Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Restore Exterior Plastic (Pics)

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Kennedy 
#1 ·
The exterior plastic parts the door handles, the step bars and side mirror are light grey, I don't why I think is the soap I use to clean the Escape, anyway, is here any product to actually restore them? I remember when I bought the Escape they were black now they look awful. Is a 2010 Escape is not parked on sun light... I know this plastics fadeout but the vehicle is new to start doing it...

Update Pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
Detail Doctor. I saw an informmercial for this stuff the other day. Was kind of curious but have always been skeptical of As Seen On TV. Let me know how it works if you end up getting it.

https://www.getdetaildoctor.com/?mid=3046755

#3 ·
Anything that's meant to clean vinyl and plastic should do the trick. I don't know what I have in my car right now but that stuff gives everything black and plastic a like-new look.

#8 ·
Linna said:
Maybe some of the exterior trim could be Plasti-Dipped if you want a permanent solution.
It may peel and nick, paint would be more permanent IMO..And for a more permanent solution besides paint would be a dye, not a cleaner..

I wish i could recall the name of the stuff i used back on my jeep.i got it at wal mart for about $10 and it was a black dye and it lasted long time.Just be careful not to get it on paint.It is messy if your not careful..

I know we have a couple detail guys on here,maybe they have a low cost solution they use to help you get your escape looking fresh again..

#11 ·
Back to black works, but does have to be reapplied semi regularly, maybe not every wash / rain, but I'd do it at least once a month.

You want to let it soak in and then buff off any excess so it won't run much.

I've heard some people say they like Meguiar's Trim Detailer or Black Wow better, but still have almost a full bottle left of the back to black, I'll probably try the others when i run out.

#12 ·
i dont usually use mothers products but this is the best stuff for the rubber trim and for the plastics highly recommend it and i used to be a detailer for ford for 5 years i used this before and it honestly works great!!!! and if you have any other detailing questions just ask or pm me ill try help :thumb:

#13 ·
I used Turtle Was Premium Grade Trim Restorer

http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=64

works well but also creates a slippery surface. Would not recommend on the back tailgate piece if you have a Dog getting in and out.

overall works well but same as the others needs to be reapplied. I would reapply twice in the first week and then every few months. Works really well on weather stripping too...good luck

I have before and after pics on my refresh project thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16250

the Pic at the bottom is with the restorer applied (note the difference between the mirrors and rocker trim vs. the untreated roof racks)

#16 ·
I use WD-40. It gives a nice gloss black finish. It doesn't last forever though, like most of the other products posted. It also keeps it cleaner for longer IMO, but it depends on what you do with it. I use it on the handles, mirrors, weather stripping, anything black and/or plastic. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.