Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been searching around but cant really find any detailed info on this.

went to install the u-haul hitch on my 05 but i cant figure out how im suposed to get the large bolts with the square plates into the U-frame. the instructions say there is an opening on both sides however "one might need to be enlargened" but i cant seem to find any big enough.

i read somewhere i might have to take off the back bumper, is this true?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Sometimes the hitch people manufacture things do so in a way that hitches are meant to be installed in a shop. This one size fits all (or most) mentality means you need to be kinda savy in doing some on-the-fly re-engineering. :yes:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not sure how much the install changed from the 05' to 09' model but there maybe be some helpful hints in this thread.
Good luck with your install and happy holidays. :beer:

(No Bounds pack includes the towing package - didn't need to install anything)

·
Registered
5 Posts
That video in the other tread should work. I used it to install a hitch myself on my '08 escape hybrid. The big/difficult thing is using the stove pipe wire to feed the bolts. It also helps to have 2 people. 1 to hold the hitch in pace while the other bolts.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I tried the wire to install the bolts and the ends of frame rails on my '05 Tribute. The passenger side was open, but the driver side had a shipping hold down plate blocking the rail. I ended up removing the rear bumper cover and the shipping plate, and had access to install the bolts without using the wire. Took like 10 extra mins. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.