Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Idle Shake! 2012 2.5L I-4

28K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  JSBPhotos 
#1 ·
I've lived with a very noticeable shake at idle with my four-cylinder Escape since I bought it in December, but as it approaches 7,000 miles I'm wondering if this problem is really normal, or if there might be something wrong. In my opinion, a 2012 four-cylinder vehicle shouldn't vibrate the inside rearview mirror to the point of distorting the image when sitting at a stoplight.

Shifting into Neutral completely eliminates the shake, but that's a rather inelegant "solution" to the problem. That also makes me wonder if something isn't right between the transmission and the engine.

I know the 2.5 is on the large side for a four-banger, and thus more prone to idle vibration, but I also know that Honda solved this problem back in the eighties. My first car, a Plymouth Turismo, didn't shake this much - and it didn't have balance shafts!

#2 ·
I agree, new vehicle shouldn't be doing this..I have seen a few on here with the I4 shaky idle,erratic shifting,and lunging into gears.

Not sure what the outcome was,but maybe try disconnecting the neg battery terminal to reset the computer and do a idle relearn process that should be outlined in your owners manual..

Sorry i have no defined answer for ya, hopefully someone will who has or had this issue...Good Luck

#3 ·
I'm willing to bet due to emissions and the like manufactures keep the idle at a low RPM. Add alittle bit of a load like being in gear and now you have an engine that is running but not at a smooth harmonic point and it's going through the drivetrain. This explains why it's find in idle.

My folks Fusion does this as well and more so when at a stop with the A/C cycling. I miss the old days when you could adjust the idle screw as have done in the past on other vehicles.

I know you can set idle RPM in Drive and Neutral/Park with the SCT tuner. so hopefully they could do the same for you at the dealer and turn it up.

#5 ·
My 2010 4 cyl with the standard transmission does not shake, it has 42,000 miles on it now. The electric power steering has software that eliminates the shake you feel through the steering wheel. If you are under warranty, bring it back to the dealer. Don't let them tell you they all do this. Could be crappy gasoline too, try running a different brand.

#6 ·
mozz said:
My 2010 4 cyl with the standard transmission does not shake, it has 42,000 miles on it now. The electric power steering has software that eliminates the shake you feel through the steering wheel. If you are under warranty, bring it back to the dealer. Don't let them tell you they all do this. Could be crappy gasoline too, try running a different brand.
The automatic transmission seems to be a common denominator for this problem. Out of gear, mine is smooth, too.

#7 ·
Unless you are willing to accept that 'this is the way it is...', then take a trip to your dealer, and ask to start up another vehicle, put it in gear, and observe. If they both perform the same way, then that may be the nature of the beast.
But I don't think so.
I have read about how the motor mounts can be un-equally loaded, or distorted due to 'things' happening while being assembled. No idea what, but I can imagine if one mount were tightened while the others were loose, then the engine and transmission had to be levered into place to get the other bolts to line up, there would be uneven load on the mounts, possibly transmitting more vibration to the chassis than intended. There is a procedure that supports the drivetrain, loosens all the mount bolts, and then, with the mounts 'relaxed', re-tightens the mounts. That would make none of the mounts pre-loaded, and give full normal travel to all the mounts.
When the transmission is in neutral or in gear, the engine rpm should be maintained. Same thing when the A/C is engaged. If the idle rpms are not constant, there is likely a problem with the IAC or learned settings.
tom

#9 ·
silverstreak said:
Our 2011 I4 shakes at idle too. We tried several I4's when making our choice and found it to be normal. Like mentioned in another thread about the shake, our Fusion does the same too.
I'm increasingly convinced that's just the way it is, too. My next oil change is due in about 2,000 miles, so I'll have the dealer check things out then, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't find anything.

Speaking of the Fusion, my friend's 2006 with the 2.3L seems a lot smoother at idle, as did a 2005 rental Mazda 6i with the same engine (the latter surprised me to the point I still remember it.)

#11 ·
I have to disagree. I have and I-4 and in gear it doesn't vibrate my mirror at all. Actually the only complaints I have is the noisy valve-train design. It almost reminds me of a diesel when you are next to a wall at the drive through. I do have the lunging shift most of the time as well. Keep us posted on what the dealer states when you go.

Like your Signature pic! :shades:

#14 ·
My Focus with the 2.0L I4 started to shake after about 100,000 kms. By 150,000 kms, it got to the point where I would have to pop it into neutral at a red light to prevent a small earthquake. Everyone I spoke to told me it was worn engine mounts. Either way, if your truck is under warranty, take it in and raise a little hell until they get it running the way you want. There should be zero shake in a new vehicle, IMHO.

#15 ·
Our 2012 AWD I4 Limited shakes a little at idle too. I didn't even notice it until I read this thread but I can't see it not being normal. Our '11 Fusion FWD I4 SEL does not shake at idle at all but it's more refined in every way over the Escape powertrain so that's just comparing apples to oranges. The Fusion's version of the powertrain is much smoother and quieter but that's to be expected in a car belonging to the most important automotive category there is. Anything less and it probably wouldn't sell so well. You can get away with a little shake in an SUV, that is often perceived to be a truck, IMO.

