Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this 05 escape and I've noticed alot of road noise. I've just put new michelin latitude tires on and that has helped some. I'm finding out that some road noise is normal. The other problem that I'm still having is that when I take off from a stop the car shakes and vibrates from the front end. If I accelerate slowly it doesn't do it as bad, but the faster I take off the worse it shakes and vibrates. I'm thinking it's a front axle joint? Has anyone had this same problem and what was it? :worry:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had same thing in my 2002 but is was more a grinding noise and a little shaking in the front end. I was the front and rear motor mounts. the mounts were torn and letting the engine and trans tilt back causing noise and vibration. I repaired them with PL polyurethane roof patch i got from lowes. I cleaned the mounts with degreaser and then soap and filled them in completely, let dry for 2-3 days and no more problems, tranny shifts a little stiffer now but hey my 2002 always shifted soft before even after rebuild.

hope this may help

·
Registered
516 Posts
Also check for worn inner CV joints (tripod or tulip joints) on the front axle shafts.

If you accelerate while in reverse the vibration or rumbling may be more pronounced.

It may also be in the front outer CV joints but that noise is usually more pronounced on cornering the vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it 4WD? If so i bet its the U-joints...I had a 05' do the same exact thing the front joint was bad but the rear one was froze right up. People said you wouldent feel a bad u joint in the steering wheel on feel like a front end noise but i did. Check it out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's a front wheel drive only. I checked the mounts and they look ok to me. I tried putting the car in drive with my foot on the brake and reving the moter abit to see if the motor rocks around any and everything looks tight. I'm leaning towads a front axle being the problem, but not sure how to test or check them.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Easy to check.
Get underneath.Grab the half axle close to the inner boot and try to shake it up and down.If it shakes, even a little, the CV joint is kaput.Do the same with the outside CV joint.Then check the other side's half axle.
If it is a half axle issue you should here a cracking noise when taking slow tight turns and at heavy accelerations you should feel a wobbling shake in your seat, up and down and left and right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did some pulling on the front axles and couldn't find any play. I guess I'll have to do the waiting game till it gets worse then maybe I'll be able to see what's causing the vibration. The good side to this is that it makes me eccelerate slowly giving me better gas mileage! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.