Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently did a favor for a friend of mine and did a spark plug replacement on their 04 Escape 3.0L. Not a terrible job but during the reassembly, I found that at the back of the engine compartment there is a small rubber hose sucking air. I didn't recall taking a hose like that off, and have no clue where it goes.

At the rear of the intake, there are 3 hoses that need to come off, they are all right next to each other. I believe that this smaller hose which I cannot find a home for, runs off of the middle hose which I found to be the engine vacuum hose.

At first I did not worry about it, however a day later, the car threw a code and I can only imagine it was for a lean condition as this hose was sucking air.

I am sorry I do not have a photo of the hose, but what I can tell you is that the black rubber is about an inch around and inside of it is a small, very small white plastic fitting. Are there any small nipples on the back of the intake which I missed where this small hose could go to?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
If it is the middle hose coming off the back of intake,that will have a plastic insert and that hose goes all the weay around to the side under the throttle body to the pcv valve, that hose is the pcv hose..The other 2 hoses on back i not sure..

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Going through the steps to remove the intake manifold, here are all the small hoses you run into:

EGR valve vacuum hose (top arrow):

EGR vacuum regulator solenoid vacuum hose (bottom arrow):

VMV hose:

Transmission vent hose (should be left open):

Click on those photos to go to a large version.

This is the only photo I have of the area with the three hoses.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Great info CP....He said it was about an inch size hose with plastic insert,so that leads me to believe it's the pcv valve hose coming off the middle of those 3 back hoses... :peace:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
greyboy, you were correct in the EVAP line, but there is another branch off. The EVAP line was connected correctly. Here is the best I could do for a photo of the culprit.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
My vehicle is 3 years newer, and doesn't have a hose with a fitting like that in the area near the vacuum reservoir, which is the big roundy thing mounted on the firewall just above the hose you are holding.
The hose in question might belong on a "tee" in any of the other hoses. There should be a hose just to the left and a little lower on the firewall that feeds vacuum to the the HVAC flap diaphragm 'motors'. If the heating system is in defrost mode all the time, you lack vacuum to re-direct the airflow.
A picture taken from a few feet away might give a better indication of possible connections.
tom

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
When i get my escape back i will look into this.i have a 04 v6...If u have found out what it goes to please let us know... :peace:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts