Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noobie on the board, and have already founds some excellent information but not exactly what Im looking for. On my wifes 05 Escape V6 AWD 77K miles it has recently had trouble starting. It starts up everytime but only after cranking the engine over several seconds. When it is running it runs great! Nice smooth Idle, plenty of power, etc... I have replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, intake plenum gaskets (only because I changed the spark plugs), seafoamed the fuel system and intake (1/3 bottle siphoned in through brake booster hose), and have a coolant temp sensor on order. I noticed yesterday that if I turn the key to the ON position and let the fuel pump pressurize the system, then it starts like usual. Does this sound like a fuel pressure regulator? I have tried to find the schrader valve on the fuel system to perform a leak down test and for the life of me cannot find it. I have also read that someone had a battery that was starting to go south, replaced the battery and everything was good to go. Would a load test on the battery be beneficial? This is the original battery. Long post I know, but am really hoping some of the Escape Gurus can help me out. Thanks :beer:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Once a battery is 5 years old, any time I have any types of trouble starting a car, that's where I start. It's quick and easy, and has always fixed any hard starting problems I have had.

Once it's that old, I just replace so I don't worry about it. Never did the load test.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Changing the battery with a reputable one would also be my first step since everything else works normal.
At start-up process the pressure regulator has little to do with firing up the engine.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I had the exact same problem and noticed the same 'turn the key' & 'pressurize the system' effect... But for me, it only happened when it got really cold out. I took my Escape to Sears & had them check the battery. Guess what... it was bad. It had a good run but after 70k+ miles and 7 years I got it replaced. No starting problems since then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, last night I took the Escape to Sears to get the battery tested and it did test bad. So I went ahead and replaced the battery and hoped for the best. This morning the wife hops in and it fires right up! :yahoo: Im going to give this another week just so the PCM can relearn and see what happens. Thanks for everyones replies!! :beer:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
You should be just fine. When they changed the battery, they should have connected a system that keeps the computer intact. Did you have to reprogram your radio after they changed the battery? If not, then they connected it to the system and your computer should not have been wiped...

Glad it was a simple fix :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts