Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. Om new to this forum. So I bought an 05 escape 3.0 xlt sport. With 160k. A couple months ago and it says on line 31 hwy-36city mpg . I get nowhere close to that . I am lucky if I get 120, miles to the tank. I drive normally and mostly highway miles. Tbe truck runs fine no skipping, no engine light, brakes good wheel bearing are on my rear are new I just did them my fronts are starting to whine a little. But other than that I can't find any reason for that kind of milage. I had a1970 chevy Camaro z28 &1\2 with a 350. Bored out to a 383ci. With a stroker lower. And I got better milage . And my 2000 f250 v10 got better milage . Anyone else have same issue ? Any fixes that can help me out plz ? Thanks for your time
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
I think the tank on that version is 16 gallons, so you are getting less than 10 miles per gallon, 120 vs 160. If the O2 sensors are worn out, they will report a 'lean' condition, i.e., very low voltage. That misinformation could cause the computer to attempt to compensate with extra fuel, leading to poor fuel economy.
You should be able to check the upstream O2 sensor output, the long term fuel trim and the short term fuel trim using a scan tool and software(Forscan is good for Ford products). You also may be able to read the MAF - mass air flow - reading indicating air flow into the engine, which would indicate if it is functional, and approximately close on the volume of air being ingested.
Those figures should give you a good indication of whether the problem is in some emissions/control devices or you have other mechanical problems.
One other semi test would be to check that the brakes are not dragging excessively. While moving down the road, put the transmission in neutral(foot off the gas) and see if the vehicle seems to coast down normally or slows down quicker than expected. You may be able to sense the feeling of deceleration due to dragging brakes vs the normal deceleration of a car coasting to a stop.
tom

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
The EPA rating on a 2005 3.0 FWD is 17 city, 23 highway, 19 combined. If it is AWD then it is 16 city, 20 highway, 17 combined.

Not even the Hybrid gets the kind of numbers you are talking about.

But 120 miles a tank is probably a lot less than 19mpg, but 120 mpg per tank is basically meaningless when figuring mileage. Compute the Mileage per gallon. If you used 15 of the 16.5 gallons in the tank, and went 120 miles, then you are getting around 8 mpg.

How many miles are on it? Spark plugs look okay/been replaced? Air Filter? Tire Pressure?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts