Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

01 ford escape how to replace VALVE COVER GASKETS

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  minnesotaart 
#1 ·
i recently changed the spark plugs, and I saw that one of them cilinder 5 had oil on it, I think the valve cover gasket may be leaking, does anyone know how to replace the valve cover gaskets?
I really appreciate your help.
thnx
Art.

#5 ·
tury27 said:
ok, so do you mean like tighten the bolts a lot more?
ore unbolting then bolting back with more tightness.
Over time, the bolts can loosen somewhat. Retightening them has a slight possibility of fixing the problem, or at least buying you time.

I suppose you could loosen the bolts, apply threadlocker, and tighten them again. But at that point, you may as well just replace the gaskets, since it's a pretty easy job on most cars.

#7 ·
tury27 said:
do you by any chance know the 2001 ford escape valve cover torque specs?
yes i do,

89-in lbs

Tightening sequence,
For the left valve cover (front)...
Start with the 2 bolts in the middle, doing the left-hand bolt of the 2 first, then the second one. Then do the one nearest the AC condenser and the second one nearest the fan on the right hand side. Keep tightening in that diagonal pattern.

#8 ·
slavrenz said:
tury27 said:
ok, so do you mean like tighten the bolts a lot more?
ore unbolting then bolting back with more tightness.
Over time, the bolts can loosen somewhat. Retightening them has a slight possibility of fixing the problem, or at least buying you time.

I suppose you could loosen the bolts, apply threadlocker, and tighten them again. But at that point, you may as well just replace the gaskets, since it's a pretty easy job on most cars.
do you think it might be wise to use a Gasket Sealant? the gaskets cost $60 at AZ :worry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.