Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Escape with 93K, been a great car, never had any issues. I now notice a rubber type odor coming from the engine. I've checked all the hoses, they apear fine, the coolant level looks good. Could it be something electrical going bad? And now at the same time, I notice a small oil leak under the oil pan, very small, maybe one drop a day in the driveway. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What model Escape and where do you live?
Odors are difficult to communicate with, and one's experience vastly improves the description specifics.
Have you had the ABS module changed when it was recalled many years ago?
It could also be clutch smell in a manual gearbox car or even leaking AC system.
Also, check underneath the car for any debris on or around the exhaust system.
Good luck and please let us know with your findings.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ok. Thank you for your reply.
Try to remember or find out if the ABS module has been changed in your car when it was recalled some years ago.It was found out smelting and causing a series of problems, besides the smell.
Is the smell evident even after the car is parked for some hours, or does it occur when the car is driven?If you can still smell it after the car has been parked for some hours, I suggest to take it immediately for a check.
Check the car underneath and make sure it is clean around the exhaust area and nothing is rubbing or touching the exhaust.
Wipe the little oil under the oil pan exterior and see if the odor disappears for a while.
Please keep informing the forum.The cause or remedy you find will be helpful to all of us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same problem.. same car.. I think is the small oil leak, when it gets hot the oil evaporates emitting that rubber like odor ( or that what I hope) I fount the leak and the mechanic told me I could wait a little bit it wasn't anything to worry. like you say, a drop a day or less.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
For about $50 you can buy both belts and change them yourself or add to that an hour's labor fees.
With the engine off rub your index finger on the inside surface of each belt separately and see if the smell resembles the one you mentioned.If yes, belt time change is well over due.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have alrady indicated that you had a small oil leak. Oil pan gaskets are known to begin leaking on the Escapes around 100k miles. The exhaust runs right under the oil pan. It only takes a few drips hitting it and you're going to smell something burning. After a drive (when engine is good and hot) peek under the oil pan and see if there is smoke or smell of smoke coming from the exhaust area around the pan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.