Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Heater Blows Cold Air

21K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  gbrown69 
#1 ·
Hi All,
As I stated in the subject my heater blows cold air and I was seeking a solution to this problem. Thus far, I have changed the thermostat, relays, overflow tank and cap and checked the fuses. Furthermore, the inlet and outlet hoses from the heater are both hot, as well as, the radiator hose at normal operating temperature. What other possible solution or idea I could possibly utilize to resolve this issue? Any advice would be appreciated and yes, I have not ruled out the dealer!

#3 ·
I second the door

#4 ·
wptski said:
If both hoses are hot, I assume that you bled the air from the heater core. The only thing left is that your blend door is stuck in the fresh air mode.
Apparently, I did not bleed the air from the core. My question would be, how does one bleed the air from the heater core? Also, I will check the position of the blend door and I truly appreciate the replies thus far. You guys are great.

#5 ·
the solution to my problem was actually the temperature control door which is located above the heater Core and thus, exlpaining my lack of heat. The cable linkage to Air Temperature Control Door has failed and requires replaces so my climate control system can be manually manipulated between cold and hot. The blend door is ok, and is electronically controlled.

#6 ·
Since, I was lazy and decided to postpone replacing my climate control cable, which the previous owner was unware had been damaged by the people who installed his mobile entertainment center, I realized the issue was not with the cable per se. In fact, the problem lie with the plastic stud that connects the cable to environmental controls. Furthermore, while I was nosing around at the Ford stealership I was inform by the parts clerk that those are problematic. My solution to my problem; two part plastic epoxy and a plastic sleeve to mend the broken stud for a mere grand total of, $6.00. And to think, Ford was going to charge $196.00 for new one.

#7 ·
And Ford wonders why people don't like going to their dealerships. lol.....Almost makes ya wanna cry, doesn't it! :) Hence the proliferation of aftermarket parts and auto shops. Overcharging and overpriced parts from dealerships leads people to be creative and innovative to keep their vehicles on the road.

#8 ·
wptski said:
.... The only thing left is that your blend door is stuck in the fresh air mode.
Could you explain that? On my 2002 Escape, except for the Max-A/C position, every other setting uses outside air.

PS: It's something that I hate about the car. Anyone who lives in the city &/or has to drive in heavy traffic should understand why... unless they like the smell of smog & diesel fumes.

#9 ·
I once had a problem with a 2004 Mazda MPV minivan where it was blowing cold air and it turned out there was an in-line valve built in the heater hose near the firewall which could be turned off or on - apparently for diagnostic work. I had the vehicle in a couple times over the summer and I assume the dealer put it in the off position, but failed to return it to the on position. I almost took it back in thinking I had heater system problems, but thanks to another forum (MPVclub.com), the solution was found and it took 10 seconds to fix.

Made me wonder what my dealer would have told me was wrong had I taken it in.

#10 ·
martin-csr said:
wptski said:
.... The only thing left is that your blend door is stuck in the fresh air mode.
Could you explain that? On my 2002 Escape, except for the Max-A/C position, every other setting uses outside air.

PS: It's something that I hate about the car. Anyone who lives in the city &/or has to drive in heavy traffic should understand why... unless they like the smell of smog & diesel fumes.
MMM! Now we have a recirculate button (at least in my 2010 and now 2011 model). But i have to tell that most cars doesn't have it anymore. Maybe because here (northern areas) when you use the recirculation on cold weather, windows are soon covered with dew!

But i really appreciate that function. when it's very cold outside you can use it and the cabin will get heat faster! System will return it to normal operation automatically after a few minutes though! (to avoid dew)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.