Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Transmission Cooler

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sleeve 
#1 ·
Does my 2007 Escape Limited have a transmission cooler? I do have the factory towing package. Can anyone provide any details on how it works?

#2 ·
I have an 05 with the tow package and it came with the transmission cooler. Not sure if your year includes it as well.

#3 ·
What is the transmission cooling setup on the Escape? I'm not very much sure

There are two types of transmission coolers:

1) In Radiator - this type is most common with automatic transmissions. The radiator will have a built in pocket with two metal lines running to the end cap of the radiator. The way this type works is two fold: Because the engine warms up the coolant fast, the transmission fluid being circulated through the radiator is warmed up quicker as well. This comes in handy in the winter months as an in radiator cooler brings your transmission fluid up to temp faster. The cooling function works in a similar matter but in reverse. Once the transmission has built up enough heat, the fluid carries it to the radiator pocket where it's dispersed by the cooler. The nice feature the in radiator system have is they can manage heat spikes. Say you're off road and you've cooked your transmission fluid. Well that hot fluid is sent to the radiator, which is a fairly large cooling surface, and the heat can be dissipatedly across a large surface for better cooling.

2) Auxiliary Mounted - These are stand alone units. I don't know if Ford uses them on any of there vehicles as the primary means of cooling. Unlike the in radiator versions, the aux units do not get heat soak from the coolant but they take longer to warm up and can not dissapate heat spikes like a in radiator cooler can.

If you have the in radiator version, I would look at adding an additional Aux cooler to get the most cooling potential out of the Escape transmission. If you have both already than you should be OK towing. Just remember that heat is what kills the fluid, which then kills the transmission and the 4speed transmission can be fickle if not looked after rightly [so I've read.]

#4 ·
When I bought my '03, it was the oil cooler that came with the tow pkg. The in-radiator tranny cooler came with all Escapes.
Whether or not the oil cooler is in your vehicle can be determined by two lines coming from the area at the base of the oil filter.

Since I did need to add the oil cooler, I bought a combo trans/oil cooler from Summit Racing which worked fairly well for 6+ years and 97K miles. This included a stand alone trans and oil cooler combo and the thermostatically controlled oil diverter switch. It was something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-1 ... refilter=0

#5 ·
No one can tell me what type of cooler it might be?? I guess I don't see an additional set of fins up front, in the spring i'll chase the lines around and see what I can get. I'd like to install one if I can, and I will also be installing a external transmission filter.

I am only taking these precautions since it is the finicky 4speed transmission, others posted some information under a different thread that I wasn't particularly thrilled to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.