Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, new to this board and already have a question.

Our 05 Mariner has the rear disc brakes that were an option in 2005. I tried ordering Hawk HPS pads from Tire Rack and when I enter the Make & Model almost all the pads have a note that reads "Front brake pads. For models with rear drum brakes." Keep in mind I'm buying these for the front brakes, not the rear.

When I called Tire Rack to double check they told me that the fronts discs are a different fitment depending on whether or not the rear were disc or drum. Is this correct? That seems strange to me unless maybe the front discs are larger as part of the rear disc option? Any suggestions? I'm looking for a pad with some really good stopping power, the OEM pads are terrible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BronxBombers said:
Hello Everyone, new to this board and already have a question.

Our 05 Mariner has the rear disc brakes that were an option in 2005. I tried ordering Hawk HPS pads from Tire Rack and when I enter the Make & Model almost all the pads have a note that reads "Front brake pads. For models with rear drum brakes." Keep in mind I'm buying these for the front brakes, not the rear.

When I called Tire Rack to double check they told me that the fronts discs are a different fitment depending on whether or not the rear were disc or drum. Is this correct? That seems strange to me unless maybe the front discs are larger as part of the rear disc option? Any suggestions? I'm looking for a pad with some really good stopping power, the OEM pads are terrible.
Hello,

Currently Hawk does not have a brake pad for the Escape / Mariner / Tribute vehicles equipped with rear disc or the 2008/09 models. The company I work for is a Hawk distributor and I have been in contact with Hawk suggesting they produce a new pad that will fit the newer and rear disc equipped vehicles (for selfish and buisness reasons as I think the HPS compound would be an excellent upgrade from the OEM pads).

If any of you with the later or rear disc equipped vehicles are interested in having a Hawk brake pad produced for your application, fill out the request form on the Hawk website because the more requests they get the sooner they will R&D and produce a product.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I believe the front brakes were smaller for rear discs.

I have had Satisfied Pro Ceramics for the past 60,000 km now and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Squishy said:
I believe the front brakes were smaller for rear discs.

I have had Satisfied Pro Ceramics for the past 60,000 km now and am very happy with them.
The earlier vehicles equipped with rear drum brakes came with 11" diameter front brake rotors, and the rear disc equipped and also 2008/09 vehicles came with 11.9" rotors (later vehicles also came with larger rear drum brakes vs the 2007 and older models).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.