Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
My suspicion would be that the replacement compressor isn't working very well or the system is overcharged. It's unable to create a large enough differential in pressures. Factory service manual says 30 oz of r134a.

BTW, what color was the orifice tube that was installed? Blue or red? Where are you at in the world/country?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The PCM doesn't monitor the A/C system parameters or any temperature or pressure sensors during operation. It only looks at the series switch circuit (low pressure cycling and high pressure cutout) to determine when A/C is requested. Then, when the PCM's programming allows it, the PCM energizes the clutch relay. Think of this a 1st generation of PCM control of the A/C system. Evaporator temperature sensors and pressure transducers came a few years later than your 05. You'll have to diagnose by gauges.

My suspicion, after thinking some more about it, is that either it's a weak compressor as previously suggested or there is excessive refrigerant either bypassing the orifice (o-ring failure, perhaps) or the hole in the replacement orifice is too large. I'm leaning very strongly towards the compressor being a dud. Scratch the over-charged idea, the pressures would behave differently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts