Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm replacing the transfer case on my 05 and pulled the drain plug. A metallic sludge comes slowly oozing out. Hopefully this is just a collection in the bottom and not an indication of what lies inside.
Liquid Food Ingredient Whole-wheat flour Recipe

This is with a magnet under the drip pan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting.
Wondering, had this ever been serviced, and did it have any symptoms?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it in June and know nothing other than what I have done. It started off sounding like a wheel bearing going until it started hanging up and being noisy, like bowling balls in a clothes dryer.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Since you are replacing it, it shouldn't really matter. I doubt it any of the wear is from the axle that goes through it, it is likely all bearing and gears.

My 2012 Fusion AWD doesn't have a drain, and I wasn't able to siphon anything that looked metallic, just very viscous black junk, not to say there wasn't any of that in there, I need to do it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on posting pics once I get that far. I'm expecting epic destruction when I do open the cover.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Gear

This is what mine looked like when I opened it up. Of course it was filled with silver paste, a mix of the gear oil with the metal flakes and particles.

Sounded like a box of rocks when in motion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts