Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my wife an 03 limited 3.0 . When it is cold you have to give it fuel to start. If you don't it will fire then die. When it does start it revs to about 3k RPM then slowly comes down. When it warm it starts just fine. There are no light on and I just changed the fuel filter. I'm thinking there has to some sort of sensor going out ( fuel pressure sensor) maybe. One other problem I have is when your taking off there is a sort of growling noise from the front and when you stop accelerating it goes away . The car has had previous damage to the front .

·
Registered
191 Posts
The hard start problem is probably the IAC valve - it acts as a throttle plate bypass. The IAC is located on the intake manifold in plain sight on the V6. Do an internet photo search for Escape IAC. It's common for them to get carbon fouled. You could remove it & clean it as a temporary fix... and to prove (hopefully) that the IAC is at fault. If it is the problem, I'd go ahead & replace it w a Motorcraft unit.

As for the growl, I don't know. A common thing that growls is the power steering, but that usually occurs when the wheels are turned. I'd go ahead & check the fluid level. Something else you can do to check the p/s is to drive the front wheels onto cardboard (two pieces per wheel), start the car, then turn the wheels back n forth (but not lock to lock). The cardboard helps the wheels to turn real easy. A small amount of air in the lines will cause growling; doing the test may clear out any air & perhaps prove whether or not the p/s is the problem. But, again, I don't know what's causing the growl... maybe the transmission?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If the car starves for fuel when cold I would first look at the batterfly cock in the intake if it shuts all the way and properly.If not a simple spray cleaner will do the job.Then I would suspect the MAF sensor and after that the IAC is my next bet.Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks to both of you on the hard starting i will check both those this weekend. As far as the growling noise I thought the same thing at first and added fluid it was little low but it still has the same problem I'm just wondering sense it had previous front end damage that it could have knocked something loose? Or this could be just the normal sound of the car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The growl probably isn't a normal noise. I would check the transmission fluid & do a bunch of internet searches in regards to the Escape V6 automatic transmission. Another guess would be the wheel bearings or transaxles - maybe something got damaged & wasn't fixed.... more guesses. Maybe you should take it to a mechanic?

Be sure to install a new IAC gasket, whether or not you replace it. A gasket from the auto parts store should be fine, but I'd install a Motorcraft IAC if you get a new one.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Regarding the growling while accelerating.
I would first check the two front half shafts.Especially the two inner CV joints.
With the engine off and the car secured get under it.Grab the left half shaft close to the inner boot and see if you can shake it a little.Do the same with the right one.If some shake is evident that is the cause of the growling.There is also the intermediate shaft bearing which can cause that growling.Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guy might be right about axles because when I was inspecting the brakes I noticed the boot was torn on pass. side and there was some grease on the a-arm . thanks for every ones help I have alot of work this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts