd you get that info and/or what makes you think that you now have a sensor?

Google comes up with: Motorcraft DY-1137 Coolant Temperature Sensor. Some sites show it as a Ambient Temperature Sensor.

Looking at the electrical diagram for my '09, the sensor mounted at near/behind the grill is the same connector shown in a diagram for the HVAC Module-EMTC. It could be that they all have the sensor which is used by the HVAC. There could be a PID for it that they found to show the readout too. Interesting.......

#25 ·
From my knowledge(guessing), all newer models have the outside air temp sensor. It's a software thing whether or not it displays it. Many sensors are available on the obd port, so instead of paying Ford, i pay Ultragauge and get to see
Open/Closed Loop Emissions Status
Percent Engine Load
Engine coolant temperature (F)
Engine coolant temperature (C)
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) PSI
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)(kPa)
RPM
MPH
KPH
Ignition Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature (F)
Intake Air Temperature (C)
Mass Air Flow Sensor output in grams/sec
Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
Bank 2 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
Bank 2 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
ECM RUN TIME
Distance traveled with Check Engine Light on (miles)
Distance traveled with Check Engine Light on (km)
Commanded EGR Flow Percent
Commanded EGR Flow Error Percent
Commanded Evaporative purge Percent
Fuel Level Percent
Number of warm-ups Since Check Engine Light cleared
Distance traveled since Check Engine Light cleared (miles)
Distance traveled since Check Engine Light cleared (km)
Evaporative System Vapor Pressure (PSI)
Evaporative System Vapor Pressure (Pa)
Barometric Pressure (inHg)
Barometric Pressure (kPa)
Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature (F)
Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature (C)
Catalytic Converter Bank 2 Sensor 1 Temperature (F)
Catalytic Converter Bank 2 Sensor 1 Temperature (C)
Battery Voltage
Relative Throttle Position Percentage
Ambient Air Temperature (F)
Ambient Air Temperature (C)
Boost Pressure, (Relative Pressure) (PSI)
Boost Pressure, (Relative Pressure) (kPa)
Brake Horsepower 1
Brake Kilowatts 1
Torque 1 (ft lbs)
Torque 1 (N.m)
Brake Horsepower 2
Brake Kilowatts 2
Torque 2 (ft lbs)
Torque 2 (N.m)
Volumetric Efficiency
Mass Air Flow 2, Calibrated/Calculated
Instantaneous MPG
Intantaneous Gallons/Hour (GPH)
Instantaneous KPL
Intantaneous Liters/Hour
Instantaneous L/100km
Distance to Empty(DTE)(miles)
Distance to Empty(DTE)(km)
Time to Empty (TTE)
Fuel Level (gallons)
Fuel Level (liters)
Oil Distance(miles)
Oil Distance(km)
Service Distance(miles)
Service Distance(km)
General Purpose
Average MPH
Average MPG
Average Gallon/Hour (GPH)
Fuel Used (gallons)
Run Time
Distance (miles)
Average KPL
Average L/100km
Average KPH
Average Liters/Hour
Fuel Used (liters)
Distance (km)
TRIP GAUGES
Run Time
Average MPH
Average MPG
Fuel Used Gallons
Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH)
UltraGauge Internal Temperature (F)
Average KPH
Avergage KPL
Avergage L/100km
Liters Used
Average Liters/Hour
Distance (km)
UltraGauge Internal Temperature (C)
SHORT TRIP GAUGES
Run Time
Avergage MPG
Fuel Used (gallons)
Average gallons/hour
Average MPH
Distance (miles)
Average KPH
Avergage KPL
Avergage L/100km
Liters Used
Average Liters/Hour
Distance (km)

#26 ·
Can it log 20 PIDs at different time intervals at one time, load into a PC, graph the output and export into MS XL? That what my old/obsolete scanner can do. A newer one will probably do more and better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.