Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

06 escape wiring diagram

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  wptski 
#1 ·
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for a 06 escape 3.0 , specifically the wiring diagram for the obd II connector. I am trying to figure out where pin 5 of the obd II which is the signal ground originates from. Its a black wire with a yellow tracer.

Thanks for your help

J

#2 ·
Can't find it. Looked at:
5 pages of Engine Control wiring diagrams
3 pages of body computer
1 page of computer data lines
1 page of data link connector diagram
None had the OBD-II connector.

Signal ground is just a more specific ground than body ground. It is a 'dedicated' conductor to a specific ground point.
Hmm will look at ground ... 3 pages of ground distribution .. no go.

I did not find a pinout for the ECM or PCM per se, but would believe that signal ground is direct to a pin on the computer. That way, unless the wires are cut or chafed, the computer 'knows' that the ground is good relative to its ground.
tom

#3 ·
If it's a signal ground or a return path, it's a floating ground and should originate at/from the PCM.

My '09 manual shows pin #4 BK-GN Ground-Cowl Left and pin #5 BK-BU Ground-Cross Car Beam on the DLC/OBD-II connector.

There is nothing listed on the PCM pinout for the DLC/OBD-II connector.

#4 ·
WPTSKI said:
If it's a signal ground or a return path, it's a floating ground and should originate at/from the PCM.

Okeydoke. What does "floating ground" mean?

My impression is that a signal ground is a more direct way to have a 'common' ground point, with similar resistance, save wire resistance, to a ground plane as the CPU sees. If you were to ground computer parts to individual grounds on a ship, as I had experience with, you ran the risk of having a 'ground loop' whereby the 'ground' at the cpu was different from the 'ground' at the tape units or printer. Just the difference in resistance caused by the path length and other variables could induce currents that were not desired.
Do you mean that the floating ground is not connected anywhere to the chassis ground? That would leave it 'floating' with respect to chassis ground, but leave it susceptible to bad stuff happening if it WERE to become 'ground' for something undesired. If you lost headlight ground, and there was a signal ground handy, the current through that signal ground could fiddle with 'stuff', no?
tom

#5 ·
tomw said:
WPTSKI said:

Okeydoke. What does "floating ground" mean?

My impression is that a signal ground is a more direct way to have a 'common' ground point, with similar resistance, save wire resistance, to a ground plane as the CPU sees. If you were to ground computer parts to individual grounds on a ship, as I had experience with, you ran the risk of having a 'ground loop' whereby the 'ground' at the cpu was different from the 'ground' at the tape units or printer. Just the difference in resistance caused by the path length and other variables could induce currents that were not desired.
Do you mean that the floating ground is not connected anywhere to the chassis ground? That would leave it 'floating' with respect to chassis ground, but leave it susceptible to bad stuff happening if it WERE to become 'ground' for something undesired. If you lost headlight ground, and there was a signal ground handy, the current through that signal ground could fiddle with 'stuff', no?
tom
Floating ground is using a seperate wire for signal return path. Instead of one hot wire and using chassis ground to complete the circuit, a seperate wire is used. For instance that's the way the electric clutch in the rearend on the 4WD is powered. Probably because it a pulse width modulated(PWM) signal. Early O2 sensors were only one wire and used chassis ground but I guess that didn't work too good.

The DRL is PWM as well because it's a reduced output, soooo the whole system could be PWM. Nothing is simple anymore!

BTW: I was a ETN lllloooonnngggg time ago! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.