Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 Ford Escape with the 4cyl/5spd that we purchased a few years ago. We got it as a running/driving car but was running rough (fuel related was the thought) and was priced right (under $1k) We started replacing everything we could think of to fix the issue. Went through the fuel system, ignition system, all sensors, etc but nothing was working. Replaced the intake manifold/gaskets, nothing worked. Ended up taking it into a shop and they smoke tested it to find the intake manifold still leaking. Purchased a new one assuming it was warped and still was leaking! At this point we realized the prior owner had done a 2.3L to 2.5L swap and never told us since it was running rough. The mechanic found an adapter bracket for the intake which fixed the leaks - fuel/air mix was good and its able to idle now nicely without dying or jumping around. It had a lack of power, mechanic fixed that by adjusting the crankshaft position sensor on the engine. Unfortunately the engine is still a bit "throaty/coughy/misfirey" between 1500-3000rpm when revving and will jerk around a bit during normal driving when not accelerating and in that rpm range. Also hearing a shallow gulping sound when I open the air filter box. Mechanic thinks it might need the 2.5L timing cover swapped in. I stopped them there and found all these forums and youtube videos about these 2.3L escape for 2.5L fusion swaps which say to use a lot of the 2.3L parts. Since all sensors and ignition parts were replaced along the way I'm assuming its a timing issue still. The valve cover it came with didn't have the Variable Valve Timing solenoid hole - just the 2.3L cover with the cam timing sensor on the right side so I assume they messed with the cam parts when they did the swap. I figure I'll need to pull that to check what's really going on under there. The timing cover and crankshaft position sensor are definitely from the 2.3L based on my online parts search. Looking to see if anyone had a suggestion on a good place to start off here.

- Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be for the 2.3L computer- it was having issues (no fire on multiple cylinders, no check engine codes, etc.) so we replaced it. From what I read about the PCU was its ok to keep the 2.3L PCU as long as all the 2.3 parts are used on the conversion to the 2.5 engine. The weird thing is it runs very smooth and nice for about 3-5 minutes before it gets warm and then it starts having a misfire issue. No CEL but we just scanned it with the FIXD app and a P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire code popped up. I dropped it off at the mechanic who did the previous work to diagnose the misfire this morning...seems like its getting spark and fuel on cylinder 1 because it almost died when I unplugged lead to coil and injector. It idles nicely when its having the misfire issue - it only obvious once you start revving.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It should be for the 2.3L computer- it was having issues (no fire on multiple cylinders, no check engine codes, etc.) so we replaced it. From what I read about the PCU was its ok to keep the 2.3L PCU as long as all the 2.3 parts are used on the conversion to the 2.5 engine. The weird thing is it runs very smooth and nice for about 3-5 minutes before it gets warm and then it starts having a misfire issue. No CEL but we just scanned it with the FIXD app and a P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire code popped up. I dropped it off at the mechanic who did the previous work to diagnose the misfire this morning...seems like its getting spark and fuel on cylinder 1 because it almost died when I unplugged lead to coil and injector. It idles nicely when its having the misfire issue - it only obvious once you start revving.
I don't know if the 2.5 had the same issue as the 2.3, but the 2.3 was known for having valve issues that would cause a misfire code and a bit of a skip on motors starting about 80K miles and up (most of them in the 125K range). You may be chasing your tail over a swap issue but it might be more basic. I'd do a compression test followed by a leak down test. Good luck.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I've read as well about the 2.3. Sounds like the 2.5 was supposed to be better... its going back to the mechanic Tuesday to hopefully fix the misfire so I'll have them check the compression. We measured it 6 months ago and it was all within a 5psi range and was pretty high. I added some Marvel Mystery Oil into the engine oil to see if that helps any sticky valves. Seemed to actually help a little - runs a bit smoother but its still got the misfire. The way its acting is so consistent. Runs smooth for about 3 minutes on cold startup and then once warm it hiccups when accelerating. No issues idling. Still has decent power when accelerating but definitely less than it should be. Hoping its a simple issue with the #1 coil....well see.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The way its acting is so consistent. Runs smooth for about 3 minutes on cold startup and then once warm it hiccups when accelerating. No issues idling.
If it's that consistent, it sounds as if the engine starts acting up when the ECU goes into closed loop mode. I wonder if a coolant or air temp sensor is out of calibration or the wrong sensor (you said you changed them all). Scanning for live data before for baseline and after it starts acting up might turn up something.

Still, it's odd that whatever it is is only affecting #1. If the compression test is OK, I would still do a leakdown test.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: ended up being a bad cyl1 coil pack. Bought that full set new so was probably a defective one. Replaced that one with a Motorcraft coil and getting 3 additional packs to match the 1 replaced. Still had some slight hiccups at 2000 rpm but jerking has gone away! Hoping replacing the other packs as well will help the hiccups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts