Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
As far as that's concerned, that applies to 01-07. Fourthmeal is a wealth of knowledge in this area so I'm sure he can answer pretty much anything you need. To answer your question, yes, you can fit a double din radio in there....with a little modification. When pulling the stock radio out, the top of the slot the radio fits in needs to be trimmed down. I didn't use an exact math....kinda just eyeballed it and trimmed it with a dremel. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I appreciate the compliment but I am not an expert w/ these years of Escapes and their DIN mountings.

I can guide you through how to install an active component system and a false floor, but because I've never actually done a 2din in an older escape I can't claim I know how to do it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Unfortunately, no, I didn't take any pictures. It wasn't pretty anyway and I wouldn't claim I did it if anyone asked. :doh: But all that matters is that you can't see it and it functions as it should. It's pretty straight forward once you get the stock radio out. Just use caution when you pull the trim panel off. The metal clips on the bottom gouged the heck out of my dash from rubbing against it. It's caught a few people on here.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
pretty easy to do. Just pull out the stock unit using the ford U-shaped removal tools. Once its disconnected detach the center dash panel from the dashboard by grabbing the vent area near the head unit area. Once detached reach behind the panel and detach the wire harnesses. you wont have to disconnect the heating vacuum hoses. Make sure to put a thick rag or a couple pcs of tape on the dash just below the panel so that when it hangs it wont scratch your dash. The next part is easy to do but dont rush it. You will now have to remove about 3/16ths of a inch of the opening in the dash on the top. This is easy to do since the dash is a soft plastic. I used a sharp serrated knife from my kitchen (don't tell my wife)
The new unit should slide right in unless you have the unit I have. My Pioneer premier F90BT was 1/8 of an inch too wide. so I cut off about 1/16 -1/8 of an inch on the right side. The best kit I found was by American International it mounts flush with the center panel and makes the unit look stock.

Let me know if you want pictures and ill get u some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.