Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, having problems draining our coolant. We have a new drain plug and pulled out the old one.. But not much coolant came out, and the reservoir is still relatively full. I know there isnt a radiator cap, but there must be a 2nd drain plug or screw. Ive read there might be one above and to the left of the oil filter. I think we found it, but, problem is, there is a hose or something connected to it. Is this right, or are we looking in the wrong place?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The cooling system is under pressure, so you have to open the pressure relief cap on the coolant bottle (not when it's hot, naturally). Draining the coolant this way doesn't remove all of it, so if your coolant is dirty or contaminated, you need to bleed or flush the system.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention, we took the reservoir cap off, and thats what originally allowed some coolant to drain. Our original plan was to flush it out, but it wont drain. Do you know where the 2nd plug is?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jordan31 said:
Yeah I forgot to mention, we took the reservoir cap off, and thats what originally allowed some coolant to drain. Our original plan was to flush it out, but it wont drain. Do you know where the 2nd plug is?
There's only one draincock on the radiator. Leo's right, pull the lower radiator hose and be done with it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know about your model, but flushing a 2002 XLS 2.0 4-cyl was fairly easy.
Removing the thermostat then reconnecting the thermostat housing is part of the procedure.
Stuff is accessible on the I-4 engine. However, I did not remove the engine block drain plug,
because I couldn't get a wrench on it (I wasn't 100% sure where it was located either, so I didn't bother).
From the amount of fluid I was able to add afterwards, removing it wasn't really necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.