Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Whine / Whirring noise at highway speed

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  AhuraMazda04 
#1 ·
OK, this one has me stumped so far. My 2007 Escape Hybrid, 59,000 miles, makes a whirring or whine sound at highway speeds when going straight. (it sounds similar to axle gear noise - about 300 to 400 HZ) If I turn the steering wheel to the left, it gets much louder. If I turn to the right, it nearly stops. I jacked up all 4 corners and grabbed the tires and did a wheel rocking test. The right front wheel had play so I had the wheel bearing and outer tie rod replaced. To my shock, the noise is totally unchanged! Now it is getting louder on a coast as well as turning left.

Tires have about 5000 miles - Conti CrossContacts.

Any suggestions? :confused:

#6 ·
Any leaks near where axle goes into trans? Maybe a bad axle bearing.Usually what u describe is a wheel bearing.gets louder when turning wheel to left,usually means right wheel bearing.

Could it be steering related? How the fluid..I not that familiar with hybrids.Could be any number of things on that right side..

Its not the tire? i would check that wheel bearing again closely..

#7 ·
jbone2470 said:
Any leaks near where axle goes into trans? Maybe a bad axle bearing.Usually what u describe is a wheel bearing.gets louder when turning wheel to left,usually means right wheel bearing.

Could it be steering related? How the fluid..I not that familiar with hybrids.Could be any number of things on that right side..

Its not the tire? i would check that wheel bearing again closely..
Could it be the rear wheel bearing? It doesn't feel loose.

Not power steering - it is electric.

#10 ·
You could jack up and put gear in neutral and spin wheels manually and listen for any scraping or anything abnormal..Be careful watch for car to roll, chock wheels that are on ground.

#11 ·
OP here, still stumped.

I ran the vehicle alternately with one front wheel off the ground. Definitely noisier on the left side. To me, this either means wheel bearing or half shaft. The wheel has no play in the bearing when I try to rock it top to bottom or side to side. CV has no tears in the boot.

Any tips on how to proceed from here?

#12 ·
You'll know if it's a bearing by the unbearably hot lugnuts after driving around. Could be something internal that you can't diagnose by simply moving the wheel around...

#13 ·
Curious, what speeds does this noise occur?

I have 2001 Tribute. Drives fine until I hit just over 60mph when a whine starts. It gets loudest at 65-66, then starts to fade by about 70. This has plagued me for the past 3+ years and over 30k miles (purchased used privately at ~65k, now have ~95k).

No other issues besides the whine. Transmission was rebuild at 70k miles (would not shift) so I know it can not be that. Tires were replaced 3 years ago with General Grabbers, whine was there before and after.

Oh yeah, noise is on the drivers side, sounds like it is right in the wheel well. Unbearable when the speed limit is 55, and I usually try and drive 65. Any slower and I hold up traffic, any faster (70+) and I am more likely to get a ticket.

#14 ·
mamisano said:
Curious, what speeds does this noise occur?

I have 2001 Tribute. Drives fine until I hit just over 60mph when a whine starts. It gets loudest at 65-66, then starts to fade by about 70. This has plagued me for the past 3+ years and over 30k miles (purchased used privately at ~65k, now have ~95k).

No other issues besides the whine. Transmission was rebuild at 70k miles (would not shift) so I know it can not be that. Tires were replaced 3 years ago with General Grabbers, whine was there before and after.

Oh yeah, noise is on the drivers side, sounds like it is right in the wheel well. Unbearable when the speed limit is 55, and I usually try and drive 65. Any slower and I hold up traffic, any faster (70+) and I am more likely to get a ticket.
My noise peaks out at 45 mph. I plan to replace the other wheel bearing in a week or two. I'll report out my findings then.

#15 ·
My 04 is doing this exact same thing. My sound starts around 25mph and just gets louder the faster I go. Turn left, a little louder, right, it nearly goes completely away. It's like a loud hum. I can feel it as well, starting to get a decent vibration now, feels worse riding shotgun. Feels and sounds like riding in a truck with aggressive mud tires. It's really annoying.

#16 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2012 L4. It happens prob about 90% of the time and is audible with the windows open and is extremely loud when you are by the center divider on the highway. It starts at around 25mph and I can hear it to about 3rd gear. It may continue but wind noise may drown it out. It sound like a spinning whine sound that increases in sound with speed. It has been driving me nuts but the dealership I feel doesn't even check it out when I drop it off. Truck only has around 16,000 on it and its been going on for at least the past 2500. Drives me crazy, don't like driving with windows open.

Anyone have any luck with this whine sound yet?

EDIT - They found it to be my Alternator pulley to be making the noise, odd because it was only when I was moving it could be heard, I checked and it was replaced, can still hear the loud whine though when driving it's just lower, maybe these cars just have whiny/loud pulleys :shrug:

#17 ·
jbone2470 said:
You could jack up and put gear in neutral and spin wheels manually and listen for any scraping or anything abnormal..Be careful watch for car to roll, chock wheels that are on ground.
I jacked one wheel at a time and ran the tire up to 45 mph. It made noise when the left side was spinning, so I just replaced that wheel bearing and the noise is gone now.

#19 ·
travelover said:
OP here, still stumped.

I ran the vehicle alternately with one front wheel off the ground. Definitely noisier on the left side. To me, this either means wheel bearing or half shaft. The wheel has no play in the bearing when I try to rock it top to bottom or side to side. CV has no tears in the boot.

Any tips on how to proceed from here?
Not all bearings have play to them when they fail. Change the other hub bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.