#16 ·
We just bought a 2012 i4 and I also thought it was vibrating a bit too much while at a light. It's not to the point where the mirror is vigorously shaking like you mentioned, but its still vibrating more than I'd like. I also find that putting it in to neutral smooths it out. Another concern I had is that when I initially start the car when it's cold....it revs in cold idle to about 1400 RPM, but it never drops below 1100 RPM until I put it into gear. If I was to immediately put it back into Park, it would be down to a normal idle (post cold idle) at about 500 RPM. My concern is that it doesn't finish its cold idle cycle until it's put into gear. Anyone else have that problem?

#18 ·
AREscape said:
Well, I'll have to check mine but I don't recall ever having a vibration so bad the rear view mirror shakes! I bought my E June of 2011 with 80 miles on him. I have 5,800 now.
The mirror itself seems a tad loose at one of the ball joints, which could also explain why mine shakes so much. I plan to take a look later today to see if it's something I can tighten. I'm also taking my Escape in to the dealer next week for some paint work, so I'll ask them to check the idle shake too.

#19 ·
JSBPhotos said:
Like your Signature pic! :shades:
Thanks! I rent the plane, a Remos GX, from New Mexico Sport Aviation at the Santa Fe airport. I'm still somewhat amazed that not only do I have the keys to an aircraft, but that I can also drive right up to the hangar instead of walking out to the ramp from the FBO!

Here's a different perspective:

#20 ·
My old man states that NVH with inline fours are notoriously poor. If you want an engine that won't rock the interior and is also the most efficient, an inline-six and 90-degree V8 will do the trick.

I always thought those inline-sixes they used in the previous Trailblazer/Envoy were surprisingly powerful for their size. At 4.2L, they could do 270-275hp and 275-290 ft-lb. At the same time, the 4.6L V8 Ford put in Explorers only did 240 until they put the 3V version on there and then it was 292.

For the record, I think the Mustang has used a 90-degree V8 for a while.

#21 ·
Tang said:
The old man states that NVH with inline fours are notoriously poor. If you want an engine that won't rock the interior and is also the most efficient, an inline-six and 90-degree V8 will do the trick.

I always thought those inline-sixes they used in the previous Trailblazer/Envoy were surprisingly powerful for their size. At 4.2L, they could do 270-275hp and 275-290 ft-lb. At the same time, the 4.6L V8 Ford put in Explorers only did 240 until they put the 3V version on there and then it was 292.
Of the 10 cars I've owned, seven have had inline fours. This is by far the worst one in terms of NVH, and that list includes a 1984 Plymouth Turismo (2.2L) and a 1994 Saturn SL2. While neither of those cars had a smooth idle, both were smoother than the 2.5L.

Many manufacturers have largely solved the vibrations inherent to inline fours through the use of balance shafts and specialized motor mounts. In contrast, the engines in my 1992 Honda Accord and (surprisingly) an Ecotec-equipped 2004 Grand Am were damn near invisible at idle; the only time you'd feel a slight vibration through the wheel was with the A/C on full blast.

I still don't know why GM saw fit to kill the Atlas I-6. It was one HELL of a motor. Probably too expensive.

#22 ·
Rob...ya noticed this recently,or was it there when you bought it and test drove it? I guess it wasn't much of an issue then if ya bought it..Maybe u can trade it inn for a v6 if it gets too much to deal with..

On my 04 v6,sometimes i cant even tell it is idling,i have to double check to make sure it is running cause it so quiet and smooth.

I just wonder why you bought it if you knew the problem existed then..Or maybe it is just now getting to ya or maybe your just wondering why and if others do it too..

The mirror prob just loose,and you will get used to the idle once you have drive it more..Enjoy all the good things it has to offer as well..

#23 ·
jbone2470 said:
Rob...ya noticed this recently,or was it there when you bought it and test drove it? I guess it wasn't much of an issue then if ya bought it..Maybe u can trade it inn for a v6 if it gets too much to deal with..

On my 04 v6,sometimes i cant even tell it is idling,i have to double check to make sure it is running cause it so quiet and smooth.

I just wonder why you bought it if you knew the problem existed then..Or maybe it is just now getting to ya or maybe your just wondering why and if others do it too..

The mirror prob just loose,and you will get used to the idle once you have drive it more..Enjoy all the good things it has to offer as well..
Please don't misunderstand - I still like my Escape a lot! It offers a ton of utility (something that helped a great deal recently when moving to a new house) and I enjoy driving it.

I've spent more time in the Escape over the past two months (about 4,000 miles total) than I did in the previous five, so guess I'm just starting to recognize some niggling faults. I did feel the vibration before I bought it, though that was in winter and I can't recall if I drove it beforehand with the A/C on or not. I did wonder at the time if the idle would smooth out as the engine was broken in, and decided it was worth the risk.

If the shake isn't fixable (and I suspect it isn't) I will still be happy overall with my decision to buy it. I do think Ford could have done a better job here, though.

#25 ·
I've had my 2011 XLT 2.5I4 now for about a year and have close to 36000mi on it. I've never noticed any shaking or rattle and roll with it at all. Although, sometimes and very rare it will exhibit that long shift into 1-2 and 2-3. Thats the only problem, if it is with my vehicle.

#26 ·
I understand, i was just wondering...And ya gotta think too is what one person thinks is a bad idle or whatever,may not be that bad to another.So guess it is a personal thing.

:peace:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.