Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

05 Escape camping rig

32K views 135 replies 18 participants last post by  Mountain Escape 
#1 ·
Bought this 05 Escape for $1800 to take on a big road trip across the western US.

This rusty turd got terrible gas mileage and would have been annoying to camp out of so I sold it:

99 maxima that drank 91 octane and only got 20 mpg.

So the escape is an '05 2.3 with the 5 speed manual. :thumb: Dents and scratches in every body panel, but the interior wasn't completely trashed and it was still young with 141k miles.

Got rid of the stupid step bars and transferred my Jensen VX7020 over from the maxipad.

Took some cutting, but the double din fit great.

Removed the old crappy vatozone tint and replaced the cracked rear bumper cover with one from an 01-04. It doesn't fit quite right, but it fits good enough and looks better than the old one.

I also replaced the plugs and fuel filter with new motorcraft parts. :yes:

See less See more
#2 ·
Interior stripped and degreased for the sleeping platform I'm building.

The spot for the hybrid battery pack was completely wasted on the non-hybrid models. :lol: I think my AR15s will fit in there though. :D

Just barely 6ft of space with the pass seat all the way forward.

I built a 30x38" drawer underneath.

#3 ·
I attempted to fix 1 of the broken lug studs on the right front hub. I discovered it could use some new brakes so I ordered some rotors and semi-metallic pads from advance for $65. Used a $40 off $100 coupon (code TRT41 :thumb: ). I could only find one stud locally though, and I ended up shredding it on install...oh well. 4 out of 5 ain't bad lol. Still a B- right?

I got a bug shield on egay for $35. I always liked the look of them even though I think they don't do diddly squat to deflect bugs. :lol: But it did cover up a huge dent in the hood! I picked up window shades for sleeping in the car too. I dunno if it will be enough airflow though.

I had the windows professional tinted with Llumar 30% up front and 15% out back. I also mounted up a Thule carrier I borrowed from my uncle.

Just a few more little things and then I'll be heading out next week. :D I've only put 1 tank of gas through this car so far. :doh: It feels pretty sturdy though. I hope it will last 15,000 miles without a major hitch until I'm back home. :yes:

My plan is to buy a national park season pass and hit as many as possible before I run out of money. :rockon:

#4 ·
Some of the things I want to do before I left, but I decided to save the money on was paint it OD green or desert tan with these wheels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331848202220

and maybe adding a cheesy brush guard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120988499586

I think it would look pretty tough for a glorified ford focus. :lol: I might get around to these when I return. :yes:

#5 ·
Good luck with it! Guess you won't be going anywhere where 4x4 will be needed? Post pictures of your trip also.

#6 ·
Escape94 said:
Good luck with it! Guess you won't be going anywhere where 4x4 will be needed? Post pictures of your trip also.
I'm going to try to get off the pavement a little bit. I know this car will be limited, but I've been 4-wheeling for many years and I know when to keep myself out of trouble. I will be bringing a couple tow straps just to be prepared though. :yes:

#7 ·
I agree with others about posting pics during your trip if possible.

You are doing all the right things in my opinion. I am doing the same thing with my used Class A motorcoach. I started going through all the mechanical systems and making sure they are good. :yes:

Enjoy your trip. :thumb:

#8 ·
looks excellent compared to what you started with :thumb: :thumb:

#10 ·
So, I thought the oil dipstick was just shitty, but this thing is actually burning a ton of oil. 5 quarts so far in about 3000 miles.

I changed it before I left and I put 4.5 quarts in, but I had trouble reading the stick with the fresh oil. I checked it again in Alabama and I had nothing on the stick so I put a quart in. Still nothing on the stick. It's not leaking a drop and I didn't see any smoke so I kept driving.

That's until I was going up some mountains in Tucson, AZ and the oil light came on going around a tight bend. Ruh-roh! I dumped the rest of the 5qt jug I had in it.

Is this generally considered to be a pcv/pcv hose problem? The car runs great besides and doesn't overheat so I don't think the headgasket is bad.

At least I made it to my grandparent's house so I might be able to replace the pcv while I'm here, but I don't want to keep driving and putting oil in it and kill the catalytic converter.

#11 ·
Well I replaced the PCV valve, hose, and a set of intake gaskets. I had limited tools, so I had to cut the old hose off, but it didn't look like it was in that bad of shape. The intake runners seemed excessively oily though and were all wet to the touch. I guess I will know if that was the problem in a few days.

I didn't want to break the clip on the PCV valve, so I removed the whole plastic side cover on the crankcase. I didn't think anyone would have that o-ring available on a Sunday, I reused the old one. I hope that doesn't start leaking...I think this is the first car I've owned that didn't leak something. I just got finished tracing a leak on the small block chevy in my truck to a bent timing cover. It would almost leak out as fast as you could put it in.

And I'm not sure why they bothered to put a V6 in these. The 2.3 has plenty of pep with the 5 speed. I bet the newer ecoboosts are fun to drive. :D

#13 ·
Nice views! looks like fun :yes:

#16 ·
7 Hours?! :doh: You must have felt like you were :wall: and most definitely :rant: all the while!

GREAT shots, man...Do you have a drone? The footage you could take while on your journey would be phenominal!

#19 ·
Yeah the digging sucked. Next time I'm near harborfreight I will buy a come along even though that probably wouldn't have helped in that situation if i had one.

I don't have a drone. Probably never will now that you need a permit/license whatever to fly it. Ridiculous...

I'll post some more pictures in a few days. I'm stopping back at my grandparent's house in phoenix again before I go into CA and up the west coast.

Here is the spot I stopped at tonight in Flagstaff. There were 9 elk grazing just after I took this photo. Surprisingly I have cell service, but I'm near a popular lake destination so that is probably why. The smoke is from a nearby forest fire a few miles away.

Yesterday was day 21, still have 9+ weeks left. A little over 6000 miles so far. I stopped logging my fuel mileage but I'm still getting between 24 and 33mpg depending on the wind and speed limit. Average seems to be about 27.

And I almost took my truck that got 9mpg with no a/c or cruise control. I'm glad I made the last minute decision to sell my car for the escape. :)

#21 ·
A slot canyon in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in Utah

Grosvenor Arch in Grand Staircase

Where I stopped for the night in Grand Staircase

View down into the canyon from my campsite at Goosenecks State Park, Utah

Monument Valley AZ/UT border

A petrified log that now spans a wash in Petrified Forest National Park

#22 ·
Canyon de Chelly, Arizona

Shiprock, New Mexico

This was from El Morro National Monument in New Mexico. The Pueblo people carved petrographs into the bluff near a pool of water, then the Spanish conquistadors carved into the rock when they passed through, and finally the US Army and pioneers in mid 1800s. The first carving in English into the bluff had a misspelling of the word "inscriptions". :lol:

#25 ·
Squirrel said:
Stunning pictures... :drool:
couldnt agree more :drool: :drool: :drool: